Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a 2010 Epic expert. At 6' with 32.5" inseam I test rode both the medium and the large and felt like I can get fit to both with different stem lengths. Coming from a road bicycling background I do not have much experience with the fit on a mountain bike.
I am open to suggestions and comments. My goal is to do endurance type races on the bike.
Thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You are 1 inch shorter than me with the same inseam length. I ride a large Epic. My recommendation is to ride both for a while to see really which one fits the best. Haven ridden a medium, I would be surprised if a medium would allow for the right adjustment to fit your body, given that it wouldn't fit me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I base it on TT and SO. The medium TT would be short, but more of a fun bike upright vs stretched out. I would get the L and maybe put a 90mm vs a 105mm stem on there.

For a road bike I like a 56sm TT, but depending on the reach of the bars or the shifters that can change as well, I just adjust the stem to get into that aero zone rinding on the hoods.

Once you are on it you will find which is better, but either can be right. You have the rail adjust fore and aft; the bars wider or narrow; sweep; riser or flat; spacers above or below the stem; and stem length.

There are thousands of minute adjustments and it can take me a season to get it totally dialed, then you lend the bike to a friend and he re-adjusts the seat and post and I cannot find the zone for a few days afterwards.

Good Luck

·
Registered
626 Posts
JimmyLeggs said:
I'm 5'1" with a 32" inseam and ride an epic large and a trek madone 56cm bolth are perfect.
Jimmy -- you mean 6'1"???

I am 5'9" but tell my wifeI'm 5'10" :) ride a sworks medium with a 350mm seat post at MAX extension and a 100mm stem -- @ 5'9" seems I am on the absolute edge of a medium - for what its worth. Jim T

·
Registered
964 Posts
epic size

I'm 5'9" and ride a medium, but my inseam is only 30". Medium fits me perfectly. I'm thinking if I had a 32.5" inseam, I'd go for a large for sure. I have the seatpost out pretty far on mine, and not sure it would be safe another 2.5" out of the frame. I have friends that are 5'10" with longer inseams that do ride large Specialized frames, not Epics, but SJ 29ers. Hope that helps. On a side note, the Epic is a sweet ride.

5 Posts
Sizing as you can see can be very subjective......
as a generalization from Specialized's sizing guide you will find that the medium encompasses people from 5'6" to 5'10" and the large 5'10" to 6'2".
This obviously is not set in stone and is very subjective, but hopefully helps a bit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
diver160651 said:
Jimmy -- you mean 6'1"???

I am 5'9" but tell my wifeI'm 5'10" :) ride a sworks medium with a 350mm seat post at MAX extension and a 100mm stem -- @ 5'9" seems I am on the absolute edge of a medium - for what its worth. Jim T
My bad I was using my phone. I am 5'11"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.