Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on which is better for xc riding? Not racing just some good single track with a few rock gardens.

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
ETSX has much more BB clearance so is better at technical trail surfaces. The Element is much more like a hardtail with a bit of cush in feel. There is enough suspension activity on the Element to improve climbing on moderately rough climbs, but it doesn't feel the same as the ETSX on technical climbs. The ETSX definitely has an edge on rock gardens.

The ETSX is about 1 pound heavier and definitely doesn't feel as racey as the Element.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
the ETSX has the extra travel (without a huge weight penalty) but the element has some sublime handling. hard choice....i'd take the element for pure XC...

·
Registered
264 Posts
etsx for general trail and xc spins! etsx 50 or 70 would be perfect....... RM may not be cheap but they are dam well built and do what it says on the tin!

was heading up a very long climb yesterday and there was 0 bob on my etsx team, on my old stumpy it was like a pogo stick! as for the variuos travel adjustments I leave it in 120 on the front and back (or 4.5 inches) perfect for most trail riding here in Ireland! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2003 ETSX and was thinking of a new frame. I have done all the upgrading and everything but the fork and rear shock arenew. I like the bike but I need to upgrade fork to a fox talas and get a new rear shock ( BOTH LEAK AIR). If I spend $1000.00 on a fork and shock, I still have a 2003 frame (paint is scratched). Since I have put so much into it I was wondering If I should go all the way and buy a new frame?

·
Registered
264 Posts
rockyuphill said:
A new frame would be somewhere around $1800-ish for an ETSX, plus a fork. The new TALAS or the 2008 Marz XC700 is about $700.
there is a guy on ebay nomandee or something he's genuine, check him out for good deals on ETSX bikes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts