Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed, as my ability to ride long distances and time improves, my hands start aching. Would the Ergon grips benefit me in this situation. Right now on my ML I have RF G&E grips and while they have done a good job grip-wise, they may be causing the aching and numbness that I feel after riding a while...Any Titus owners using them. They would be placed on an Answer Pro-taper carbon riser bar. This is the grip I am referring too

http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/grips/gx1.html

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
I think psychochris (chirochris) is the guy you want to talk to....or not :crazy:

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
If you read the reviews, they are nearly all good. Check almost any thread on comfortable grips. There is almost always a suggestion or testimonial for ergons. Search for threads on ergons. You will get a ton of positive responses, with only a few neutral or negative.

-Yer actin' like a NOOB eddie!

My Conclusion: Ergon + long rides = :)

Sincerely,

rkj__ - Ergon user.

No, i don't own a titus, but what ****** diff does it make?

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
EDDIE JONES said:
sorry, I have heard both good and bad...
Don't be sorry. You're allowed to ask questions. :p

I use the GP-1 grips, although heavier than the GX series, they are more curvaceous, and to me, a little more comfortable.

What i think makes ergon grips so comfortable, is the fact that they distribute the pressure over a larger area on your hand, and also more evenly. All of their grips do this effectively.

I actually purchased some of the GX-1 grips, as an irresistible deal came up. I sold them to my sister, as i did not really need them, since i already had my GP-1. She used to always complain of sore numb hands when riding, but she loves her new GX grips, and now does not complain anymore.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rkj__ said:
Don't be sorry. You're allowed to ask questions. :p

I use the GP-1 grips, although heavier than the GX series, they are more curvaceous, and to me, a little more comfortable.

What i think makes ergon grips so comfortable, is the fact that they distribute the pressure over a larger area on your hand, and also more evenly. All of their grips do this effectively.

I actually purchased some of the GX-1 grips, as an irresistible deal came up. I sold them to my sister, as i did not really need them, since i already had my GP-1. She used to always complain of sore numb hands when riding, but she loves her new GX grips, and now does not complain anymore.
Me thinks I'll get some.....That was what I was looking for:thumbsup:

·
Ergon Bike
883 Posts
RKJ is correct. The GX lineup of grips, which should hit USA soil in late Jan '08, is our race oriented minimalist grip. It is lighter than the GP1.....and just a tad firmer.

Another option that we will have available also in late Jan '08 is the GP1 Superlight. It has the same shape as the traditional GP1 but to save weight it uses a resin clamp and a gummier & softer rubber compound.

Jeff
Ergon USA

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ERGON said:
RKJ is correct. The GX lineup of grips, which should hit USA soil in late Jan '08, is our race oriented minimalist grip. It is lighter than the GP1.....and just a tad firmer.

Another option that we will have available also in late Jan '08 is the GP1 Superlight. It has the same shape as the traditional GP1 but to save weight it uses a resin clamp and a gummier & softer rubber compound.

Jeff
Ergon USA

I don't race but do tend to ride for a long time....Numbness and aching abound...Which would you suggest? By the way, thanks for taking the time to respond..It is always good to have the manufacturers people participating on these forums...I truly appreciate that:thumbsup:

·
Ergon Bike
883 Posts
EDDIE JONES said:
I don't race but do tend to ride for a long time....Numbness and aching abound...Which would you suggest?
Personally speaking, I would look at the GP1's. It's my grip of choice for solo 24 hour and 100 mile efforts. There is just enough "give" to help with fatigue. Plus, it's available now.

Also keep in mind, we offer our grips in small and large. This refers to the thickness of the grip. If you like meaty grips...such as Oury...go with the large. If you like thinner grips and really want a good hand wrap on the bar...go with the smalls.

I wear gloves sized Large and run the small Ergon GP1's and GR2's.

Jeff
Ergon USA

·
Registered
499 Posts
EDDIE JONES said:
I have noticed, as my ability to ride long distances and time improves, my hands start aching. Would the Ergon grips benefit me in this situation. Right now on my ML I have RF G&E grips and while they have done a good job grip-wise, they may be causing the aching and numbness that I feel after riding a while...Any Titus owners using them. They would be placed on an Answer Pro-taper carbon riser bar. This is the grip I am referring too

http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/grips/gx1.html
For non-technical stuff, I can't see any reason not to get them. However, for the more droppy/steep downhill stuff, I find that they get in the way a little when my hands are more behind the bars, rather than sitting more on top... Having said this, the grips I have (on my hardtail, that I use mainly for commuting) aren't that ergon brand, but are a very similar shape.

As for achy hands, have you tried consciously loosening your grip on the bars? How about adjusting your grip on the bars every few minutes or so? Also, maybe your bike setup is out a little, with too much weight on the bars. Maybe the bars are too far forward or too low. Next time you are riding, check how straight your arms are. No bend causes all kinds of trouble (hands, shoulder, neck), so this probably isn't your problem. Go the loosen grip route first...

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
ERGON said:
Personally speaking, I would look at the GP1's. It's my grip of choice for solo 24 hour and 100 mile efforts. There is just enough "give" to help with fatigue. Plus, it's available now.

Also keep in mind, we offer our grips in small and large. This refers to the thickness of the grip. If you like meaty grips...such as Oury...go with the large. If you like thinner grips and really want a good hand wrap on the bar...go with the smalls.

Jeff
Ergon USA
I have pretty averaged sized hands, and i find the large grips a lot to try and wrap my hands around. i prefer the smaller ones.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,277 Posts
ERGON said:

Jeff
Ergon USA
Ergon grips + Specialized BG gloves = no more numbness. I love them. They suck a bit on long downhills, but it's no big deal to me.

Jeff, when will the Hydrapacks be available? I've ordered from the LBS, and they're getting weird ETAs. So, what's the scoop?

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Personally I think it's one of the things that some will love and some will hate. I'm currently using Oury and love the things, but grips are like saddles, there isn't a definite best one.

The Ergons looks nice for XC and long distance rather than heavier use.

·
The Crow
946 Posts
I have been using the GP1 grips on ML and have only good things to say. Every now and then I ride on a buddy's bike and can definately feel the diffrence between normal grips and the Ergon's. Much better (for me), more comfortable and softer on the hands and wrists. Will never go back to "normal" grips.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Eddie, Eddie, Eddie, I think RKJ is right, can't believe you had to ask . For me I don't think I could do my endurance riding/racing without them, they are just so damn comfy and give so many positions. Personally I have HUGE hands and wear XL+ gloves and use the MAG R1 (I think that's it, anyway the biggest ones), which are the oes with small bar ends. I had no hand problems in either race I did this summer and both were over 9 hours - I'm slow and like oxygen and there wasn't much :)

·
Ergon Bike
883 Posts
zorg said:
Jeff, when will the Hydrapacks be available? I've ordered from the LBS, and they're getting weird ETAs. So, what's the scoop?
The latest ETA that I received about a week ago is that the packs are set to ship to distributors in the first week of Jan '08. They might even ship the last weekend of December. Keep in mind this is for the BD1 and BD2. Our new BC3 is set to to be released in April '08.

Speaking of the pack....there is a large thread HERE with some pretty cool in-the-element pictures.

Jeff
Ergon USA

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think they're great...

I've been using the size small of the grip with the built-in carbon bar end (can't seem to match it 100% with any of the models shown on their site). I've used them for 2 24 solos, Trans Rockies, and several 50+ mile TECHY courses (Michaux series).

They had an amazing affect. I used to have numbness in one of my hands (left, fortunately) for weeks after a 24. No longer with the Ergons. Also, I no longer get serious blisters on my hands, after even the longest efforts. Plus, the built in bar end gives another riding position that is nice to have during longer races. I like to use it to stretch out while hammering the road sections, or for extra leverage on the steep climbs.

Definitely get them. Every one of my friends who have tried mine went out and bought a pair.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts