Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would get this started. Had been looking for rider reviews on the tire and was not finding anything.

I picked up an EThirteen semislick LG1enduro casing race tire, 29x2.35. I am on a YT Capra cf pro race 29. When I got the bike I immediately swapped from the stock EThirteen tires to my tried and true DHF/Aggressor exo 2.5WT combo. I also have an Ibis Ripley LS, on that bike I have a DHF 2.6 front and a Nobby Nic 2.6 back. I hate the Nic. I will use these tires as reference points.

I ride in North Jersey, Ringwood about 50 percent of the time. It is rugged terrain, very technical, lots of body english required to navigate steep turns without striking the pedals. It has plenty of dirt. Plenty of sizable off camber rock faces which can be a ***** if there is any moisture. Baby head rocks which love to dent/crack rims.

I left the DHF on the front, took the aggressor off and put on the semislick. Semislick pumped up to 22.

I rode on a damp day, it rained all night but we have had a lot of rain and miraculously the woods are managing the water great. Rocks can still be slick, but the dirt is close to hero. I had been riding in these same conditions on my other set ups as well.

The semislick with the enduro casing, race compound was every bit as fast as the aggressor and the handling was just as good. It spun up real fast and handled off camber rockface on climbs beautifully. I personally believe that a really good tire keeps you insulated from how bad a surface may be and let you focus on pressing forward. That is exactly how this tire behaves. Super predictable in every situation I have thrown at it. Very reliable. I did not have to think about the tire at all. It rolls real well, climbed real well. And with that casing, I never even came close to a rim strike on the baby heads. Aside from the robustness of the casing and the faster spin-up, there wasn’t a discernible difference from the aggressor. I consider this a pretty solid compliment.

EThirteen seemed perfect on first guess at 22, this leads be to believe there is a pretty big sweet spot. The only downside I am seeing is the wear. I got the race compound so it is real grippy and soft, I am imagining 200 to 300 miles at most.

The Nobby Nic in the same situation rolls well, lots of volume and awesome in hero dirt situations, but they are crap on off camber rock faces, wet or dry. One strong pedal stroke and you are on your ass. The volume makes it very difficult to nail correct tire pressure (always either to hard or too soft, no sweet spot).

I put the Nobby Nic on the bench. Took my beat up aggressor and put it on the Ripley until I decide on what to put on it next.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good review, I actually ride the same trails as I live in Manhattan and regularly ride Alpine, Sprain, Blue, Sterling, Ringwood, etc. So I know the terrain very well. Ringwood is what made me go to a ‘bigger’ bike...

I’m currently riding a newer Santa Cruz Bronson with their Reserve 30 carbon wheels. Geared up I’m hovering right around 200lbs.

I’ve always liked my Maxxis set-up of a DHF/DHRII or Agressor out back, EXO. But saving 100g per tire with Schwalbe Snakeskin sounds good and the reviews on the newer Addix stuff seem promising. The Magic Mary always seems to get great reviews.

I’ve been eyeing up the following set-ups...
DHF/Aggressor (proven)
Magic Mary/Hans Dampf II
E13 TRS/SemiSlick

How would you compare the feel and sidewall of the E13 vs Maxxis EXO?

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I recently replaced my Schwalbe HD2 Snakeskin soft with the E13 Semi Slick Single Ply Race for Summer. The E13 may have a bit less sidewall support and I am running a psi or2 more. Traction here on dry Vancouver Island has been great. The braking grip is not fantastic in loose dry, but who cares. Still have my Magic Mary up front and feel that this is a fast combo for me. I wish the shop had bright in the single compound for durability.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@cobrakillerta, sidewall is definitely a bit more robust than the EXO. I have been a big fan of Maxxis tires for a long time, this tire is right up there in terms of capability. Casing is robust enough on the Enduro series that it never crosses my mind. It is a lot less pliable than the EXO, meaning I feel a lot less flex in hard cornering in high grip situations. Let me know if this makes sense... probably right between EXO and double down. I have also increased pressure up to 26psi.

@legbacon.. you are dead on with your comment on braking.. as the ground is drying out, I notice it. I recently had a couple of “oh ****, where is my break” moments, but only because I wasn’t expecting it. Now that I am prepared, no issue at all, easy to adjust to.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roughly one month in, approximately 100 miles, give or take. Since my original post the weather here has been pretty good, especially the last two weeks. Ground conditions are peak.

The tire is doing everything as well as the aggressor did, it accelerates faster and once up to speed, it is not too much work to keep it there.

Included are some pictures showing treadwear and width.

Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire Synthetic rubber Bicycle accessory

Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Just got the first ride in on mine. My first impressions are that this tire is excellent, very fast and plenty of traction. It was dry loose over hard, some hard pack and even a bit of fresh loam. I didn't miss the DHR2 I took off the rear at all. The e13 has way more traction than I expected. I think it has more traction than the 2.6 Rekon on my hardtail and rolls faster too.

The only downside is that it was so hard to mount on my rim. I had to use tire levers and even then it was a bear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which compound and casing did you go with?

Just got the first ride in on mine. My first impressions are that this tire is excellent, very fast and plenty of traction. It was dry loose over hard, some hard pack and even a bit of fresh loam. I didn't miss the DHR2 I took off the rear at all. The e13 has way more traction than I expected. I think it has more traction than the 2.6 Rekon on my hardtail and rolls faster too.

The only downside is that it was so hard to mount on my rim. I had to use tire levers and even then it was a bear.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting, I have seen something similar for others going tubeless on the YT Capra forums. In those instances, they reached out to ethirteen and ethirteen quickly resolved the issue. Not ideal but it seems to be more than one instance and at least they will cover you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You may have a defective sidewall. Good luck with it. Sucks if it becomes a problem.

I just did a 30 mile ride on it, super happy. So easy to push the pedals. Great grip when I needed it (blew out a spoke on a turn due to the grip) Hero conditions.

Regular Stan's. No issues with it on any other tires.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Mine came with a shitty sidewall and it's going back to the shop tomorrow. With air it was pretty awesome, I never new when it would go flat though:(.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.