Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is this bike at my local mall that has been there for a while and I am
starting to feel sad for it..... I want to rescue it and take it home. And besides it is a sweet old haro impulse with a xt/lx drivetrain the ride has two flats and the chain is totally orange it's locked to a bike rack but only wrapped around the seat post and I'm suprised it wasent "liberated" already! What's the ethical thing to do?

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
Make a poster, laminate it and put it up near where you pillaged said bike. On the poster, put a small description of the bike (maybe a pic, but make it grainy) and an e-mail address where they can get a hold of you if they want their bike back.

If you print that with a laser printer, it'll be legible for quite a long time even in direct sun. If it's in shade, it will be there for years.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I know someone who did that at a college. The bike was chained up for over a YEAR, so when the owner didn't take it back when fall quarter started back up, my friend took it home. it was just a wal mart cheapie, but oh well.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well on that note there is a bike at the local university that I attended more than 10 years ago and there is a bikerack there that is in a well protected area ;there is a bike there that has been locked up for at least 15 years!!!

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
I had this bike parked at my apartment. I spotted it in March when I moved there. A nice Peugot frame and fork with very usable components. A perfect and right size commute. The bike wasn't locked and was parked there several months, never being used. I was about to go through all the neighbors who had business leaving their bike there and if it belonged to nobody I would take it back home, repair it, swap some parts and say goodbye to my old commuter. Somebody beat me to it, by a couple of days. Now it's gone and since it was parked just under my bedroom's window I think of it every morning when I open the blinds. Damn being too honest sucks!

·
Registered
802 Posts
FloridaFish said:
Don't be such a tool.

It frightens me to think that there are so many people who see the world in black and white.
Still stealing.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
I "recycled" a bike once. I would have felt worse had I left it in the woods, in mud, in the middle of nowhere, to rust and rot away.

Stealing is stealing. But once something has been abandoned, it's fair game.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The fact of the matter is if I don't do it I know someone else will and or the
mall security will cut the lock and it goes in the dumpster. Besides with our rainfall there will nothing left of it in a couple of months lol!

·
Live 2 Ride
6,184 Posts
It frightens me that there are not more people out there that do not think in black and white. There is a right way and a wrong way. No grey area.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.