Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a easton monkeylite XC handlebar (carbon)...

i want to run my ergon grips with integrated bar ends...

but easton says a lot of bar ends will NOT work on their carbon bars and they will be coming out with "easton approved bar ends" in 2009......

is this just a way for easton to make more $$ by selling their new bar ends?...

are guys out there having trouble running ergon grips with bar ends on their easton carbon bars?...

i've gotten both a verbal "yes" and a written "no" from jeff at ergon...

i have the grips and am ready to put them on my carbon bars...am i asking for trouble?...

does anyone have specific torque specs for their ergon grips and carbon bars?...if so, please let me know so i can apply the correct torque with my torque wrench (and not ruin my handlebar)...THANKS.

·
Ergon Bike
884 Posts
This is the official word via the new manual that will be inserted into the packaging for future grips hitting store shelves....

Achtung!
Ergon Bar Ends and Carbon Fiber Handlebar Compatibility.

We build Ergon products to very exacting standards. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers working with carbon fiber subscribe to these same levels of quality. Unless your carbon handlebar manufacturer lists specifically that their product will accept bar-ends, we do not recommend using Ergon bar ends on carbon handle bars.

Additionally, when installing our product on an acceptable quality carbon handlebar, we suggest that they be professionally installed using only the proper amount of torque. See our Owner's Manual.

And check handlebar manufacturer's Owner's Manual for their recommendations particularly if you are considering modifying their bar by shortening its length.

Ergon grips without bar ends will work with all standard handlebar materials.

It's a warning of sort...to cover our butts. Same reason bar manufacturers do the same thing. On a personal note, I have seen many folks, including myself, run Ergon barends on carbon bars. It a choice you have to make. We have given you a disclaimer and so has your bar manufacturer. It is ultimately your final choice.

Jeff
Ergon USA

·
Let's fly!
433 Posts
I've been running Ergons with bar ends on my Easton Monkeylite carbon bars for, I dunno, a couple years. My recollection is that, at the time, Easton said their bars were reinforced in the clamping area and at the ends so they were bar end compatible. They had 3 choices at the time -- xc racer, mx, and dh. I picked the middle weight mx version.

No problems at all.

My brother is a lawyer, so I must add that your experience may vary from mine and your bars are not mine and you don't ride like I do and on and on and on. It's your decision whether to run them or not. I have a friend who returned his because he was concerned about it. Bar failure is quite a big bummer.

I love my Ergon grips. Extremely comfortable, relieved hand numbness and wrist pain.

Up to you, though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have Ergons with Bar Ends on both of my mountain bikes... Both singlespeed 29ers one completely rigid and have had no problems with them since installing over a year ago and have ridden them in 13 hour events and more... The grips rock, and I'll never go back... Oh and yes, obviously easton carbon bars... No slippage whatsoever...

·
Registered
794 Posts
Crap!

I JUST received my GX2s in the post yesterday. I have Easton Monkeylite Carbon riser bars. What shall I do.

The connect rate of endurance type folks (a key market segment for Ergon) and carbon bars has to be pretty high. I humbly suggest the disclaimer needs to be more proactive, right up front on the summary product descriptions published for retailers to advertise the product, not buried in a manual, which I wouldn't read (maybe) until after purchasing the product.

this kinda blows. I was really looking forward to the GX2s to fix my hand problems, after a fair amount of research. Never dawned on me there may be compatability issues.

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i believe they will work...they legally have to say no, but it sounds like a lot of guys are running them together with success...i'd just say be careful with the torque...cross your fingers and give it a try.

·
Ergon Bike
884 Posts
chairthruster said:
I JUST received my GX2s in the post yesterday. I have Easton Monkeylite Carbon riser bars. What shall I do.

The connect rate of endurance type folks (a key market segment for Ergon) and carbon bars has to be pretty high. I humbly suggest the disclaimer needs to be more proactive, right up front on the summary product descriptions published for retailers to advertise the product, not buried in a manual, which I wouldn't read (maybe) until after purchasing the product.

this kinda blows. I was really looking forward to the GX2s to fix my hand problems, after a fair amount of research. Never dawned on me there may be compatability issues.
It is a legal thing. We have to say this so that the consumer doesn't blame us...if they crack their bar. Same goes for bar manufac. and their lightweight bars. Heed the warning. We are all adults...we can make an educated and smart decision. It is similar to weight limits on saddles and ti spindle pedals. It comes down to the legal aspect of our sport.

Note: most bar companies make alum insert plugs to allow barend usage. I see these on about 20% of the crabon bars I have installed ergon grips with barends.

Jeff
Ergon USA

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I'm running them on an FSA K-force flat bar. They would slip at recommended torque.
That "liquid torque" carbon joining compound that FSA sells did the trick however.

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's funny...i did the same thing twice...once easton told me it would work and the second time they said it would not work...i hate the fact that you can't talk to someone at easton...going thru a secretary after buying a $100+ bar is ridiculous...

does anyone have torque specs?...easton said 40 inch pounds should be about right (on the bar end clamp bolt.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
historeeteacher said:
that's funny...i did the same thing twice...once easton told me it would work and the second time they said it would not work...i hate the fact that you can't talk to someone at easton...going thru a secretary after buying a $100+ bar is ridiculous...

does anyone have torque specs?...easton said 40 inch pounds should be about right (on the bar end clamp bolt.
I've got a few sets, my latest set, the GX1s had 5 n.m, which through online converters, equated to 44 in.lbs. If you can get them to not slip at 40 in pounds, that'll work, but 44 is what I got for the conversion.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
historeeteacher said:

I've got a few sets, my latest set, the GX1s had 5 n.m, which through online converters, equated to 44 in.lbs. If you can get them to not slip at 40 in pounds, that'll work, but 44 is what I got for the conversion.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My Ergons have been fine on the Bontrager xXx carbon bars for 7 mo. w no issues, just don't over torque.

I totally love Ergons 90% of the time. The other 10% is when i cannot keep my gloves and or hands dry. Since on rough downhills with wet Ergons my hands seem to "try" and slide inward due to the shape. Slippery when wet. I might just be crazy though.

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
I use a 6nm torque key. It gets them tight enough to not move during normal use, but loose enough that if/when I hit a tree or other solid object, they'll rotate or pop off without damaging the bars (Easton Monkey Lite XC)

·
Ergon Bike
884 Posts
murtaghstyle said:
Anyone know the torque specs for the grip clamps? Ergon recommends 7mn (Roughly 62 in/lb). Is that too much for a carbon bar?
Ergon grips with (GX2) barends: 4 Nm
Ergon grips without (GX1) barends: 4 Nm

The torque spec of the bar(s) will vary from manufac. to manufac. Please inquire with the brand of your bar for their respective torque spec number.

FYI: Out grip manuals can be downloaded HERE at bottom of page. All torque specs are listed for each set of grips.

Jeff K
Ergon USA

·
Registered
280 Posts
ERGON said:
Ergon grips with (GX2) barends: 4 Nm
Ergon grips without (GX1) barends: 4 Nm

The torque spec of the bar(s) will vary from manufac. to manufac. Please inquire with the brand of your bar for their respective torque spec number.

FYI: Out grip manuals can be downloaded HERE at bottom of page. All torque specs are listed for each set of grips.

Jeff K
Ergon USA
Thanks Jeff - That's were I originally looked and the GX2 Manual on Step 5 says:

"Important:
Recommended torque: 7 Nm
The grips and bar ends should not turn on the bar! Recheck
the torque setting following the first ride / 50 km
of riding. Check periodically to ensure that the screws
are not loosening."

So is it 7 or 4 Nm?

·
Ergon Bike
884 Posts
murtaghstyle said:
Thanks Jeff - That's were I originally looked and the GX2 Manual on Step 5 says:

"Important:
Recommended torque: 7 Nm
The grips and bar ends should not turn on the bar! Recheck
the torque setting following the first ride / 50 km
of riding. Check periodically to ensure that the screws
are not loosening."

So is it 7 or 4 Nm?
Carbon barends and non-barend grips are 4 NM.

All other barends are 7 Nm.

Refer to each grip manual for that model's proper spec.

Remember, you must also stay within the torque spec guideline of your carbon bar.

Jeff K
Ergon USA

·
Registered
280 Posts
ERGON said:
Carbon barends and non-barend grips are 4 NM.

All other barends are 7 Nm.

Remember, you must also stay within the torque spec guideline of your carbon bar.

Jeff K
Ergon USA
Thanks for all your help Jeff! - I will check the easton monkelite xc manual to see if that's what it says on torque specs.

Right now it sounds like 4Nm (around 35 in/lb) for both grips and stem clamp.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.