Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Black and Sticky
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay the note at the top of the page said "start with your first post today" so here goes.

Went to Steamboat Springs last October and put a deposit down on a 96er made by Kent Eriksen. Met Kent, Katie, and the shop guys, all great folks. Kent is a very nice man who is an artist in Ti as applied to bicycles. Never thought I'd pay that much for a bike or wait that long. Bike is Ti with Maverick rear end and Maverick DUC fork. XTR all around except for XT brakes. Can't remember the name of wheels, but supposed to be Bontrager's newest 29er (front anyway) set up tubeless. Being a geezer (52 last December) I was looking for a bike that rolls easily, fairly light, and handles the rocky trails around Phoenix. T100 is my home trail.

I'll post photos when it finally arrives. Hope it was worth the wait.

Bob
PS-rode T100 yesterday with a friend from Colorado; it is beautiful from all the recent rains

·
Registered
156 Posts
let me know

howdy,
let me know when she get in and what you think about it. I have just started working with Kent on a 29er and he has been talking about 96 a lot which I hadn't considered....yet

·
Black and Sticky
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eriksen 96er

Actually Kent talked me into the 96er too. Like you I started out wanting the 29er. Kent and Katie are great folks and I think you will enjoy working with them. The one issue with the F/S 29er was that Kent's design caused a loss of the lowest gear; I guess it was the geometry of the situation. However, when I visited is shop I rode a 96er and it really was sweet. So I was conflicted from the start. So I guess I should say that I talked myself into a 96er rather than Kent. Good luck and I will try to post some photos when it finally does arrive.

Bob

·
Registered
156 Posts
Could you tell me what made it different? I am one of the few that ride a 29er around here (In the North East) so I have never even seen a 96'er. What size are you doing? Thanks!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Eriksen 29er

I just ordered my 29er frame this week from Kent and I can't wait to be riding it. I have plains to build it with a duc 32 fork, Chris king Green hubs, and headset. Along with some Xtr and Xo parts. I am very happy with the custmer service from the Eriksen Crew, They are very nice people who seem like they just wont to ride and help others get on the bike of their dreams.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are you getting the hardtail? I am working out a fs. How long do you think the wait will be? What did he do on a head tube angle? I am planning to use the DUC also, he has it a 70.9 hta.

·
Black and Sticky
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Truth, I don't know the size. But I have a schematic that I can e-mail to you tomorrow. Basically I showed up at his shop in Steamboat Springs and he let me try two or three bikes he had on hand and mine will be same as one of those. Turns out that Kent and I are same size and I think he just made my frame as if he were making it for himself. Kent really sold me on the idea of a 96er: lighter than 29er, advantages of big front wheel, short chainstay, etc. Actually, here in Phoenix the 29ers have really taken off so I will be a little different too.

Bob

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hearing the 96 is his favorite is making it a really hard decision, one that I wasn't planning on. I think I'm sticking with the 29er, since I am a bigger rider, pulse I JUST got my set of i9 wheels!

·
Registered
445 Posts
29 eriksen

I am getting a hard tail my self. The head tube angle will be 70.0 degrees. I am not sure how long the wait is I think 8 to 10 weeks. I also talked to they guys at Maverick this week they said they are out of the Duc 32 forks for the season they only make so many a year and wont be making any more so make sure you get the fork asap.
oh yeah I think I am getting TommyBoy on the top tube.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ouch! Thats a long time! Yeah already got the fork, are you getting his new 2" downtube? Should be sweet! Please post pics when yours comes in should be about two weeks befre mine.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Eriksen 29er

Not sure what Down tube I am getting buts its going to be big Cause I am a big Guy. I am 6'2" and 300 lbs and yes I do ride at least once a week weather its on the road or mtn bike. I will have my duc 32 this week it should sweet.

Truth what color I9 wheels did you get and what rims are you going to use.

·
Black and Sticky
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eriksen 96er

With respect to the waiting time I first ordered my frame in early October, so it has been 4 months. But as I mentioned above, part of the wait was me not being able to make up my mind between a 29er and 96er. That probably delayed me for a month. But Kent also had a problem with Maverick not making any of the rear ends and he had to wait for that. But now you have me worried re: the DUC fork. I like the DUC, but there are some other choices that I might be forced to go with. I get the idea that small frame companies like Eriksen can be badly affected by some of their vendors.

Bob

·
Registered
445 Posts
duc fork

I was told by the guys at maverick that you should be able to get the fork from an online dealer like wrench science and some of the other online dealers that deal Maverick. I was able to get my hads on one this past week. I am guessing that kent is building the hole bike for you I would have to imagine he has some thier or a way to get them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, he was REALLY pushing the Maverick stuff.... I thought it was odd also. A friend is giving me his Maverick, I have a Reba (which I think its pretty descent) I also have a brand new White Brothers magic 100 which I haven't even tried yet (I heard it was better than the fox f100x and I road that for three years- an three sets of seals) I'll might end up with a fox 29 and who knows whats down the road..... I HOPE to be ridding the investment happily for years, so instead of him designing the front end around 510 instead 520. The Maverick forks seem that they need a lot of attention, so if it starts to affect my ride time its off (I ride every day in the summer).

·
Black and Sticky
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just talked with Katie and they shipped the bike today. I got notification from UPS that it will arrive next Tuesday. They shipped the bike in a bike case. After I unpack it, I will ship the case back to Kent.

Bob

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ohhh on tuesday you must be fired up! PLEASE POST SOME PICS! Kent said that the rear-end was in stock and he was going to get going on it on tuesday. so I hope 2 or third week of March (I have third week off so I hope she makes it by then) I just ordered some Moots ti flat bars 8 deg sweep and getting all the other parts together. Question what color to do the decals? They have new Yellow and also Black. I also am getting Kents new 2" downtube. The best quote I got from Kent, is "lets build you a big boy bike, since your a big guy, instead of trying to fit to all those little kid bikes out there"
WORD!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Eriksen 29er

2" down tube!!! thats kick A$$ I hope to be getting the same Treatment with that as well being a big guy my self. I am like a Fat kid in a candy store wonting for my frame as I am sure you guys are too and have been waiting longer then me. It would be kick ass to do a brushed decal instead of the colors. I thinking of going with Green to go with my king stuff.

Tom from bike tek

·
Black and Sticky
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eriksen 96er

Hey Truth that's great you got the final design done. Sounds like you are getting all the parts together so you can get things put together fairly quick. 2" down tube is a nice design feature. I didn't get that, but I guess being a small guy (5-10, 160) I didn't need to so much. FYI, I went with black decals I think. It's been so long that I actually can't remember 100% for sure. Hopefully NJ you won't have to wait too long. I will post some pics as soon as I can. Unfortunately I will be out of town much of next week so the bike will be sitting until Thursday or so until I can mess with it.

The wait was getting a little critical for me. For those of us living in S. Arizona, this is prime time for riding, that is, before the oven gets cranked up. Tomorrow I have a 50 miler scheduled on the road bike, training for MS 150 in late March. So we get our miles in while we can.

Glad to find some others with Eriksen bikes...a small but very happy group!!!

Bob

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sooooo? Did you get it? What color decals? I am thinking orange (or yellow or black...) POST SOME eye candy!
I just got my Moots flat ti bar, and XTR parts in for mine (also having a Maverick fork tuned by s.ex) waiting....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts