Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 168cm tall ....
Would u mind telling me that Small or Medium fits for me ?
I get confused about the Spec. frame size .

I am now riding a Nomad in SMALL size .
but i feel a Medium would be better on road .
but a small is good-to-contorl in the offroad .
My height is "in the middle" of the sizing . :madman:
hard to choose .

Thanks !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same here

I have the same confusion you're experiencing now. I'm 167cm weight at 126 lbs. January this year, I bought an used bike 2004 Epic in medium. Feels great, but Always wanted to try a small size Epic, but none of the LBS carry small Epic. The ONLY way to test the bike is to wait for the TEST BIKE event which Specialized offers at the race.

Here is my opinion about Epic:
Great at responding
Climbing is exellente

I would recommend a small for you. Because of the "long" toptube, my weight is shifted/leaned forward and my rear wheel doesn't get many traction, sometimes it slips when I climb. I may have to change to a shorter stem to accommodate the fitting.

Good luck!
Ray

·
Registered
934 Posts
I totally understand...another "tweener". I think 5'5" to 5'6" is between a small and medium. I'm 5'9", so between a medium and large.

I went with the medium, thereby the smaller size. My idea is to keep the bike more manueverable where I can handle it better during more technical terrain. I have a medium Epic and currently building a medium '05 Stumpy. I have never ridden a large so can't say how it would feel. Too bad for me...however, the Epic is awesome so far.

Going with the general recommendation on testing both bikes. Ride the same short loop if possible, paying attention to cornering & climbing and general feeling on your neck, lower back and shoulders for discomfort. If still undecided, go with the small.

Then take pictures of your new purchase and post!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, after consulting my trusty metric converter, turns out I'm around 170 cm. I ride a size small Spec s-works carbon HT. With a 9 cm stem and a Thomson layback post, it fits like a glove. For MTB, especially for race purposes, you need to be able to move the bike around underneath. Also keep in mind that a bike shop will almost always size you on a bike that's too big. I haven't ridden an Epic, but my guess is that with the suspension, a small Epic will sit slightly higher than a HT, so my suggestion would be to go for the small.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.