Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Specialized bike is better suited to endurance racing? The Epic or the Stumpjumper?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Epic Marathon

I think the Epic Marathon with the longer travel F-100 Fox Fork would be a pretty nice ride. A lot of this is just personal preference. I have seen some endurance guys going for HT 29ers and others riding rigid frames. Look at the Epic Marathon and then convince yourself that something else is better.

·
Registered
443 Posts
what kind of stuff are you riding in/through (technical, hardpack, etc.)? I just got an epic about 6 weeks ago for xc racing. Its great, 100 mm in front and back (Have the 2006 comp). Can be setup to ride very plush or stiff. Its a very versatile race bike, but having said that I'm sure the SJ can be turned into a great race bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mostly ride flat well kept trails and hills with some tight technical climbs
and a few half meter drops here and there, nothing too extreme. The main
reason for my post was to find out which bike is more comfortable after 6 hours or so in the saddle. I'm leaning more towards the epic but i don't have any interest in racing.
When i ride i generally pedal as hard as i can with no finesse.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Best thing to do is head to your local specialized dealer and try them both out. Most (if not all) specialized dealers will have one you can borrow for a rigorous test ride.

·
fight the system
411 Posts
I've raced on an S Works Epic and 3 FSR's and can say for your riding style you'd probably want an epic. The fsr is better in rougher terrain but you gotta be more smooth. The epic is the perfect aggressive style full suspension and feels like a hardtail no matter how ugly your pedaling style - better than any other full suspension. On the other hand, if you almost never stand up and pedal like me then the brain isnt necessary for good performance and where I live now in Colorado 5" of travel is a good thing to have and I'd reckon maybe a bit lighter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went and had a test ride on the Epic & Stumpjumper today. Both were great rides, but
the Epic seems to be better suited to my riding style. Do you think upgrading the fork
to a F100x with terralogic would be a good move?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I did...

When I had my Epic, I sold the F100RL and got the F100X. It just seemed natural to have them together. The RL bobbed to much for my out of the saddle mashing that I like to do. I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
yea, i feel the RL bobs quite a bit, but I don't have the money to replace it with anything better. Besides, the Rl is the first fox shock I've ever had and it beats the crap out of my previous manitou's. VIVA LA FOX!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts