Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
I rode the 35mi course a few weeks ago just for giggles. I have a cabin is just down the road from the start line. The Trailforks or Strava gpx is very easy to follow.

The course is amazing, so much good singletrack, the climbing is actually fun, the downhill is freaking scream-worthy, and the weather is amazing.

That said... $130 entry fee is absolutely highway f$&king robbery and I refuse to pay that for a sub-4 hour race. Epic Rides can shove that up their can. I don’t need another pint glass or to indirectly pay for a band.
I had a crazy fun time at the Javalina Stampede race in Prescott in June. 80 racers, 97% singletrack, 20miles, 2400 feet of climbing, awesome grassroots vibe and it cost $45 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Great event; done it many times. Yeah, it’s pricey, but Epic does a great job and really supports the local communities. Plus, they have become a force in promoting and growing the sport of mountain biking today. Worth your money, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The course is amazing, so much good singletrack, the climbing is actually fun, the downhill is freaking scream-worthy, and the weather is amazing.
Really great to hear this! Sounds like it may be a better overall course than the Whiskey, which is what I was hoping for!

Great event; done it many times. Yeah, it's pricey, but Epic does a great job and really supports the local communities. Plus, they have become a force in promoting and growing the sport of mountain biking today. Worth your money, IMO.
I thoroughly enjoyed the event in Prescott this past April. Fun weekend all around. This gives me something to look forward to and a reason to keep some level of focus on my fitness during the summer.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Really great to hear this! Sounds like it may be a better overall course than the Whiskey, which is what I was hoping for!
I think it's a better overall course vs. the Whiskey, though the new stuff in the Whiskey course gives it a run for the money. But there is less grinding climbing, and tons of great singletrack. Very fun event!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
That said... $130 entry fee is absolutely highway f$&king robbery and I refuse to pay that for a sub-4 hour race.
Do the 50. Same price and more time.

I did the 50 at TOWM last year (first time) and 50 at Whiskey this year for 4th time. TOWM is much smaller vibe, but still a well run event. Epic rides are not cheap, but are always well attended so must be doing something right. There are cheaper events. Heck you can always ride trails for free.

I probably won't do TOWM this year due to schedule conflict.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow they really cranked the price up for your the white mountains. I wonder if it's because of the Oz race in Bentonville the same month that they also host??

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.