Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know the race is in Delaware, but most of the MASS series racers seem to be from PA.

I've raced cross at Granogue, but never done the MASS race. What is the course like? Technical? Climbing? Rooty? Rocky?

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
161 Posts
vegancx said:
Yes, I know the race is in Delaware, but most of the MASS series racers seem to be from PA.

I've raced cross at Granogue, but never done the MASS race. What is the course like? Technical? Climbing? Rooty? Rocky?

Thanks in advance for any info.
I raced there 2 years ago. They have changed the course a little since then so this may not apply completely.

I remember the course being pretty non-technical. It was mostly rolling singletrack and long grassy climbs and decents. They say they added more singletrack though, so maybe some of the open very non-technical climbs will be replaced with something more interesting.

Mike

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
Last year...

I raced there last year. Now although it is not as technical as French Creek, I would have to say that the singletrack that they aparently added is a lot more technical then it used to be. The first singletrack section (last year mind you) would about forty times through a 100 sq. m. patch of dense woods, through trees, and over roots. Then there was a long grassy downhill, then more singletrack. All the singletrack was covered in roots, and a few rocks.

Oh, and BTW, all the singletrack was also wet.

Jake

·
Registered
161 Posts
PAmtbiker said:
I raced there last year. Now although it is not as technical as French Creek, I would have to say that the singletrack that they aparently added is a lot more technical then it used to be. The first singletrack section (last year mind you) would about forty times through a 100 sq. m. patch of dense woods, through trees, and over roots. Then there was a long grassy downhill, then more singletrack. All the singletrack was covered in roots, and a few rocks.

Oh, and BTW, all the singletrack was also wet.

Jake
I'll agree with you that if it is wet, it will probably be pretty technical because of the roots and grassy hills! And it most likely will be wet this year!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mvp119 said:
I'll agree with you that if it is wet, it will probably be pretty technical because of the roots and grassy hills! And it most likely will be wet this year!
All very helpful info. My teammates and I were looking at one of the course previews yesterday, and it looked very fast and non technical. I was thinking of racing my cross bike Sunday, but I think I ought to reconsider.

Sadly, I was sick for the one race of the season that I know would have been faster on a CX bike (Blue Marsh).

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't qualify Granogue as technical.

Then again, I'm used to DE mountains. There was one section that they had spotters advising you to be careful and mind the steep, short downhill. I just rode the brakes a bit and made it down no issue. You'll have your share of roots and rocks- what trail doesn't. I would rate the course HILLS more than technical. You start with a climb, then climb again, then go into the woods, then climb again. Then you WALK through a tunnel (unless you have super balance and bike handling skills- trust me- WALK.) Then, you climb some more and run down a hill, over a log bridge that tests the ramp up of your front fork, then along the river and back up some more climbs..(not necessarily in that order)...blah blah blah. It was damp last year. Remember it raining during the race a bit. This made some of the rooty sections tricky, but I never went down once. Some spots you may find you need to hoof it. Be ready to test your climbing power/ skills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.