Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried both and can comment on which they prefer? I have been riding the GR2 for the past two seasons and have worn them down to the plastic core. I do like the shape of the GR2, but have never tried the GX2 and am wondering if there is any marked difference in feel. Both come in a carbon version. The GX2 is slightly lighter. Any thoughts?

·
Ergon Bike
883 Posts
lytleric said:
Anyone tried both and can comment on which they prefer? I have been riding the GR2 for the past two seasons and have worn them down to the plastic core. I do like the shape of the GR2, but have never tried the GX2 and am wondering if there is any marked difference in feel. Both come in a carbon version. The GX2 is slightly lighter. Any thoughts?
The GX2 grip body will be stiffer than the GR2 grip body. There is not as much wing flex in the GX2. Also note that the GX2 only comes in one size....small. Where as the GR2 is available in large, small, and gripshift.

Personally, I am a fan of the GR2 Carbon in small for the endurance riding/racing. Although, we have many endurance folks racing the GX2. For example, Josh Tostado raced the GX2 carbon to victory at this years 24 Hours of Moab.

Pick your pleasure, everyone is different.

Jeff K
Ergon USA

·
Registered
243 Posts
I used the GX2 at the Ouachita 80 mile and Dakota 5-0 last year as well as numerous other rides. I am a fan of the stiffer body on the GX2 as I feel like it gives my hands better support. I have some of the GR2 on my pugsley for winter racing and have definitely noticed that regardless of the choice on grip the positioning is different. My GR2's have to be positioned more parallel to the ground.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, since both those opinions are on opposite ends... I just pulled the trigger on a new set of GX2 carbons. Maybe I'll run one GX2 and one GR2, haha.

Thanks both.

·
Registered
243 Posts
IMO, especially when it is in regards to something focused on ergonomics, it truly is whatever works best for you. Myself and two other guys at the shop swear by ergons... I have 3 pairs, but we have had customers that just didn't like the feel. To each their own... it is kinda like me telling you what the best saddle is, I have ones that work for me and that I really like but I can't guarantee which you would like best, if even at all. Good luck with them, they made a huge difference for me personally...and Jeff is really fast and rides them so... 2+2= grips make you fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts