Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey

I'm planning our 2010 epic ride schedule and I have a request for a family trip to the Virginia Creeper. We will most likely be camping at Bear Mountain Campsite in Damascus.

I wanted to gather some info. for us other mtn. bikers who want to do some epic rides. More like mini 30 mile epic rides. I used the ole search function and came up with the Iron Mountain Race route. Would be interested to see if we can add more to that route.

Will keep searching also.

Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Take a look at Trails Illustrated Mount Rogers National Recreation Area Map #786. If you don't mind some horse trail and connecting with some fire roads you should be able to get a lot of miles.

·
US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
2,033 Posts
dhouskee said:
Hey

I'm planning our 2010 epic ride schedule and I have a request for a family trip to the Virginia Creeper. We will most likely be camping at Bear Mountain Campsite in Damascus.

I wanted to gather some info. for us other mtn. bikers who want to do some epic rides. More like mini 30 mile epic rides. I used the ole search function and came up with the Iron Mountain Race route. Would be interested to see if we can add more to that route.

Will keep searching also.

Appreciate any feedback.
Sounds interesting :D
I live about an hour (+/-) from Abingdon's entry to the Creeper,and have yet to actually get out there and ride the whole thing (I've ridden about 6-8 miles of it with the kids on their little bikes and the wifey walking...). I may be interested,but it would all depend on when and from what point,as I'm the house"wife" now and care for both kids when she's at work. PM me and lemme know as you get more figured out.

But yeah...a 30 miler seems epic enough to me as I sit here typing,not having ridden in a couple-few weeks,LOL! :)
Steve

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take a look at Trails Illustrated Mount Rogers National Recreation Area Map #786. If you don't mind some horse trail and connecting with some fire roads you should be able to get a lot of miles.
Matt, small world. Will take a look at #786.

Hillbilly hank...perfect thanks. From reading the queue sheet it looks like the road riding is a small percentage of the total...maybe less than a quarter of the whole route? A little road riding is usually expected. Pisgah always has some road riding to get to the good stuff.

Longhaul...got your PM and will definitely keep you in the loop once we get plans finalized.

·
i ride a bicycle
156 Posts
Hey Hillbilly Hank great link and site for the Damascus area ! I ve rode there numerous times and that will be helpful on planning the next route.

David I m always lookin for a reason to ride at Iron mtn! Its about an hour drive for us so keep us posted ( i m in as long as we hit RUSH !!)

todd

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David I m always lookin for a reason to ride at Iron mtn! Its about an hour drive for us so keep us posted ( i m in as long as we hit RUSH !!)
Will do, I think there will be plenty of interest for the family to drive 5 hours for the VA Creeper as a 'destination' trail.

The rest of us who want to hit 30 miles of epic goodness is who I need to coerce into a 5 hour drive for a destination visit. I still need to look at the info. provided and add a 20 miler to a second day of that weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.