Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had to really crank on it and finally got it to line up enough to fit. I have removed it a time or two to work on some things and it fits fine now. It was just really hard to get to line up and even seat together the first time, even with the bb tool and a chain whip. Since then, I can just cam it in place by hand and the hole for the set screw lines up. I'm on I9 hubs FWIW.
Much appreciate your response.

Our experience was similar in terms of the initial difficulty for the two clusters to line up; yes, much easier now. That said, even though the hole and the slot for the set screw line up, we can't engage the threads at the 42T. Seems like the set screw will not be recessed/flush to the cog like on other ethirteen cassettes and their instructions. This is frustrating....

I'll report back once we hear from ethirteen. Thanks again...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought one (12 speed) and, for the first time ever, had to take a cassette to my LBS for them to install it. I use a Hope hub so, a spacer was used for the 42-50T cluster. That said, the mechanic can't get the set-screw to clear the slot machined in the cog. Tolerancing issues maybe?

From your pictures, I can't tell if the set-screw head is resting on the 36T cog or the cog's machined slot (semicircle) is over it. Any advice or comment on how to proceed? I've contacted ethirteen and currently await a response. Thanks!
I bought one (12 speed) and, for the first time ever, had to take a cassette to my LBS for them to install it. I use a Hope hub so, a spacer was used for the 42-50T cluster. That said, the mechanic can't get the set-screw to clear the slot machined in the cog. Tolerancing issues maybe?

From your pictures, I can't tell if the set-screw head is resting on the 36T cog or the cog's machined slot (semicircle) is over it. Any advice or comment on how to proceed? I've contacted ethirteen and currently await a response. Thanks!
Mine (11spd) was difficult at first as well, after trying a couple times I just really took a good look at contact points and figured out exactly where to lube- after that it just kinda 'went. The indicator arrow is a bit past the lock picture on the cog, I lined up the two holes as close as possible (I had removed the set screw) and then installed to proper torque. That set the screw head deep enough so it didn't interfere with the chain. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine (11spd) was difficult at first as well, after trying a couple times I just really took a good look at contact points and figured out exactly where to lube- after that it just kinda 'went. The indicator arrow is a bit past the lock picture on the cog, I lined up the two holes as close as possible (I had removed the set screw) and then installed to proper torque. That set the screw head deep enough so it didn't interfere with the chain. Hope that helps...
Thanks!

So....is the set screw head inside of the slot machined into the 36T cog or does it rest on top of it?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I couldn't get the steel cog to rotate enough to install the set screw, so just put the wheel on the bike, the chain on the steel cogs, stomped on the pedals, and it was lined up perfectly.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
I couldn't get the steel cog to rotate enough to install the set screw, so just put the wheel on the bike, the chain on the steel cogs, stomped on the pedals, and it was lined up perfectly.

Excellent idea; thanks! Did the indicator go past the lock sign too?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I mounted up the 11 speed Helix on to my AXS.
Made a few adjustments and set the high limit so it wouldn't try to shift to a non-existent 12th gear.
The goal was to have a wide ratio transmission and to get rid of the very low first gear (48-52t) that I find useless anyways.
It seems to shift very well, but the real test comes tomorrow on the trails.

How‘s it run? I have been thinking of doing this as well?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Update on my situation: E-thirteen sent me an updated steel cluster (looks like mine was a 1st release) where they enlarged the hole where the set screw head sits. I was able to install it and I'm very happy with my purchase. The shift quality with my GX lunar rear mech - XO1 chain is flawless. Coming from an 11 speed XO1, the addition of the 50T has been a game changer for me.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
How‘s it run? I have been thinking of doing this as well?
Best shifting cassette I've ever ran. Shifts so well that I was on the verge of ordering a 2nd one for my wife's bike. Was taking power shifts like HG+, perfectly.

Unfortunately the Al 11th gear bent about 5-8 rides in. Not from an impact btw, likely from applying power while shifting.

Per previous experience E13 warranty service is exceptional. Although I had paid an upcharge for the blue longer wearing cassette and due to lack of inventory had to accept a gold replacement that matches nothing on my bike.

Now I'm a bit gun shy about the cassette. When 1st gear bends you'll lose 1st & 2nd gear so you can still ride back in 3rd+.

I rode the replacement for the first time yesterday and once again, it shifts very nicely. However I'm being extra gentle on it while shifting because of fear of it being damaged again. If the new XTR release next month includes a WR 11 speed I'll 100% swap for reliability and to prevent ruined bike trips and move the Helix to my wife's bike as she isn't very strong and has the exact same complaint I had about 12 speeds, gears being to close.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

41 - 52 of 52 Posts