Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a direct comparison between the Ergon GE1 and GS1? I almost wish there was a design in between the two. I've felt the GS1's but have been unable to find the GE1 grips in a shop to feel in person, so I'm hesitant to pick one or the other without being able to see both.

For what it's worth, I do occasionally embark on 30-40 mile rides, but the majority of my mountain biking is spent in the 10-15 mile range. This makes me feel like the larger GS1's are overkill.
My main reason for wanting a more comfortable grip is due to hand/wrist fatigue from my full time desk job.

GS1: ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS
GE1: ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Been using GS1's for years, just switched to GS2 this year and really like them.
Never have hand numbness :)

·
Ergon Bike
882 Posts
Seek out the 2014 GS1. If you suffer from wrist issue, no questions, reach for the GS1. The 2014 GS Series has a softer silicon rubber compound that is 100% German made. It is leaps and bounds better than the older rubber compound; softer, more durable, tacky, etc. We also use this rubber is all grip models for 2014.

GS1: xc, mtb, marathon, etc.
GE1: enduro, DH, freeride, all-mountain, super duper techy xc,

Jeff K
Ergon USA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seek out the 2014 GS1. If you suffer from wrist issue, no questions, reach for the GS1. The 2014 GS Series has a softer silicon rubber compound that is 100% German made. It is leaps and bounds better than the older rubber compound; softer, more durable, tacky, etc. We also use this rubber is all grip models for 2014.

GS1: xc, mtb, marathon, etc.
GE1: enduro, DH, freeride, all-mountain, super duper techy xc,

Jeff K
Ergon USA
Thanks for your reply! I had heard that the rubber was updated but I didn't know it was updated on all models, that is good to know.

I think I've decided to stick with the "Gravity" style. I tried out the GS1's and while they do have great support I would miss the flexibility of being able to put my grip/weight behind the bars on technical terrain. If I had two bikes I would love to have one of each styles of grips.

I will probably buy the GA1 - I'm assuming since the contour is a little more prominent than the GE1, that makes it more comfortable...? I'm a little confused on the slight differences between those two.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The 2014 GS Series has a softer silicon rubber compound that is 100% German made. It is leaps and bounds better than the older rubber compound; softer, more durable, tacky, etc.
Ahhh man! I had recently bought my GS2's just before back surgery to have my bike ready when i recovered. I love the pre-2014 GS's, but, would've waited had i known there was going to be a softer compound.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,051 Posts
How come there's not an Ergon board?

·
Ergon Bike
882 Posts
I will probably buy the GA1 - I'm assuming since the contour is a little more prominent than the GE1, that makes it more comfortable...? I'm a little confused on the slight differences between those two.
The GA1 is a tad thinner than the GE1. In the hand, the grips have the same fit and feel. The GA1, in my personal opinion, is a bit stiffer.

The GE1 has an inboard clamp so you can ride wide on the grip and bars. The rubber is also directionally laid for hand position and hand torque while riding.

The GA1 has an outboard clamp and subtle shaping.

Both the GE1 and GA1 are R and L specific....and top and bottom specific.

I have been on the GE1 since Interbike and LOVE it!

Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 6.47.51 AM.jpg

Jeff K
Ergon USA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts