Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Snapper
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

Perhaps this should be in the Big Boy section but would love your opinion. I am 6.5 and 220 lbs and was looking at the XL Epiphany. I ride aggressive XC with some jumps and small drops. Would l destroy the Epiphany. I have heard that Ellsworth have alined the XLs tubing more along the Moments tubing..... anyone know if this is true? I would get it with the alloy rocker rather than the magnesium. I have also hear that the XL is alittle flexier than the smaller sizes..... which would make sense. I understand the head angle is 69 rather than 70 on the XL which wouldnt botter me. Would love anyones thoughts on this.
Cheers
John

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Since we are on the 29er topic I thought I'd throw a couple more @ you. Pivot 429. Turner sultan.
I don't think you should pass up the Epi though. Make sure to get the Alloy rockers from the git go. To bad they don't make an XL moment.
Lots of good stuff out there to try. Have fun.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Well, you're not that heavy so I wouldn't worry too much based on that. The bike would be fine. If you are worried about the potential of flex in the rear there are other options that are more stiff (I am *NOT* saying the Ells is overly flexy...just saying there *ARE* stiffer bikes in the same category of bike). It will take what you are talking about at your weight just fine. If you get a quality fork and a good wheel build so will a 9'er.

Enjoy shopping.

Brock...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Is the XL a new Size Option for the EPI? Im also confused on the sizing. What size would fit a 5'11 on a Epi? I'm comfortable riding a Moto-Lite on a Size 19 which is a Medium on their Charts but I'm a Size 19 on my Spot which is Large.

Thanks!!!

·
Snapper
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

Yes l have delved into the heady world of 29ers. I have a Intense Spider 29er (tooooooo flexy) and a Ventana rigid SS (beautiful but not an allrounder). I have some very bling gear on my 2 x 26ers, Titus Motolite (just too small) and Yeti 575 07 (too small) which would be great to utilise. Perhaps l should call it quits on the whole 26er thing but they are just so flickable and able on the jumps. Anyway thanks for the feed back. Here in Australia the options are alittle limited because the dollar is rock bottom. A Moment in XL would be perfect.
Cheers

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
TNT-Spot said:
Is the XL a new Size Option for the EPI? Im also confused on the sizing. What size would fit a 5'11 on a Epi? I'm comfortable riding a Moto-Lite on a Size 19 which is a Medium on their Charts but I'm a Size 19 on my Spot which is Large.

Thanks!!!
I am 5'10" and I ride a Large. My LBS guy recommended a Medium but the Large is more comfortable for me. I also ride a medium Flux. Don't let the Turner boys know you are interested in a Ellsworth. You may lose your Homer status.:D

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
We already took it. We are working on his avatar...

Just kidding...I think. I'm a Turner rider who worked in an Ells shop...talk about fun. Worked at that shop with a Turner shirt on, loved it! I, personally, don't care (like most folks). I'm not a fan of a certain bike company owner (not Dave) due to hubris and repeated failures to come through on his word...but I digress....the whole Turner rider v. Ells rider is pretty entertaining. OK, thread hijack over.

To TNT: go large on the Epi.

Brock...

·
Snapper
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have discovered the the new XL frame utilises the Moment downtubing, has strengthened the top tube, come which the alloy rocker and has beefed up the chainstays. Thanks for everyones help and advice. Will probably stick with my 29ers and wait to find something my size at a good price (Aussie dollar is a shocker)
Cheers
JD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.