Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the initial reviews on Pinkbike and such, I haven't seen any other posts/reviews/etc on this cassette. I tried searching, but haven't found anything on MTBR either.

Anyone running this cassette? How do you like it? Longevity issues? Shifting issues?

This seems to be the holy grail product I'm looking for, as it will enable me to move over to a Shimano shifter/derailleur setup with my XD drivers.

I've got 3 bikes/wheelsets, so it's too expensive to move to Microspline, and I can buy an XT shifter/derailleur AND the e13 cassette for what it costs me for one X01 SRAM cassette.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Following also

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
The only version I've seen in stock has been purple. I almost pulled the trigger for 20% off, but just couldn't.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
These seem to be selling out pretty fast...especially with the 20% off. There was stock a few days ago when I checked.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ive been using it with sram stuff (AXS and X01) and I have no complaints, i have the bronze cassette and looks even better in person.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cool, so you'd buy it again vs going back to the XX1/X01 cassette?
I only paid 240 for it.. so, yes. I always ran 30t with my eagle setup due to some knee issues, with this cassette I get the higher range to, and I can keep my 30 t rings, plus I save 40 grams or so. . The new 32t with the 52 tooth cog isn't as low as a 30t- 50t. Shifting performance is no different, durability is yet to be determined. I'm curious how people get along with a shimano set up.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Same shifting performance" is what I'm hoping for. That, by itself, would be worth it to me.

I want to hear a couple more positive reviews, but I'm close in pulling the trigger for my winter drivetrain rebuild. Moving from XX1 11 speed to 12 speed Shimano. XTR shifter, XT der, and this cassette.

·
Class Clown
2,955 Posts
Any word on a microspline version in the works? The 9t would be nice to have. Suppose I could just buy an XD driver and swap it between wheelsets but would be nice to avoid that.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Interested as well in trying to run the 11 speed Helix on my AXS just cause I've always wanted wider ratios and I feel the range is sufficient. Also, I'm WW.
Should be able to just turn in the low limit and make the AXS an 11 speed correct?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
Other than the initial reviews on Pinkbike and such, I haven't seen any other posts/reviews/etc on this cassette. I tried searching, but haven't found anything on MTBR either.

Anyone running this cassette? How do you like it? Longevity issues? Shifting issues?

This seems to be the holy grail product I'm looking for, as it will enable me to move over to a Shimano shifter/derailleur setup with my XD drivers.

I've got 3 bikes/wheelsets, so it's too expensive to move to Microspline, and I can buy an XT shifter/derailleur AND the e13 cassette for what it costs me for one X01 SRAM cassette.
You don't need a new cassette to run shimano shifter & mech. I run a Shimano mech & shifter with Sram chain and X01 12 spd cassette. Works great. They mix n match just fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just installed the blue Helix R 12 on my 2020
Stumpy Evo. I have some adjusting to do as shifting is way off replacing a GX with about 800 miles on it (no real “light” miles though).

I have a XX1 chain with about 200 miles on it so that end should be good, no idea if this swap affects chain length as it shouldn’t?

Will post up impressions - scale does say it’s 100g lighter as advertised. The blue is gorgeous if you want that bling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First ride after getting all the adjustments set yesterday. Some unexpected snow where Colorado Springs is often terrain shielded in small storms, but plenty good to get an initial impression of the Helix R.

To start, always have to be careful evangelizing anything new, because well, it’s new. And one ride is one ride.

Having said that, it is very smooth and precise, a lot better than the GX was new (2020 Stumpjumper Evo) and it feels at least on par with the XX1 on my Stumpy ST.

But again, the XX1 isn’t brand new and it’s impossible to compare outside of those initial impressions. But I’m still using GX derailleur and shifter, relatively new XX1 chain, and damn, it’s tight shifting with excellent power delivery, a massive upgrade in aging GX -> Helix R.

I always felt that GX was fine as an everyday workhorse group set (and still do), but at this price point if the performance holds up that stuff is relegated to the parts (dust) bin.

I’m also not an obsessive maintainer - I keep my chain lubed and do the periodic degreasing, but my bike isn’t basically new before every ride. I like to evaluate gear from at least some perspective of rode hard and put away wet, because you can OCD just about anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rode again yesterday. These are snow rides right now, and this ride has a ton of pedaling anyway, and the Helix is perfect. I’m not spending time in the big gears, though, because you mostly can’t in the snow.

Shifting under power is really good and there’s a long super chunky mildly uphill traverse on this ride that is a good just-keep-pedaling test and the snow in some cases makes it easier (filling in chunk) in some obviously not. I’ll report back once I have a chance to do a more normal ride - we should get some good melting out in this coming week.

Here’s GX vs Helix R 12 weight.

And stuff that doesn’t require a cassette at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What's the install/removal like?
Removal was just standard chain whip/cassette tool. I didn’t need the provided spacer or shims (standard XD driver), so it’s just big ring, torque retaining collar to 3 n/m, smaller ring and lock in place with chain whip and tighten retaining nut.

I spent a bunch of time because the smaller cassette wouldn’t lock in place to the larger. The instructions showed greasing it, but the illustration didn’t match the Helix so I assumed I didn’t need to do anything. Google only found TRS cassette install video, but that was enough to realize I needed to grease the contact points between the two cassette pieces. Once I did that it could rotate to lock. Having done it once, that’s a 10 min job to remove and install.

It required a full ground up derailleur setup from slack cable, and I used the SRAM b-gap tool for that setting and it’s set up perfect. Probably spent 30 mins on that stuff because I don’t do it very often.

Removal tools in the first pic, the unlock to lock position with little black hex screw to keep it locked in the second. The smaller cassette slides over clocked in the unlocked position and then you use the chain whip to rotate to locked and tighten down the screw once it’s aligned.

·
MCMXCV
1,308 Posts
Removal was just standard chain whip/cassette tool. I didn’t need the provided spacer or shims (standard XD driver), so it’s just big ring, torque retaining collar to 3 n/m, smaller ring and lock in place with chain whip and tighten retaining nut.

I spent a bunch of time because the smaller cassette wouldn’t lock in place to the larger. The instructions showed greasing it, but the illustration didn’t match the Helix so I assumed I didn’t need to do anything. Google only found TRS cassette install video, but that was enough to realize I needed to grease the contact points between the two cassette pieces. Once I did that it could rotate to lock. Having done it once, that’s a 10 min job to remove and install.

It required a full ground up derailleur setup from slack cable, and I used the SRAM b-gap tool for that setting and it’s set up perfect. Probably spent 30 mins on that stuff because I don’t do it very often.

Removal tools in the first pic, the unlock to lock position with little black hex screw to keep it locked in the second. The smaller cassette slides over clocked in the unlocked position and then you use the chain whip to rotate to locked and tighten down the screw once it’s aligned.
Great stuff, thanks! Looking forward to your long term updates as I will be in the market to replace my GX sometime in summer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the cassette when it was on 20 percent, I got the intergalactic and I was disappointed when it came in as purple and seeing that other people got the cassette in pure blue makes me pretty upset. I did contact support and said the purple is normal which now I see is bs as there is pictures here showing it in blue not purple.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought the cassette when it was on 20 percent, I got the intergalactic and I was disappointed when it came in as purple and seeing that other people got the cassette in pure blue makes me pretty upset. I did contact support and said the purple is normal which now I see is bs as there is pictures here showing it in blue not purple.
"Eggplant" is the purple color, not Intergalactic. If yours is purple, you got the wrong cassette without the high-wear coating, so I'd raise a stink.

I just received a gray 9-50T version that I hope to install next week, just waiting on Light Bicycle wheels to arrive. I'll be using it on an otherwise full Shimano drivetrain with XT Shifter, XT Derailleur, SLX Crank, and XTR Chain. The cassette is beautiful and definitely light. I had my spare SLX M7100 10-51T laying around and it's a night and day weight different.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts