Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Sweet! Out of curiosity, what length stem did you land on? It's one piece that I still need to grab for my size L. I know there are a million variables between riders and their respective setups, but just curious if you had any surprises -- i.e. had to go longer or shorter than anticipated.

Also great news on the back tire. I have have a Rekon 2.8 on order...
I have a 50mm stem.

On paper I thought I would end up at 60mm and even bought a cheap 60mm stem to use, but when I actually had everything built up the 50mm was the best fit. Only 2 rides so far but I think I got it right.

I hope your parts get in soon. Can’t wait to see some other builds posted.

·
WNC Native
3,885 Posts
CCSS- what gear ratio are you thinking of running with your Rekon 2.8?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Got my size medium Desolation built up this afternoon. A couple notes from other discussions in this thread...
  • 32t oval has plenty of clearance. 34t would be close for sure.
  • 170mm dropper fit perfect
  • I'm running pretty beefy 29x2.6 and I've got the dropouts a little past mid way. Not sure how that would translate to a 3" tire. I think that would be tight also unless you are running something like a Chronicle.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Got my size medium Desolation built up this afternoon. A couple notes from other discussions in this thread...
  • I'm running pretty beefy 29x2.6 and I've got the dropouts a little past mid way. Not sure how that would translate to a 3" tire. I think that would be tight also unless you are running something like a Chronicle.

View attachment 1906919
View attachment 1906920
View attachment 1906921
View attachment 1906922
Damn, looks awesome! You’ve got that wheel pretty close to slammed with the 2.6. What ratio are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
685 Posts
CCSS- what gear ratio are you thinking of running with your Rekon 2.8?
Probably going to start with 32x20. Seems like that should land me close to the middle of the adjustment range. And that’s a solid ratio for our techy/climby trails.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Damn, looks awesome! You’ve got that wheel pretty close to slammed with the 2.6. What ratio are you running?

I'm running 32x19. The wheel could be a little farther in if someone were running gears. I adjusted it until the tire wasn't rubbing, then tightened my chain from there.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
A few more pics of mine. I posted these the other day but it looks like they disappeared during the forum migration.

·
WNC Native
3,885 Posts
Really like that color!! When you get a chance, can you snap a pic of tire clearance in the current setup/dropout position?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Really like that color!! When you get a chance, can you snap a pic of tire clearance in the current setup/dropout position?
Here it is. When I had the wheel out to take the dropout picture I noticed a tiny spot where it was rubbing. So I will probably put the drops back a little further still when I install the new drivetrain and have a longer chain.

·
WNC Native
3,885 Posts
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts

View attachment 1906919
View attachment 1906920
View attachment 1906921
View attachment 1906922
Beautiful!

·
Registered
685 Posts
So finally had a chance to get my large Desolation built (well mostly built).

The components are 100% take off from previous bikes (and/or borrowed), with the exception of the 60mm Funn stem (it was cheap and orange).

I did buy a new Rekon 2.8 for the rear, but there’s no way it’ll fit anywhere except the back of the dropouts - at least with i40 rims. It’s got an old Minion 2.5 on there now, and it’s tight with the drops close to slammed.

I’ve only ridden it in the street at this point because I didn’t realize the smallest rotor you can run is 180mm. Silly me for buying (and installing) two new 160s. So no rotor out back at this point.

Here are my initial observations...

1) I’m bummed about the lack of tire clearance. I was told I could run 2.8 slammed.

2) Reach is about 15mm shorter than I expected with a 60mm stem. Maybe a factor of a steeper ST and slacker HT than I’ve run previously. My last stock frame was a 1st gen Krampus, and the reach was longer with a 60mm stem. Feels good riding, though, so I’ll see how that goes.

3) The front end feels like it wants to fall into turns. I.e. less stable and more “floppy” than I’m used to. I’m running a 490 A:C fork and a 3.0 front tire. Seems like that should be in the sweet spot, so wondering if this is a common characteristic of slacker HT bikes? I hope it feels more stable on the trail.

4) As built it weighs 23.74 w/out a rear rotor.

5) Realized that the MRP fork I borrowed isn’t boost, so running two different wheel/hub combos. I29 with a chronicle up front.

I’m waiting on an oval chainring, and I just ordered a Tandell 29+ fork, so those will be added as they arrive. Heading out now to borrow a 180 rotor from a buddy.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Looks good!

I am running a 160mm rotor, although I had to turn the adapter mount around backwards from how I would normally run it to make it work. Also out of two adapters, one worked and one was a hair too short causing the rotor to hit the top of the caliper slot. So your mileage may vary in making a 160 rotor work.

Running the drops back far enough to fit a 2.8 tire isn't that big of a deal for me, but I do agree that I am surprised at how little clearance there is when the drops are slammed forward. Esker must measure tires differently from everyone else if they think a 2.8" fits with the drops in the shortest position. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
WNC Native
3,885 Posts
I did buy a new Rekon 2.8 for the rear, but there’s no way it’ll fit anywhere except the back of the dropouts - at least with i40 rims. It’s got an old Minion 2.5 on there now, and it’s tight with the drops close to slammed.

Here are my initial observations...

1) I’m bummed about the lack of tire clearance. I was told I could run 2.8 slammed.

2) Reach is about 15mm shorter than I expected with a 60mm stem. Maybe a factor of a steeper ST and slacker HT than I’ve run previously. My last stock frame was a 1st gen Krampus, and the reach was longer with a 60mm stem. Feels good riding, though, so I’ll see how that goes.

Yeah this is definitely disappointing on the tire clearance. I was told the exact same thing by Esker. If I were to get one, I'd be running 32x22 SS gearing which should put the dropouts right at max length.....so in theory I'd be in the best tire clearance spot but it's still a bit discouraging. My whole idea behind getting one was to be able to run 2.8 Rekon on i35-i40 out back. Which sounds like it would eliminate any option of ever running 32x21 at a shorter length. This may remove the Japhy from my short list after all.

On the reach, if seated is when it feels short....then it is the effect of the steeper STA. Standing it should feel similar to what you were expecting with those numbers.

Reactions: CCSS

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Was there something noted on the website that I missed about the rear only taking 180mm rotor? I always run a 160mm rear, and had zero issues when I built mine up. I am also running XTs.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Was there something noted on the website that I missed about the rear only taking 180mm rotor? I always run a 160mm rear, and had zero issues when I built mine up. I am also running XTs.
No, but I installed the rear caliper and adapter exactly as they'd been installed on my last bike (running 160), and the caliper was way too far out for a 160. AOK mentioned that he flipped the caliper mount around and it positioned the caliper properly for a 160. I didn't know that was a thing you could do :) For the record, I borrowed a 180 rotor from a friend last night and it works perfectly.

The website does say that it ships complete bikes w/ 180s, so I figured they'd built the frame 180-specific.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts