Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
AOK mentioned that he flipped the caliper mount around and it positioned the caliper properly for a 160. I didn't know that was a thing you could do :)
I didn’t know it was a thing either. It just looked like it would fit correctly if I swapped the mount around so I tried it.

Having a 180-specific rear mount seems like an odd choice for this frame. Heck my Ripmo doesn’t have a 180-specific mount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn’t know it was a thing either. It just looked like it would fit correctly if I swapped the mount around so I tried it.

Having a 180-specific rear mount seems like an odd choice for this frame. Heck my Ripmo doesn’t have a 180-specific mount.
Hey AOK- Did you have any issue with the disc tab on the dropout hitting the chainstay when the dropout was all the way back? Mine does.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hey AOK- Did you have any issue with the disc tab on the dropout hitting the chainstay when the dropout was all the way back? Mine does.
I noticed the same thing and spent time carefully grinding down the button head of a regular caliper mounting bolt, only to then open the little bag of cable routing clips and see the sweet, flush mount, 4mm mounting bolts provided...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed the same thing and spent time carefully grinding down the button head of a regular caliper mounting bolt, only to then open the little bag of cable routing clips and see the sweet, flush mount, 4mm mounting bolts provided...

Nice, I hadnt noticed those screws either. The dropout itself is hits the frame on mine though. Does your dropout hit the chainstay?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Nice, I hadnt noticed those screws either. The dropout itself is hits the frame on mine though. Does your dropout hit the chainstay?
Pretty sure it did, but that would be totally slammed and you’d need to be running a 2.0 to do that ;).

Here’s mine mostly slammed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pretty sure it did, but that would be totally slammed and you’d need to be running a 2.0 to do that ;).

Here’s mine mostly slammed.

For me, the disc tab portion of the dropout hits the frame when the rockers are all the way out (lengthened). They are fine when it's slammed forward (shortened). I only lose the last couple millimeters of adjustment and i could probably file down the dropout a little but I'm just worried the frame is out of alignment or something. Unless they're all this way.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
I just checked with the drops all the way back (longest) and I see the same thing. The dropout barely touches the chain stay just like in your photo. I think just shaving a bit off of the dropout would prevent them from touching, but the part of the dropout that touches is probably the spot with the least amount of aluminum around the bolt hole.

This sort of stuff is why I usually refrain from buying version 1.0 of anything. :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Does anyone have a Japhy in the "Dawn" color on the way? Would like to see some real-world pictures of my 2nd choice color.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Xmas developments. Used a 140mm rotor adapter, and got my 160 rear rotor to fit. #progress. Also swapped the front tire from a Chronicle 3.0 to a Rekon 2.8. Feels a bit less floppy.

Next will be swapping the round 30t ring for a 32t AB oval. Having fun so far.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I hope everyone had a great Christmas weekend!
Any more ride reports over the last 3 days? It looks like the ranks fell silent! :)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Installed 12-speed drivetrain on mine yesterday and got in another ride today. Still loving it.

·
old and slow
403 Posts
I'll be building up my Large Desolation Japhy frame as soon as some ordered parts arrive. I'm a bit confused by some of the earlier discussion here about rear disc size. It looks like standard IS mount to me. I've never even heard of a size specific IS mount. Just adapters.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'll be building up my Large Desolation Japhy frame as soon as some ordered parts arrive. I'm a bit confused by some of the earlier discussion here about rear disc size. It looks like standard IS mount to me. I've never even heard of a size specific IS mount. Just adapters.
Ditto. But the 160 mount that worked great on my last frame (with the caliper mounted in the same direction) positioned the caliper for a 180mm rotor. With the mount flipped around in the opposite direction the caliper was properly positioned for a 160, but wasn’t centered properly.

When I ordered a 140 adapter it all fit...

·
old and slow
403 Posts
Ditto. But the 160 mount that worked great on my last frame (with the caliper mounted in the same direction) positioned the caliper for a 180mm rotor. With the mount flipped around in the opposite direction the caliper was properly positioned for a 160, but wasn’t centered properly.

When I ordered a 140 adapter it all fit...

:unsure:😵🥴

·
Registered
685 Posts
Latest...

1) Tandell boost carbon fork installed, complete with the 29x3.25 Crux that was already on the wheel.

2) Gearing adjusted to 32x20 (w/ AB oval). Note that a Rekon 2.6 on an i40 works with this gearing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I have a medium in dharma (red) I took out of box but haven’t built up due to parts shortages. I think I’m going a different direction because all the parts I want will take several months, so if anyone wants a brand new, medium Japhy hit me up. We can coordinate as I’ll send photos, etc

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting in on the next round of Japhys but can't decide on a color. I'm torn between dawn, ryder, and desolation. Would love to see some more build photos especially out in the sunlight to help me decide if anybody has some to share. Any color, but ryder in particular; I haven't seen any ryder builds yet.

·
old and slow
403 Posts
I finally got all my parts together and finished building up my bike. It was a rainy day, so I didn't get to ride it yet, but hopefully tomorrow. I shot a few pictures. The lighting was not great, but you can get an idea how it turned out. The Desolation color was not one of my first 3 preferences, but I'm coming around to really liking it.

Large Esker Japhe frame
Marzocchi Bomber Z2 120mm fork
Magura MT Trail Sport brakes
Microshift Advent X RD, 11-48 cassette, shifter - 1x10
RaceFace Ride crank
RaceFace 30T chainring
Roval Traverse Carbon 29 wheels
Teravail Ehline 2.5 rear tire
Teravail Honcho 2.6 front tire
Fox Transfer 125mm dropper post

frntqtrNDS by Benny Watson, on Flickr
front by Benny Watson, on Flickr
frtwhNDS by Benny Watson, on Flickr
profileDS by Benny Watson, on Flickr
rearqtrDS by Benny Watson, on Flickr
rearqtrNDS by Benny Watson, on Flickr
rearwheelDS by Benny Watson, on Flickr
rearwhNDS by Benny Watson, on Flickr

Reactions: dlxah

·
old and slow
403 Posts
I finally figured out that this thread had been moved to the Plus Bikes forum. I'm just running 2.5 and 2.6 tires in mine, but whatever...

I took the Japhy to the local trail today for a gentle test ride on some easy trails. The bike fits me well, but it could stand a shorter stem than the 90 I had on hand. I think a 50 would work. The bike took the twisty turns stably with no hesitation to lean but stayed where I put it, not fighting to fall in or stand up. A shorter stem should make it just a bit quicker to turn which would be OK. No sign of any wobble from frame flex and no loss of traction, so I will be confident to throw it into the turns harder next time.

At the top of the first long, gentle climb, I stopped for a photo break and noticed a wretched odor. Seems I had run over some sort of wildlife excrement, so the nice, white frame got a good smearing on the seat tube at the chainstays and the seatstays. Gave it a good hosing and scrub with a rag when I got home.

This was my first time riding a MTB with a steepish seat tube angle and it did seem to be easier to spin while climbing and had good traction. It was a first ride and I took it easy, plus I'm pretty out of shape at moment, so I couldn't really have pushed the bike hard if I had wanted to, but my overall feelings about the bike so far are good. The personality is straight down the middle - not too aggressive, not too laid back. Just right.

112cockpit by Benny Watson, on Flickr
112front by Benny Watson, on Flickr
112poo by Benny Watson, on Flickr
112twistystart by Benny Watson, on Flickr
112woodsy by Benny Watson, on Flickr

Reactions: CCSS

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Bike looks great BluesDawg! Your description of the Japhy riding “just right” is exactly how I feel about mine.

I asked the mods to move this thread to the plus forum. Since they decided to kill the 29er forum (still grumpy about that) they had moved this thread to “other manufacturers”. I figured it would get lost there and have more traffic / interest in the plus bikes area even if not everyone runs the Japhy as a plus bike.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts