Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can you go on the East Coast of the US and get epic riding and be near to a relatively large city. Taking a weekend for some great riding but the wife, kid a nd a friend are coming along so we can hang out after the riding is done. So, I need a place withing a 5 hour drive from NJ that can keep the ladies busy while I ride.

I'm thinking I have to go North or South. West is good riding but not much out there in the way of big towns. Maybe VA has some good stuff or even up north towards Vermont? I'm not sure of what any of these states have to offer in terms of cities and shopping/outlet malls !!

And before you say it, no, the wife just does not ride so it's not an option to take her along, she hates it.

·
Still chuggin' along
859 Posts
You could ride in Frederick, MD at Gambrill State Park while your wife and kids tour DC. Gambrill is about and hour and a half from DC, maybe two. That'll keep you busy for the day :) Check here for more info about what's around http://www.more-mtb.org/index.php

I hope you find something!

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
Burlington, Vt

Great trails in Stowe and Waterbury.
Closer to home, Boston area north or south or west has great opportunities for a 3 hour ride. I can ride Blue Hills (south) for 4 + hours without overlapping trails.
Who says the wife has to go to the city? Resort-type areas have lots to do while you ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr Magoo said:
Great trails in Stowe and Waterbury.
Closer to home, Boston area north or south or west has great opportunities for a 3 hour ride. I can ride Blue Hills (south) for 4 + hours without overlapping trails.
Who says the wife has to go to the city? Resort-type areas have lots to do while you ride.
city/town, anything to keep them busy for a weekend...

·
255 Posts
You could head to DC or Balitmore and ride Frederick Watershed or Patapsco/Avalon. Baltimore is closer to Patapsco; not sure about the Watershed.

There are also some smaller Blue Ridge mountain towns (Charlottesville, Staunton...) in VA near some epic riding, but they are about 7 hours from NJ (at least from the NJ Shore).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts