Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up!
On Saturday August 28th, Santa Cruz County Horsemen's' Association (SCCHA) will be hosting an equestrian endurance race that will involve over one hundred horses on trails at Wilder and UC. The course starts at the Graham Hill Showgrounds, goes through Henry Cowell, across the river and up UConn trail to UC, then on Chinquapin fire road to Twin Gates. In Wilder they make several loops, hitting all major trails and singletrack before heading back to the Showgrounds. They are expected to be in Wilder from about 7am to about noon. UConn trail will be super busy from 7-9 and again from 10:30-2. Course maps can be found here: https://sccha.wildapricot.org/resources/Documents/50_wilder_2021%20(2).pdf
and https://sccha.wildapricot.org/resources/Documents/50_cowell_2021%20(2).pdf
There will be ribbons marking the course up UConn and through UC; please do not remove or change them, they will be picked up after the event. Likewise, there is a volunteer poop patrol scheduled to clean up on Sunday!
Please yield to the racers and cheer them on!

·
1,065 Posts
There will be ribbons marking the course up UConn and through UC; please do not remove or change them, they will be picked up after the event. Likewise, there is a volunteer poop patrol scheduled to clean up on Sunday!
Please yield to the racers and cheer them on!
Thanks for the notice, and EXTRA thanks for the poop patrol.
I think we are being asked to volunteer.

·
default title
538 Posts
Thanks Fluorine for starting the thread. This is the same endurance race route that the Horseman's Assoc does every year (except last year).

I'm a course marshal at the top of EMT / bottom of U-Conn and am planning on doing a poop patrol hike on U-Conn & Rincon Connector after I'm free to leave my post. The Sunday volunteer team will be grabbing ribbons as well as clearing trails in Wilder/etc.

The lead horses/racers are athletes and FAST. Riders will get off and jog/walk next to their horses to give them a break; it's an interesting niche sport.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think we are being asked to volunteer.
It was emphasized to indicate that they are cleaning up after themselves. They don't expect others to clean up after them.

As an aside, as part of their contract with the CA State Park, there will be extra rangers patrolling Wilder, Poginip, and Henry Cowell Saturday, as well.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Is this the horse version of enduro-bros? Do they where googles with half-shells?
Well, of course. And you cannot forget about their race-day outfit with bright colors!

I hear there will be hike-a-horse during this specific event. What is the preferred footwear for this nature of thing? Do riders wear shoes that biased to being strapped in, or will they opt for something with a softer sole that's better for the HAH events?

And is their vehicle of choice a Tacoma?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
And is their vehicle of choice a Tacoma?
You need a half-ton to tow your horses and gear. Not a great ROI for one horsepower. On the other hand a properly setup bed and rack on a Taco can carry 8 ebikes or about 6 horsepower. Either way though you're expending 280-400hp+ to carry only a few horses. Terrible ROI and efficiency.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Feels like a silly question but: will Wilder essentially be closed to bike traffic for the course?
Bummer if so I scheduled a Factory demo for Saturday morning.
The trails are open to bike traffic, but 100 horses is 100 horses. If you're out late morning/early afternoon, it should be clear. Take a look at the original post for timing of horse traffic on UConn and that should give you an idea for when they are out of Wilder. HTH.

·
F*** it
1,273 Posts
This is always a bit of a shitshow--literally. They say they're going to clean up, but it's always a stinky mess afterwards. I've picked up a fair amount of litter in Wilder the day after. Butt I've been out there in the middle of it and it doesn't affect the riding much.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.