Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
dirt visionary
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks I just scored me a nice epic and was wondering what this bike can handle? I am decently skilled rider who rides downhill and freeride. I love to go fast ,get air, and blow thorugh chunky stuff. With that said my limits are well outside of the bikes limits but I want to see what kind of abuse other have put their epics through trailriding.

Mainly I wan't to know about the drops/hits/jumps as I encounter stuff like this on almost every trail here in Az.

No I am not going to treat it like a freeride or dh bike and rock it on the dh trails but don't want to roll stuff that I can drop while maintaining speed while out trailriding on the epic

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
i dont think you have to worry too much about breaking the bike, just breaking yourself if you forget for a second that your on xc geometry, on fr/dh geo.......it happens to me sometimes when i go from my demo to my stumpy hardtail, lol. The bikes are tough.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have one of these and yes it is a xc race bike, but I have used mine for an everyday trail bike also, it works great, It will handle any jumps and drops you will find on a xc trail. I used to race motocross so I dont shy away from jumps on the trail with in reason, and mine has held up well.

·
dirt visionary
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you must know its because I got it for $450 as it sits.No its not stolen and the guy I bought it from bought it from the same bike shop I bought my sxtrail and daughters hotrock.He just got the 2010 carbon epic and wifey said it needed to go .

Anyways I started riding on a hardtail then moved to a motobecane fantom, then to a enduro. Loved the enduro but found myself pushing my limits and bought an sxtrail. I love my sxtrail and it was better all around than my enduro plus I could jump with confindence so I sold the enduro.

Ever since then I have used my sxtrail for everything but when I am out on all day trail rides well the weight just starts to wear on me. So I have a 6.7" travel bike a 8" travel couch, a 4.5" slopestyle ,a 5" all mountain which is my oldests but fits me and now once again a lighter trail bike so I will be riding this more for now on for trail riding and longer rides as its more efficent but I don't want to snap the frame on something I think is easy which is any 2ft drop which many of the az trails have . Well at least the interesting trails worth riding IMO.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
A 2 foot drop is not XC riding. Now the bike may or may not be able to handle it, but it was never intended to go off a drop that big. I would say if anything the wheels would be the first to suffer going off drops that big (big for an XC bike, that is).

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have been riding Epics since 2003. I have found they can handle just about anything even though they are built for XC racing. The main limitation on steep downhills besides the limited travel is that the geometry is very quick so you really need to be on your game (of course it's not built for true down hill riding). XC/all purpose trail/marothon riding is all good. Enjoy.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you going slow and have flat landings sure -- 2' drops all day will eventually take its toll; But If you going fast, ride LIGHT and have a down hill landing 2' isn't much for any bike.. If you ride like a heavy basher you will toast any xc rim -- then maybe the bike.. but the main difference between my epic and stumpjumper is the suspension valving.. sure the angles a a bit different and my SJ is AL my Epic Carbon.. but the frames seem equally as strong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.