Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All -

What are your favorite epic rides in Colorado, or for that matter the Rocky Mountains?

I'm in better shape than I have been in years, and I'm looking forward to getting out on some loooong rides in the backcountry this summer.

I've ridden Monarch Crest Trail a few times in the last couple of years, and of course I like it, but I'm looking for new, different, and loooonger rides! Maybe 50 miles or so, but certainly longer than the 25 of MCT...let's say a range of 25 to 100 miles. Or, using the better perspective of time frame, maybe 6 to 12 hours of saddle time for a reasonably fit cyclist.

What are your favorites?

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
About once a year I try to ride to Rollins Pass from Nederland. I ususally run out of time due to all the sidetracking I tend to do, and have to turn back early, but always a big happy day.

How about the sourdough, end to end and back again?

The Rainbow trail is plenty long enough to make an epic out of.

The Laramie Enduro.

Kenosha to Breck on the CO trail.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Tipperary Creek loop.
Start in WP ride to Frasier, start climbing, ride til you can't anymore.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
sandan said:
Tipperary Creek loop.
Start in WP ride to Frasier, start climbing, ride til you can't anymore.
Are you sure you're not refering to the race? Best race to do in WP, you get a sample of everything!

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
How about up Vail pass to Commando. Down through the back bowls. Up through Minturn to Meadow Mtn. Up & down Meadow Mtn to Eagle-Vail then back to Vail. YOu'd have to contend with bits of road inbetween the trails, but it would cover 6000' elevation over 30-40 miles. Even better, start in West Vail, ride up Davos to the west Vail Trail that parallels I-70. Out to Middle Creek or Son of Middle Creek, then up Vail pass to the above.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Some of my favs..

Monarch Crest, with all of the rainbow trail to Salida, I have only done the common loop, I want to do the whole thing, should be over 50 miles.
Vail-Two Elk to Minturn, then Meadow Mountain, about 40 miles, I'm usually wasted by the end of that day.
Durango-Molas Pass to Engineer Mountain to Cascade Creek, if you ride on 550 from cascade creek to Molas Pass and then do the entire trail it's about 50 miles.
Fruita-All the kokopelli loops-30 milesish??

·
Registered
220 Posts
The Cherry Creek Bike Path!!

haahahaha...just kidding....

Thought we all could use the laugh! I have yet to do any of the above epic rides. I'm such a loser....

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
A few more ...

rapwithtom said:
Hey All -

What are your favorite epic rides in Colorado, or for that matter the Rocky Mountains?

What are your favorites?
How about Kokepelli Trail, from Fruita to Moab. (not strictly Colorado)

Also, Angle Fire, NM, to Taos -- about 35 miles of down hill.

Pikes Peak, from above the old Ski Resort down to Manitou Springs (or how about up and back down!).

The airplane big loop, out of Palmer Lake -- about 35 miles, much of which is about 10,000 ft. (There's weeks of riding back in there -- oops, shouldn't have said that.)

There's at least 50 miles of trail by Divide, CO.

How about this: a training ride a friend of mine does for the LT100:

From Colorado Springs, ride to Palmer Lake and back on the bike trail.

Then head up the chutes, up Captain Jacks, then to Jones Park.

Ride up Baldy Mountain, then back down.

You'll be tired. :)

Oh yeah: one more epic: the Edge Loop in Fruita: lots of road, but epic (was the first IMBA Epic). And then there's the recent IMBA Epic, in Buff Creek (but we all know that area so well, we don't think of it as epic).

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
rapwithtom said:
What are your favorites?
Three come to mind immediately ...

Two Elk To Minturn - Vail - Basically you ride up Vail mountain on a jeep road, take and take singletrack (Commando, Two Elk) into Minturn and return to Vail via the highway and then bike path.

The Forty Miler - Sh*tty name, I know, but it's the name and it stuck. Every year, usually on Memorial Day weekend we get a group to ride it. We leave our cars at the Waterton parking lot and find some sucker to drive us up to Pine Valley Open Space Park. Then we ride up Buck Gulch, down Gashouse, and take the Colorado Trail all the way back into Littleton. It's forty-some-odd miles with some hell climbing, but it's very fun. And you get to see some parts of the Colorado Trail you never ride.

Hazard County, Moab - Get Jesse to drive you up all the way up to the La Salles and you ride alpine single track down to the lazy-man's entrance to Porcupine Rim. Then you bomb down that into town.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i'll make couple of suggestions close to the springs.

the "ring the peak trail' , a trail that travels all the way around pikes peak. it is said to take 8-10 hrs.

jones park from town takes about 5-6 hours depending on your exact route, the best ride on the frontrange imho.

The airplane big loop, out of Palmer Lake -- about 35 miles, much of which is about 10,000 ft. (There's weeks of riding back in there -- oops, shouldn't have said that.)
this is a great ride, but only takes about 4hrs. unless he's taking about a bigger loop that i don't know about.

·
Registered
770 Posts
rapwithtom said:
Hey All -

I'm in better shape than I have been in years, and I'm looking forward to getting out on some loooong rides in the backcountry this summer.

I've ridden Monarch Crest Trail a few times in the last couple of years, and of course I like it, but I'm looking for new, different, and loooonger rides! Maybe 50 miles or so, but certainly longer than the 25 of MCT...let's say a range of 25 to 100 miles. Or, using the better perspective of time frame, maybe 6 to 12 hours of saddle time for a reasonably fit cyclist.

What are your favorites?
Hey tom, me again. Epics are pretty tough to come about this time of year. However there are a couple that have intrigued me.
1. Morrison->Falcon->Lair O da Bear->74 into evergreen->Dedisse Park->3 sisters-> Bergen->Morrison. That would probably be on 5-6 hour area.

2. Colorado Trail...go as far as ya can before you turn around! Thats playing with your head isn't it?

3. As far as what is the best....The stuff in durango comes to mind. Molas-coal bank....ooohh Thats an awesome ride. The riding in durango is vertical but the colorado trail NEVER DISAPPOINTS!!!!

4. The riding in Breckenridge with a combination of Colorado Trail and the peaks trail would make for a 4-5 hour day.

5. And if you find all of this on the easy side...well here ya go!
http://www.montezumasrevenge.com/

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Debaser said:
Are you sure you're not refering to the race? Best race to do in WP, you get a sample of everything!
Basically it's the race course, but, towards the end I like to hit Ho Chi Minh trail, a couple of laps around Chainsaw/Zoom/Flume and a few others I can't remember the names of. Ho Chi Minh is a blast!
And yep it's definitely the best race in WP.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've got a few...

1. Fort Collins -- there are numerous ways to hook up a 4-6 hour ride from town here. Here's one: Pineridge north to A-trail, Shoreline to the upper loop on Michaud, road to Lory State Park, Valley trail to Towers Road, Mill Creek, to Valley Trail (insert more loops in Horsetooth Mt Park here to lengthen), then either back on the road around the south end of the res, or back the way you came on dirt.

2. Crested Butte. If you ride from town, any of the "famous" rides (401, Teocalli, Deer Creek, etc) are in the 2.5-4 hour range. It is very easy to "add on" here or there to lengthen any ride. Also, Pearl Pass to Aspen one day and Taylor pass back the next is worthwhile (not for the riding, necessarily, but for the epicness and scenery).

3. Last year we did a two day trip centered in Breck. Day one: Up Tiger Road to the Colorado Trail, then CT all the way down. Something like 35-40 miles. Then Day two: Breck up Wheeler trail, over the top, down to Copper, Bike path to Frisco and Peaks Trail back to Breck. If you're looking for a "sunup to sundown" ride, try these two together in one day. (I think there's an ultra in Breck that does something like that plus more).

on my "to do" list would be Laramie Enduro, Vail Commando, WP Tipperany...

...easy to find similar rides in WP, Steamboat, Vail, etc.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
dino said:
3. Day one: Up Tiger Road to the Colorado Trail, then CT all the way down. Something like 35-40 miles.

on my "to do" list would be Laramie Enduro, Vail Commando, WP Tipperany...
Tiger Road -> CT, awesome ride. You can hook up a trail to Keystone and then back for some added miles.

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
How about the Jeffco trail epic---Start at Lookout and up Chimney Gulch to Apex to Dakota Ridge to Green Mtn then back over Dakota Ridge and then the road up to Mt Falcon to the top over to Lair of the Bear and then the road back down. Great long ride close to town with bail out points....should be real close to 50 miles

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A whole summer's worth of fun!

Thanks all for the many fine suggestions! I can't wait to try a few of these!

Of particular interest to me are:
- a couple of routes that the Montezuma's Revenge trail uses...including biking up a 14er! I've heard of that, but now I know the way
- The CT trail around Durango, including Molas Pass
- The CT trail around Breck

Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
473 Posts
yetirich said:
How about the Jeffco trail epic---Start at Lookout and up Chimney Gulch to Apex to Dakota Ridge to Green Mtn then back over Dakota Ridge and then the road up to Mt Falcon to the top over to Lair of the Bear and then the road back down. Great long ride close to town with bail out points....should be real close to 50 miles
DId it last year starting at White Ranch -- Belcher, Shorthorn to Maverick and back down -- though we skipped Green Mtn. Came in at 47 miles with around 6,000 feet of climbing. It's one of my favorite rides. I think we're going to do it once a year.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
rapwithtom said:
I've ridden Monarch Crest Trail a few times in the last couple of years, and of course I like it, but I'm looking for new, different, and loooonger rides! Maybe 50 miles or so, but certainly longer than the 25 of MCT...
Dude, dude, dude ... don't tell me you've been riding MCT without Rainbow! If so, you have yet to ride the damn thing. You, my good man, are in for a treat!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.