Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does a ride have to be before you consider it epic? Time or mileage will work...

For that matter, does epic have to refer to the length of the ride or can it have more to do with the location?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
It's all relative. I think if it was hard for you then you can call it epic. Epic could even be the one ride that you have been dying to ride and not hard at all. Let's just say epic is any ride outside of your norm.:thumbsup:

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,609 Posts
I try to avoid the term "epic", since it seems to be overused, as is the German word for "over" (spelled: über).

That aside, anything with more than 5,000 vertical feet of ascent, I consider to be pretty grueling:

http://www.strava.com/komchallenge/leopold-porkstacker-11351/results/february
(three of them right there)

I take into consideration the ascent and terrain rather than the miles. I did a 110.5 mile ride (all paved) on the same bike just under one year ago, didn't seem as demanding as doing the 8,752 foot ride from a week ago last Saturday. Makes things even more of a commitment when the bike you ride on weighs just short of 50 pounds (3.9 of them are just from the rear Shimano Alfine internally-geared hub!).

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
A few years back IMBA insisted it had to be over a certain distance to qualify for their list of "epic" rides. I'm thinking it was 60 miles. I don't know if they still do that. Since "epic" just means worth talking about, any ride in the passion forum would qualify.

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
For me it's any ride where I have to consider emergency shelter, fresh water and inclement weather before heading out. +6 hours or even a 100 miles are not indications of an epic ride if done at some sort of organized event and just laps.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
marzjennings said:
For me it's any ride where I have to consider emergency shelter, fresh water and inclement weather before heading out. +6 hours or even a 100 miles are not indications of an epic ride if done at some sort of organized event and just laps.
Yeah, I think I agree with this.

I just seem to see the word "epic" thrown out all the time. What is epic to one person, could be a stroll in the park to another.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,183 Posts
California Über Alles... oops (hail to the Dead Kennedy's!). Yes epic and über are overused to the MAX.

EPIC rides in IMBA speak are 30+ mile rides that have significant level of impact on riders in a particular geographic region.

There was a 62 miler in my neck of the woods last year and riders could choose to do 40 or 25 as well.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
boomn said:
He climbs like a goat on crack too, probably because his bike is so laterally stiff yet vertically compliant!
I have chased Monte around Gooseberry and Guacamole. Not always a good idea to follow the lines of an Intense rider on a rigid bike. At least I did not fall into a rain pool. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
epic to me is any time i perform just a little bit better than usual. Maybe its only a little extra boost of energy on that long straight, or a better climb up a tricky section.

Nothing monumental, but I think its clearing the small things that make all the difference.
But ride length would be 2.5-3 hours. Thats as long as i can go, maybe 3.5 if i pushed myself.

Idk how you guys do 6 hour rides. Easier terrain? Lighter bike?

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Easy

joshman108 said:
But ride length would be 2.5-3 hours. Thats as long as i can go, maybe 3.5 if i pushed myself. Idk how you guys do 6 hour rides. Easier terrain? Lighter bike?
Easy. When you get to 3.5 hours just keep riding. Most people ride way too fast. You are sitting down, you can coast, and most of us have gears. If you pace yourself you can ride a really long time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.