Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new pair of grips. I stumbled across ESI silicon grips. I've got medium sized hands and like to were gloves. The ESI seam smaller in diameter but with still nice cushion for shock absorbtion

Has anyone tried them?

David

·
Registered
80 Posts
Two pair

Mojo Man said:
I'm in the market for a new pair of grips. I stumbled across ESI silicon grips. I've got medium sized hands and like to were gloves. The ESI seam smaller in diameter but with still nice cushion for shock absorbtion

Has anyone tried them?
I've got both sizes, the skinny and the one I think they call downhill. I use the downhill ones. (I ride a rigid XC bike)

Love them, no complaints. Cushy but not too soft. I was worried they would tear apart but they have held up well for me.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Remember, ESI comes in two sizes, Chunky and Race. I am not sure which ones you are looking at. For me, the race thickness was too thin. For me, I could never get comfortable with the chunky grips either. They feel really nice and cushy at first, but I think they are too soft. That is of course my opinion, so don't take just my word for it. I also think they wear out too quickly. The silicon compound is soft and tends to wear away in small bits pretty quickly. I think that is fine within their intended usage. My old boss when I worked at a shop talked to the inventor at Interbike a few years ago and he said he designed them to remain tacky even with wet hands. This was a common complaint from racers and dirty duathalon or triathalon riders who just finished with a swim an their hands would not grip rubber compound grips barehanded. Hopefully, you will get a few more responses that will help guide your decision.

The one great thing about grips is that they are relatively inexpensive (so long as you aren't talking about lock on grips, especially Ergons) so you can experiment. I happen to love Ergons, but that is a whole other topic so I won't derail this one anymore.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My current grip diameter is 30mm which feels good with my gloves. I'm not sure I would like some of the large diameter Oury's with the big patterns and heavy lockon's. I thought these would give quite abit because of their cushiness. Just a thoght in my anyalization process. I wa sconsidering the cubby 32mm diameter ones.

Also, do the colored ones clean up nice, or will they permenately show the black imprinting form wearing gloves?

David

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,397 Posts
I've been running ESI chunky grips for more than a year now. The oldest are "black" - which is actually charcoal gray. I just looked at them closely, and I see no discoloration or wear. I live in a hot/dry climate, and these are on my MtFixie - so I know that they have had exposure to sweat soaked gloves and much hand movement and death-gripping.

I have a second pair - in blue. They were put into use on a second MtFixie - evaluating a different frame - and only saw a few months of service so far. No discoloration or wear.

I have big hands - just ordered some gloves and had to get 2XL. Padded gloves and chunky grips works very well for me. The "cush" is firm, not mushy like gel. The "tacky" isn't sticky, but definitely nonslip. The grips adhere to the bar and don't slip, even while torquing a fixie up a techy slope. Highly recommended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.