Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I saw listed a 800.00 bike for sale going cheap for 250.00 on craigslist. Practically brand new condition. If it clears the stolen bike registry, what is the next move if the gut feeling is that it is still hot?

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Stolen bike registry does not link with actual law enforcement databases. I would check with your local cop shop and have them run the serial number. If it doesn't show up it doesn't prove it was not stolen but shows a high probability the bike was never reported stolen. Since most insurance companies require a police report before they will issue on a claim, most people with high dollar bikes that are stolen will end up making reports. If everything shows clear, you will probably be in a better ethical position, if that is your worry.

There are circumstances where you will see legit deals with high dollar bikes going for low prices. Divorce sales, rental management selling left behind property when tenants move out, military moves with limited time to sell, someone who just does not know what they are selling, etc.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
If your gut is queasy, just let it go man. Riding a bike that makes you uncomfortable, even if only mental, is not a good thing. Check it out, if the guy gives off a weird vibe say thanks and walk away.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The seller probably just want to sell it quick. That's nothing compared to when I sold my RC stuffs worth $3000 for just $500.

·
I didn't do it
9,465 Posts
The other day I saw listed a 800.00 bike for sale going cheap for 250.00 on craigslist. Practically brand new condition. If it clears the stolen bike registry, what is the next move if the gut feeling is that it is still hot?
This doesn't really strike me as suspicious. I say buy it and ride it like you stole it.

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
Contact the seller, ask if they have the original sales receipt. If they do, it's on.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
When my dad passed away a few months ago, a gave away most of his stuff, for free. I just didn't want to deal with selling it and didn't want to keep it. I also felt good about helping out a few people who needed furniture and stuff.

There are lots of reasons people sell stuff for cheap.

Some people are giving away 26er mountain bikes because they read that they're no good any more! Lots of deals to be found!

·
Registered
989 Posts
If you've got qualms, then its simple, don't do it. Go with your gut.
Contact the seller and talk more in person to get a better feel. If it still doesn't feel right, let it go.

·
I like pie.
585 Posts
Some people are giving away 26er mountain bikes because they read that they're no good any more! Lots of deals to be found!
Now that you mention it, my 26 inch bikes started riding poorly when the 29er craze began and now that 27.5 is the big thing they have gotten worse. :skep: ;)

If the bike is three years old, it might just be worth $250.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts