Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
bike bike bike!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Moved most my stuff from my 04 Sworks Epic onto the new Epiphany exactly a month ago. Used my Zocchi 03 Z1FR because specs said 130mm and it was what I had on hand. Medium frame, XTR kit, Thompson cockpit, XT wheelset, Avid mech brakes, Mallets, and tubed Nevegals all came up to 29.5 lbs of fantastic bike.

Maybe three pounds more than the Epic (Fox Float, Crossmax SLs, Conti Explorers) but a lot more comfortable. I loved the Epic, but the Epiphany made me a more confident rider. With the Epic, I was so stretched out I had to remove the visor from my helmet to see up the trail. And coming down steep double track it was pick the smoothest track and stick to your line. With the Epiphany, the visors back on and I'm happily upright and comfy. Climbs well enough for me, and coming down the same double track, forget the line, I'm now mowing down everything in my path, stones, rocks, roots, whatever. It's no downhill bike (thats what the Patriots for) but you get what I mean. Of course some share of credit must go to the Zocchi fork, it is confidence-inspiring.

Now heres the rub. Maybe I can get it lighter. Maybe that would be more fun. What if I could lose some of the weight and get to keep most of the benefit? So today I slapped on an 05 120mm Marathon SL I had lying around. While it is 10mm lacking in recommended travel, on the Ells page the listed angles are referenced to a Fox Talas with 495mm axle to crown. The Zocchi page has the 05 Marathon SL at 497mm axle to crown. So, will it work? The fork is on, the Crossmax SLs are on. I'll let you know after a couple of rides.

gargoyle

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
I absolutely loved my Marathon. It's an excellent combo of all things that are good about Marzocchi.

I think you'll be well within the tolerances of the bike. The Marathons ramp up nicely, so you won't miss the 10mm (<1/2") of travel all that much. The Z1 will be decidely stiffer, though, so you may notice that. But the Marathon is a worthy fork capable of much "hard riding"!

Enjoy.:thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.