Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today while playing with my daughter that I have some difference in leg strengh.
I noticed, when seated, and lifting her with my right leg, there was no trouble at all!... but with left leg, I strugled a lot, and even had to help myself with the other leg.
Assuming this, I can predict that I'm not using fully potential with both legs... leaving me with some "handicap" to one with equal strengh in both legs.

So i started thinking about specific exercise only for left, and maintenance for the right.

But while riding, should I make an effort in order to force the left leg?
Should I take it easy with my right leg?
Anyone had this problem? how did you solved it? fisioterapy?

Any help, more than welcome! Thanks!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Train one side at a time, like one legged squats, etc. Just train the strong side the same volume as the weak one. It is too difficult to determine exactly how relative the difference is and decrease the strong leg appropriately. As your weaker leg increases strength, your imbalance should diminish and all is well. You may want to see a physio for a general assessment because you likely have weak muscles elsewhere that could lead to problems down the road. Personally my right quad is way stronger than my left and my right hip abductors (move the leg to the side) are way weak compared to my left. This has lead to increased pain in my right knee. I have the luxury/bias of being in PT school right now, but if I didn't, I would look one up to make sure I train the right muscles as well as rule out any kind of nerve/systemic problem.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had always knew the assimetry that we (normal humans) have.
that doesn't give me any problem... at all! my right ball is lower than the left... one leg is bigger than the other...
the thing here, is really the BIG difference, and I'm not saying it's like this:

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
flargle said:
Congratulations! You've found the exact activity that proves that you, like every other member of the human race, are not perfectly symmetrical. And it only took you how long to find it?
Congrats on being the thread's assh()le!!! :thumbsup:

To the OP, one leg squats & one leg knee extensions in the gym.
Isolated leg training on the bike, do more repeats for the weaker leg.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
PissedOffCil said:
Congrats on being the thread's assh()le!!! :thumbsup:
I think you missed my point. Which was that, if this was the first time he noticed a strength difference between his legs, it's not worth worrying about, unless there's actually discomfort on the bike.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
flargle said:
I think you missed my point. Which was that, if this was the first time he noticed a strength difference between his legs, it's not worth worrying about, unless there's actually discomfort on the bike.
I think you missed my point, you don't have to be rude.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.