Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped in my spare back wheel when the original one on my Epic 2003 wore through the rim. Since then, I've almost gone mad trying to tune the front derailleur; I just can't get it shift over all 3 front rings, 2 is the most it'll do. After a long read through Zinns book, I concluded that the chain line was changed with the spare back wheel - is this a reasonable assumption ?

I was going to upgrade to a pair of Mavic Crosslands this week anyway, but does anyone know if I'm likely to have the same problem with the front derailleur with these wheels ?

The reviews for the LX shift on this website are pretty poor - could it just be down to wear and tear and I need a new mech ?

All war stories appreciated !

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
I doubt it's a chainline issue - it's not a reasonable assumption. If it were your rear der shifting would be all effed up. Sounds more like an adjustment issue. Perhaps your front shifter decided to die at the same time as the rear wheel? The lx front der shifts fine, I can't tell any difference between it and any of the other ones except bling factor, however, if you managed to wear through your rear rim you've been riding a lot, and it may be time to replace some stuff. Check your front shifter. Check your cables, check your stop adjustment on the front der. Try this, with the bike in a stand or upside down, back out the stop screws a ways and see if, by pulling on the front der cable where it runs down the downtube, you can cause it to shift through all 3 rings. If you can, it's the shifter. If you can't, there is something wrong with the derailleur. That said, front der are pretty simple devices, if something is wrong with it, you should be able to spot it visually. Make sure there isn't a rock caught in it.

·
Super Moderator
20,787 Posts
Problem with cable tightening bolt on my Epic

Since you are talking about problems with the front derailleur... I recently switched from a Deore to a Deore XT and it is complicated to tighten the cable bolt on the XT, when it has no tension (smaller chainring) the bolt is angled towards the bottom bracket pivot, so I can barely fit my allen. What I currently do is tighten it a little with the long side of the allen wrench (mine has one of those "angle-roundish ends") and then push it manually to move the bolt up and fully tighten. I would post a pic but I am not home right now.

Sorry about taking over the thread ;)

Thanks
-Cris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts