Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 2008 Epiphany frame with a Fox RP23 rear shock, this is a 'custom tuned' shock, does anyone know what the difference is between this shock and the standard version of the Fox RP23, and if I replaced my existing shock with a standard unit what would be the impact in the ride quality of my Epiphany ??

Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
348 Posts
Are you sure its not the RP-2 custom tuned shock? I don't recall the Epiphany's coming with a custom RP-23. The RP-23 just has the ProPedal switch. I have a "stock" RP-23 on my 10 Epi and it works great.

·
Registered
181 Posts
rp23 option

When I purchased My 2007 epi it was extra for rp23 over float.After three years of riding it needed rebuilt.Push did a tune for my wieght and the bike rode much better all around.Shock rode higher in travel for less pedal strikes and better rebound performance over rocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response

Checking my current RP23 shock it has a label on it that say 'Rebound Tune' and 3 bars which seem to indicate low/med/hi - with the low bar highlighted.

Browsing the Fox website and various online bike stores I have yet to find any indication that the standard retail units come in different rebound tune options - hence my assumption that a custom tuned shock had been used.

Any thoughts ? was this an option in 2008 that Fox have since removed ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
My Fox RP23 has the same bar for rebound. Assuming that is the factory tune? I am also assuming that the shock on your Ells is not "stock." It was an upgrade. I only know of the RP-2 being specifically tuned for the ICT design.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Not likely a 2008-only option. I have the same marking on the RP23 that came on my 2010 Truth (as the frame was leftover stock and the build originally spec'd for a RP2, I have a feeling this is one of at least three different Fox generic tunes that are available to manufacturers. Here's a pic:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.