Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My experience with Magura's MTS brakes, which comes standard on the Epic WC bike is pretty poor.

Having done nearly 100 miles on the bike, the moment the brakes come into contact with water or moisture I get terrible squealing and slight vibration - so loud it's unacceptable.

The culprit I think, is the disc (or glazed pads...?)

Is anyone here having the same problem?

I've read Shimano XT's ice tec rotors solve this but this comes with a weight penalty, heavier than Magura's discs.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My Formula R1's and TheOne's both did the same thing. I changed pads....changed to the 2 pc rotors....nothing would stop the equal. Before them, my Avid X0's did it....I think it's just something we have to live with.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have about 75 miles on my new Epic WC and just did a ride in the snow up at Buffalo Creek. As soon as the brakes got wet they howled and vibrated like mad. I had a similar experience with Formula T1's before that. There are threads that say the RT86 rotors from Shimano along with Endurance pads help, but I have not tried that so I cannot attest to the fix.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

I'm thinking of taking the pads out, sand on fine sandpaper and re-install and perhaps re-align the calliper. Rub the discs down with disc cleaner. Can't see this making much of a difference tbh....

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I just sent a message to a buddy of mine who works for Magura, via Facebook, and asked him for ideas. I will post them when I hear from him.

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
Pad squeal has been an issue as long as disc brakes have been around. Some things to try in order of importance:

1) Re-heat cycle the brakes - get on top of a big hill and use your brakes 15-20 times hard on the way down - pulses of intense braking, followed by a pause to re-gather speed. This treatment will tend to remove contaminants in the pads or rotors via the heat generated. Resin pads need less heat treatment than sintered ones.

2) Clean the rotors with iso-propyl alcohol (this will remove any oils on the rotors).

3) Replace pads. Resin pads on ally backing plates will produce less noise than sintered on steel. Heat cycle the new pads before use.

4) Remove pads and check for even piston movement. A sticking piston can cause uneven pad movement and vibration with the rotor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
All brakes would squeal when wet. Heat them up lightly to heat them up and dry then off.

Stock Magura brakes on specialized bikes are a nightmare. I had them on my epic and i had noise and vibrations. I tried everything - adjustment, sanding etc. I had to clean them up after every ride with alcohol. It reduced noise and vibration but it was like i had to break in the pads every time. Stopping power was appalling. I replaced the pads eventually. The 7.3 pads aren't so good. I installed the 7.1 pads which were a lot better.

I say "were a lot better" because i just changed my bike. I have the Formula T1 S on my camber and so far i really like them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mtnbkr80015 - Thanks. Please let me know what he says.

skiwi - Thanks. With regard to point number 4, do you mean push the pistons back with a flathead screwdriver, then pull in the lever slowly while checking that both pistons come in evenly? If they don't, I assume it's a calliper strip-down?

senseye1977 - I understand you cannot fully eliminate squeal but having ridden a few brakes in the past (Hope and Avid) I've never known squeal and vibration of this scale with these Maguras.

I'm going to dump the OEM 7.3 pads and go with 7.1. I feel sanding and cleaning will make no difference in this case..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've order 2 pairs of 7.1 pads to try. Will report back in week's time.

I'm not expecting the squeal to be fully eliminated but less noise and vibration is what I'm hoping for.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well just to do my due diligence, I sanded down the rotors and brake pads and cleaned them with alcohol. I checked piston alignment and all was good. After replacing the stock pads, I went through the complete and proper bed in procedure, and I thought all was good, but the sound and vibration has come back! I will try new pads, but I am still waiting for news from Magura. Thanks to all you guys for the great suggestions! These certainly aren't my first set of disc brakes, nor is it the first time I have dealt with squealing or howling. I know there are times that most brakes are susceptible to noise when wet, but these are the worst case I can remember. Although I am no longer a mechanic by trade, I still keep all of my bikes in excellent working order, and think there has to be an answer from the factory that will remedy this situation without me having to re-engineer a brand new product!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mtnbkr80015 - I'm hopeful it's the OEM 7.3 pads causing the real issue. You may want to try the 7.1 ones like me, if you haven't already?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
mtnbkr80015 - I'm hopeful it's the OEM 7.3 pads causing the real issue. You may want to try the 7.1 ones like me, if you haven't already?
Among the usual fixes(sanding rotor,pad, and cleaning with alcohol) pad compound was suggested as the culprit by my guy at Magura. Some good news, after my attempts to fix the howling this morning with the above fixes, my bike was silent during my wet and muddy ride this morning, but not sure if rotors or pads were contaminated too much from the wet and mud. We will see, but I will be trying several different compounds, and report back as to the best solution. Cheers!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I am thinking od buying XTR brakes and the 6 bolt ice rotors even if they are a bit heavier or keep the magura rotors but XTRS are a bit expensive that´s the downside

·
Registered
344 Posts
Curious to follow this. I have switched to 7.1, sanded, centered, cleaned, etc. When I do this they are quiet for a ride or two but it comes back. The latest "fix" was one that I read on the avid turkey gobble thread which involves applying a thin aluminium tape to the back face of the pads. This has worked the best for me yet. I have been running like this for a month or so. They still do not match my Shimano XTRs that I had on my last bike but at least they are not embarrassingly loud now.
Pads.jpg

·
old fart
1,203 Posts
The latest "fix" was one that I read on the avid turkey gobble thread which involves applying a thin aluminium tape to the back face of the pads. This has worked the best for me yet.
The ally tape is functioning as a "damper", by taking resonance out of the pad/backing plate. FWIW, most hi-po car pads avoid the use of a damper at the expense of more squeal. For that reason, most "street pads" have a damper added (often a weight attached to the top surface of the pad). If you use pads with ally backing plates (rather than steel) you might find that also cures the issue.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I tried out the new 7.1 performance pads and they have quieted down, but have yet to ride in the wet with them. Will report after a wet ride to confirm they are the fix.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I tried out the new 7.1 performance pads and they have quieted down, but have yet to ride in the wet with them. Will report after a wet ride to confirm they are the fix.
Ordered some last night after my ride. I've been doing the alcohol thing and its good for the beginning of the ride, but then the howl comes back again. I just think for a bike in this price range the brakes should not howl. If the 7.1's seem to make them quieter, why not just spec them with 7.1's? Otherwise, the bike is solid and I have no complaints.

I was reading on some other threads that the brake resonance/vibration on the rear is due to the aluminum seat stays and that Specialized has been swapping out aluminum stays with carbon stays and it has fixed the problem. Hmmm, maybe if I complain about the rear brakes I can get carbon seat stays...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was reading on some other threads that the brake resonance/vibration on the rear is due to the aluminum seat stays and that Specialized has been swapping out aluminum stays with carbon stays and it has fixed the problem. Hmmm, maybe if I complain about the rear brakes I can get carbon seat stays...
Interesting as I'm still suffering from this issue, even with 7.1's though not as bad. This isn't really acceptable of a bike of this value.

Please can you point me in the direction related to the thread regarding swapping to carbon seat stays?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts