Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Oury Lockons. Love the feel, and nice match with the X0 grips. I want to save some weight and change over to ESI grips. I can't decide if I should go with racers edge or chunky. Which will match my Ourys? Which will be better with the X0 grips? Can I take a razor blade and cut down the grips to be "grip shift" length? Anyone have pics of this? Thanks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
notenoughtime said:
I currently have Oury Lockons. Love the feel, and nice match with the X0 grips. I want to save some weight and change over to ESI grips. I can't decide if I should go with racers edge or chunky. Which will match my Ourys? Which will be better with the X0 grips? Can I take a razor blade and cut down the grips to be "grip shift" length? Anyone have pics of this? Thanks.
I cut mine down maybe a half inch at most and used a razor blade. It cut very nicely. They went on super hard. I used some rubbing alcohol and twisted them on really fast - they set rock solid in about 5-7 seconds. I'm sure they could be cut down to grip shift length without any issues.

I had a pair of ruffian grips before these and the esi's are way more comfortable (and lighter). With 1/2 inch cut on each and plugs included my esi edges were 39g. I have pork rinds on my geared bike and will be switching to esi soon. A little off topic: The only issue I have with the pork rinds is how deathly slippery they are when wet!! Other than that they are great.

The esi grips may actually have the opposite problem compared the pork rinds - they almost feel like they are too grippy - I'll need more time on them to decide if that is actually a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yeah, they are the racer's edge. Their claimed weights all seem to be high; which is a nice change compared to others. I don't find them especially nice looking grips, but who cares. When I order another pair I may try the chunkier ones, as they seem to be pretty light too - just for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I prefer a small grip and went with the Chunky anyway. The Grip compresses which makes them super comfortable but means the racers edge feels too small once compressed.

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
Overkill said:
Their claimed weights all seem to be high; which is a nice change compared to others. I don't find them especially nice looking grips, but who cares. When I order another pair I may try the chunkier ones, as they seem to be pretty light too - just for comparison purposes.
Spot-on!

Says on their website: 51grams for Racer's edge. But props to you for posting that one which clearly says there's a big allowance (12grams weight savings, incl. end caps) from their claimed weight. Might as well go for a Chunky. :thumbsup: Hopefully, it would be over rated in terms of its weight like its weight weenie counterpart... :D Any kind soul out there who could put up some photos for the Chunky on a weighing scale.

TIA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.