Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm jonesing for an ETSX and I made my way to the local RM dealer last night. The prices I got for complete bikes (I may buy a frame) are:
ETSX-30 - $2200
ETSX-50 - $2800
ETSX-70 - $3300

First, do these prices sound OK to you? It looked like they were reading them right of a RM price sheet. Second, there doesn't seem to be vast difference in componentry from model to model. What model is the best "deal" (not nec. cheapest)? Are the differences in suspenion significant? Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those are close. Go to the review section specificaly free ride. Look up the ETSX and you will find posts listing the prices peeps paid. They vary quite a bit but the prices you posted are in the ball park for what I paid. Always try to deal a little sometimes you get a couple hundred dollars break.

·
Registered
939 Posts
it depends on what you want really. It will always be cheaper to buy a bike complete rather than building it up. Other than that, i would say go with the components you want. the higher end models probably have more bells and whistles than the 30, lock-outs on the shocks, compression dampening, etc, lighter parts. I bought a 2004 Slayer 30 last year because I couldnt afford the 50 and i have been upgrading parts since i bought it, plus it gave me the option of customizing my parts little by little. I would never want lockouts on my shocks so dont want to pay xtra for that, but am willing to pay xtra for a nice seatpost/stem, a saddle i really like, or nice riser bars. If I could have afforded the 50 at the time I would have bought it because the fork and wheelset were far superior than the ones that came on mine, but my limit was 2K. check the reviews as well.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I Just went through the same thing as you last fall when purchasing an '05 ETSX. I went the route of buying the 30 model and then spending some of the difference in price between what the 30 model and 50 model cost to make the 30 model a better bike for me than the 50 would have been. I felt that this was by far the best deal as most of the parts that were considered upgrades on the 50 were not things I would want anyways. I don't like the shape of the RaceFace handleabr on 50 (bought a FSA K-Force riser), I don't like the RaceFace Evolve XC seatpost due to very little angular adjustemnt on 50 (bought a Raceface XY), the stem is better but may not be the correct size for you, the wheelset is quite a bit better on the 50, the disc brakes aren't much different on the 50, I didn't want dual control levers and centerlock hubs that came on the 50 model, I am not a fan of how Raceface cranks shift so the Evolve XC crank wasn't an upgrade for me, I already use Time pedals so the eagbeatter pedals weren't an upgrade, etc....

The suspension is just as good on the '05 ETSX-30 as the 50, it wasn't that way for '04 and back. The only differences are you lose the RP3 shock for a custom valved propedal float (which matches the bike perfect) and you lose the lockout on the fork.

After upgrading my ETSX-30 and still keeping the cost below the price of the 50, it now weighs 28-28.5 lbs in 18" frame size. Next to come are Crankset, wheelset and disc brakes in that order.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know, I really wish I could get the ETSX Nitrous Special Edition and build it up but that is definitely out of the budget. So do you really think the fork and rear shock are plenty good on the 30? That's a big concern of mine.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
mrgorth said:
You know, I really wish I could get the ETSX Nitrous Special Edition and build it up but that is definitely out of the budget. So do you really think the fork and rear shock are plenty good on the 30? That's a big concern of mine.
The fork works exactly the same other than the lockout on the 50 model and the lockout + compression adjustment on the 70 model, you need to decide if you would use them (I wouldn't pay for them personally).

The shock works exactly the same as the higher models (same damping and everything) except you do not get adjustable ProPedal (no RP3). The shock comes custom valved for the ETSX frame to give somewhere close to the middle setting (maybe slightly less) of the RP3 shock. I have rode both the RP3 equipped and non RP3 and was happy with the amount of ProPedal in the 30 model shock, you may not be. The ETSX is such a good frame design that it does not require a lot of ProPedal to work correctly.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, thanks for your help. Second, I'm not worried about a lockout on the fork but I do lockout my rear shock if I'm going to tool around town. I wish I could tell if I would even notice the propedal. I guess one of my only things is that I think I have compression adjustment on the Vanilla that came on my Element and on the Marzochi Bam Z.2 fork. If it's not than I have no idea what those knobs are for ;). If it is than I just have a mental thing about going from shocks w/ compression adjustment to shocks w/o it. I'd probably never miss it, I can't afford the 70 and I don't like the paint job anyhow so I guess I just have to have faith in RM.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
you dont need a lock out on this bike

If you were going all the way up to the 70 you would get not only lockout but compression dampening which I have found to be a big diference and a threshold adjustment which adjust how much force is requiered to open up the fork when locked out if set up properly this can be used to create a stable platform fork. I also realy like being able to turn off my pro pedal on the rear shock you can only do this with the RP3 on the 50 and 70 also you get X type cranks on the 50 and 70 which are lighter and stiffer The 30 is the same great frame and ride but you might end up spending more on upgrades in the first year than if you just purchase the 70 model right from the start.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or if I could just buy the Nitrous SE and build it up like I want. I wonder how much stuff I could steal off of my Element. Stem, bars, seatpost, cranks and derailleurs maybe? Note: It's a 2000 Element and it's too small for me (18").

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Sell the Element

mrgorth said:
Or if I could just buy the Nitrous SE and build it up like I want. I wonder how much stuff I could steal off of my Element. Stem, bars, seatpost, cranks and derailleurs maybe? Note: It's a 2000 Element and it's too small for me (18").
With the monye you get from the sale you should be able to make up for most of the price diference. I have road aTalas R and now a pushed Talas RLC and I think the compresion adjustment is a big plus. As far as swaping parts from one bike to anouther I think they have diferent seapost sizes and you probably dont want 2000 model year cranks anymore anyway. Personaly I think the finish on the 70 is better than the Nitrous anyway.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well of course that's all taste. I like white on a mt.bike and if they stuck with the '04 color scheme I would be selling my soul for a 70. Thanks for your help.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
the white is nice

One of my friends has a white one from last year and I have an 05 black one they are built up with alot of the same stuff we look like two cowboys the good guy in white and the bad guy in black. anouther one of my friends GearHead has a blue x-30 and his friend rides 03 x-50 if we ever all get out together we are going to look a little foolish I recon.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
One of my friends has a white one from last year and I have an 05 black one they are built up with alot of the same stuff we look like two cowboys the good guy in white and the bad guy in black. anouther one of my friends GearHead has a blue x-30 and his friend rides 03 x-50 if we ever all get out together we are going to look a little foolish I recon.
We looked that way when just the three of us were out the other weekend, it doesn't help that we all ride very similar too.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What I'd like to do is get the frame, the talas RLC and Mavic Crossmax XLs. That's what I'm jonesing for. What do you guys think about brakes? The 30 comes with 525s, the 50 with LXs and the 70 with XT. I've also heard very good things about the Avids.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
sounds like my bike

I have Cross max XL's and a TALAS RLC with Marta's. The breaks that come on the 30 work great they are boat ancors though. The 50 has those goofey shimano dual control levers so I would change those up right away.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Johnny Hair Boy said:
I have Cross max XL's and a TALAS RLC with Marta's. The breaks that come on the 30 work great they are boat ancors though. The 50 has those goofey shimano dual control levers so I would change those up right away.
How do you like the XLs? I'll probably even get those if I get the ETSX-30.(upgrade at the shop)

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Best wheels on the market

They are bomb proof and light (not stupid light) the free hub maitenence is easy regardless of what outhers say If you can set your gears you can do it yourself. I have bean running mine with stans sealent in regular non tubles tires and have had 0 issues once you get it to seal it is awsome.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
mrgorth said:
What I'd like to do is get the frame, the talas RLC and Mavic Crossmax XLs. That's what I'm jonesing for. What do you guys think about brakes? The 30 comes with 525s, the 50 with LXs and the 70 with XT. I've also heard very good things about the Avids.
Deore 525 disc brakes work great, good modulation/power, have a nice lever shape, and are really easy to set-up and adjsut for your bike.

However, they come with resin brakes pads which really suck and weigh a tonne.

I would not recommend them if you were thinking of buying new brakes, as a minimum get the Deore 555 which are quite a bit lighter and come with semi-metallic pads.

The new XTR disc brakes are really nice if you are thinking Shimano, lots of other good brands to choose from too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.