Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so here is the thing. I'm signed up to do an 8-hour solo in May. I plan on taking my old singlespeed, which I use as a winter bike, as a back-up bike in case I have a mechanical. Both bikes are Misfit Dissent 29'ers.

My regular singlespeed has a 34-18 gearing. My back-up bike has a 32-18 gearing. The question is whether, if I have to use the back up bike, that would be considered cheating because it has a slightly easier gear ratio.

Discuss...

·
Registered
528 Posts
ok, so here is the thing. I'm signed up to do an 8-hour solo in may. I plan on taking my old singlespeed, which i use as a winter bike, as a back-up bike in case i have a mechanical. Both bikes are misfit dissent 29'ers.

My regular singlespeed has a 34-18 gearing. My back-up bike has a 32-18 gearing. The question is whether, if i have to use the back up bike, that would be considered cheating because it has a slightly easier gear ratio.

Discuss...
cheater!

·
Registered
142 Posts
you are not cheating, all the other people racing using gears are the cheaters ;). If you feel conflicted you can always put a 34 up front on the other DiSSent.

Kick ass bikes by the way. I just built one up for my son.

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm...a buddy of mine told me that a couple of years back on the Breck Epic, some riders were changing their gear ratio from day to day, depending on the terrain and conditions. That seems more problematic to me than having an emergency backup bike with a different gearing...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hmmm...a buddy of mine told me that a couple of years back on the Breck Epic, some riders were changing their gear ratio from day to day, depending on the terrain and conditions. That seems more problematic to me than having an emergency backup bike with a different gearing...[/QUOT

I was just messin with you :) I rode a two man team SS 24 hour race last year and used 2 bikes with different gear ratios.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I don't see this as an ethical problem in the least. Well, I should say as long as the race promoter doesn't stipulate otherwise, it isn't a problem.

It's a multi lap solo race, with a pit, correct? People come in to change tires, brake pads, all sorts of stuff. You're still on one gear.

I certainly don't see any issues changing your gear from day to day at a stage race. That's just being smart. Again, you're still on only one gear for the stage.

Just ride and have fun :) You're over thinking it.

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't see this as an ethical problem in the least. Well, I should say as long as the race promoter doesn't stipulate otherwise, it isn't a problem.

It's a multi lap solo race, with a pit, correct? People come in to change tires, brake pads, all sorts of stuff. You're still on one gear.

I certainly don't see any issues changing your gear from day to day at a stage race. That's just being smart. Again, you're still on only one gear for the stage.

Just ride and have fun :) You're over thinking it.
Fair enough...I just want to be fair to the other riders in my solo singlespeed category and don't see myself changing bikes unless the #1 bike fails in some way

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I don't see how it would be cheating. I don't see how it would be cheating if you did change gearing mid race because you were tired and needed an easier gear. It's still SS.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
In races, such as the Furnace Creek 508 (road race), you must declare your gearing at the start and cannot deviate from that. Even with a wheel change, you must keep the same gearing. So probably depends on the rules of the race, so I would check with the race director on the SS rules.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
My first an only race I've ever done was on a SS...I got 200 yards into a 7 mile lap and my bike took a dump on me. Tried to fix best I could...rest of the race was miserable.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I ride a singlespeed 34/19 but use a spare 36 as a spacer/bash (really I am just too lazy to get shorter bolts). Every now and then the chain jumps up to the 36. I always feel a little sneeky when my speed jumps 5%

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Just bring spare wheels. A wheel/hub failure is probably the most likely problem of significance you will encounter. If both wheels have 18T cogs, then you can also swap wheels if conditions change that warrent a tire change, you can swap them out.

The only other potential failure is a saddle rail break, and i would have an identical saddle in your pit.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I guess I don't get it. I've ridden in 24 hour races as part of a team and I don't think it would be cheating if you swapped bikes every lap. Unless the rules say you have to use the same bike or the same gearing, who cares? Especially in this case since an easier gear ratio will slow you down on the flat sections so it won't make you any faster anyway.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.