Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yep, I know most of you don't want to hear this but....been riding my okole off this past month, unreal winter weather for our forest trails that aren't in flames :eek: . Jewels picked a cloudy day for a photo sesh and snapped some nice pics. :thumbsup: mad photo skillz!
here's a sampling of some shots deemed worthy of posting.

Nothing gets the mind off workstress like a good booter :D ...

obligatory non-homer shots...
whodaphuck whips it :cool:

Having a MD on your rides is always comforting, here he is forgetting what he does for a living...

thanx for watching.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,577 Posts
Dooooode, sweet shots. I've got the bug to ride pretty bad, and your not helping any:smallviolin: I'd much rather have a muddy ride like that, then be lookin at snow, and crazy cold temps. But thems the perks of livin in Iowa I guess.

Keep the stoke comin, just another couple months and the weather starts gettin nice, and I should (God willing) have a nice shiny new bike waitin to be abused...

happy trails...

squish

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,120 Posts
Great shots Airwreck! Props to Jewels on the pics and you on the riding. I love that red HI dirt. Looks like a lot of fun.

BTW, not to bring up a sore subject, but what fork are you riding there? Looks like a Zoke, but last I remember the 66SL blew up and you weren't happy with those guys.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
squish said:
I'd much rather have a muddy ride like that...
we call that dry :D .

Pinch, yep that's my old 66sl, as long as I don't try and check the air pressure or touch any knobs it's good :rolleyes: . Had a brutal casing on a 20' step down gap yesterday and something doesn't feel right anymore, not sure if it's me or the bike :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

El-C, typically winter is time to chill on the craziness on the dirt and focus on craziness in the water, this year the surf has been ho-hum and every time we hit the dirt you figure it will be the last dry day for a while, so hit 'em while the hittin's good :thumbsup: .

Thanks everyone, Jewels rules :p .

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
'Wreck, those are some killer pictures! Nice moves too!
Just the thing to get my stoke going, after hosing my back riding Sunday.

Mind if geek it up and ask how and what Jewels used for the phots? Those are dammed good shots and shooting it the woods tough. Did he use a monopod? An Aux flash?

Awesome stuff all around!

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
dude...those pics are awesome! :thumbsup::D that first one is the shiznit! :)
winter riding rocks!!! :D

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
E,

It looks like all that digging is really working out for you guys!! :thumbsup: Good on ya.....FM and I have been in that same mode lately as well.

Hey, how are you liking the deviant? I've heard the chinstraps are in a funky location.....can you confirm or deny those comments? I'm in the market for a new FF this year as my old Bell is played.

Cheers,
EB

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bikezilla said:
Mind if geek it up and ask how and what Jewels used for the phots?
she's been working hard at it and was also not riding that day just shooting. Those are all hand helds (tree braced ;)).
You need to get into using a EXIF viewer, we have opanda, and you can get info about photos. I can tell you that to me anyway, there is a lot going on technically in her photos, lens choice, camera settings, composition, and the forest is frustrating for light!

Sorry about the back, have you been doing any yoga?

ebxtreme said:
It looks like all that digging is really working out for you guys!! :thumbsup: Good on ya.....FM and I have been in that same mode lately as well.
We had a perfect run of weather to ride in some dirt work for sure. The past few days we've had high winds from the opposite direction and the forest is now coated in a fresh deep layer of leaves, sticks, and branches. It was a real treat to rail debris free dirt for a couple weeks there.

ebxtreme said:
Hey, how are you liking the deviant? I've heard the chinstraps are in a funky location.....can you confirm or deny those comments? I'm in the market for a new FF this year as my old Bell is played.
I don't think I can recommend one if you think you will reallly use it, I would have to call it flimsy and okay for the occasional light hit or face plant. I can't see it surviving repeated heavier impacts, and I think your head would be feeling it, primarily because the thin padding.

That said, I do like wearing it, it has a nice feel on my head, and I have used it, although last week I did a mean face plant wearing a xc lid :rolleyes:. I'm finding that any features that encourage me to wear the FF is a good thing, a second big/fast day helmet is probably a good idea though.

chinstrap location is fine for all my chins :lol:, I dig the old school d-ring cinch strap setup too.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Wow! Some great shots there. Seems like her photog skills have really improved. Is that Kenny on the Ells by chance?

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
airwreck said:
she's been working hard at it and was also not riding that day just shooting. Those are all hand helds (tree braced ;)).
You need to get into using a EXIF viewer, we have opanda, and you can get info about photos. I can tell you that to me anyway, there is a lot going on technically in her photos, lens choice, camera settings, composition, and the forest is frustrating for light!
Okay I'm gonna bare my ignorance (and lazyness) and ask what is EXIF?:eek: :blush:
Yep I could see right off the bat her shots had a lot going on... it really shows skill and planning. The solid steady frames are what made me think monopod... tree brace is a lot easier than lugging extra gear. The flashed pan shot on the berm is stellar, so is the flashed underside shot against the sky.

All killer stuff, if she hasn't sent this stuff into Bike, she should!:thumbsup:

I really dig the inensity on this:

As for Yoga...never tried it...maybe I will. My problem is lack of excersize other than biking... shame on me too, I used to be such a gym rat.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
'zilla, download opanda and then start right clicking on photos to view the EXIF info. That's really all I know :eek: :eek: ....

sounds like you need to work on your hip flexors, I'll dig up the title of my favorite stretching video and you should check it out.

DB, there is a lifetime supply of assorted dirt piles in this forest from when they dozed and reforested 20 some years ago. All you have to do is clear the accumulation of deadfall and dial it in. For instance, the booter had been hiding on the side of the trail and I happened to notice it a couple weeks ago after many years. The trail feeds into it perfectly, and actually used to take a turn to the left in that spot. The xc crew has a tendency to freak when certain death gap jumps suddenly appear that the trail flows right into :eek: .

Nearly everything was pre-existing, it's amazing the perfect setups, and there is endless logs, stumps, etc. to work with also.

Typically the soil there gets saturated from jan. to may. The idea is to get any digging done while it's wet but not too wet and then wait. Well we did that, and lucked into a dry spell that baked it perfectly. Now we are in a too dry spell and the dirt is good for tossing but too dry to pack.

The other cool thing is the gulches, same thing, just need to clear the debris and you get super fun dirt half pipeage playground. The second photo show one of the gulch drop in's, air of the root sends ya, then it's hip on the right side, to hip/wall on the left to, hip right to....:thumbsup:

Hoping to get some video together that really shows what's up, in the meantime have a closer look at the collective and see if anything looks familiar :winker: .

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Really awesome shots and great looking riding in the forest!

I particularly like the flashed pan shot in the berm. Great photo technique and looking oh soooooooo fast!

BZ: EXIF is a format for storing all the information about the picture (the so called "metadata"). For example exposure data, flash info, lens, camera, focal length (if it's a zoom), etc.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.