Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
pretty much the same here - esi grips are the best around in my books (ergon would be but too heavy). light, no slip, comfortable, can be used without gloves comfortably and safely.

lockon grips are just too hard due to the plastic core that is needed for them to work - that and as stated they're way to heavy.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I went from ODI Ruffians to ESI Chunkys. The grip diameter is very similar and the ESI is way way more comfortable. The only real benefit I found for lock ons is if you change your controls around a lot. Otherwise the ESI's don't slip, absorb pressure and are lighter.

·
Slow Goat....
283 Posts
Anyone know what the weight is for the ODI lock ons?

I want to go to the foam grips, but only if there is some weight savings.

·
Registered
970 Posts
check weightweenies to confirm but of the top of my head ruffian's with lockjaws are 103 grams.

ritchey wcs are 45 grams, there are lighter (down to about 20 grams) but i found the wcs foamies to be the most comfortable, any lighter and they start feeling like sandpaper.

i used them with gripshift and there were no issues, they wore out and i thought i'd try the esi grips, they're better - i got the chunky model and they came in at 58 grams the pair (claimed 75).

·
Registered
401 Posts
aussie_yeti said:
check weightweenies to confirm but of the top of my head ruffian's with lockjaws are 103 grams.

ritchey wcs are 45 grams, there are lighter (down to about 20 grams) but i found the wcs foamies to be the most comfortable, any lighter and they start feeling like sandpaper.

i used them with gripshift and there were no issues, they wore out and i thought i'd try the esi grips, they're better - i got the chunky model and they came in at 58 grams the pair (claimed 75).
why do you say the esi grips "better"?

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yah, I won some pork rinds at a race last summer, but I haven't used them because they look like they'll spin like pinwheels on the bars, which is why I switched to lock-ons in the first place. But the ESI ones claim not to spin, and they're reasonably light, so that's why I inquired.

·
Registered
389 Posts
the esi's are great. i had several versions of the lock-ons before i tried the esi's. since i ride a rigid, my hands were taking a beating with the lock-ons. i tried the esi's and i was sold on the first ride. i sold my two pair of lock-ons for 15 bucks soon after. at this point, i will never use any other grips than esi's.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
ESIs grip so well, i had problems taking them off my bar when i realized that i did not like them.

right now i've got some Specialized ergo foam grips that came off a Crossroads at the shop. unfortunately, they aren't sitting well, and spin like crazy. might glue them, i don't know.

back to the topic at hand....the ESI left my hands feeling rather tired after 1 - 1.5hr rides. no thanks. had black Chunkies.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Since the ESIs are so grippy, is that a problem with grip shifters? I have X0 grip shifters, but wanted to make sure the ESIs don't grab my palm when I'm trying to shift. Is this even an issue? I have Oury Lockons, and love the feel. I do ride with full finger gloves year round.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.