Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first full suspension bike and can not decide between the Epic Evo and Transition Spur. I am currently riding a 2021 specialized chisel. I like the bike quite a but it does at time feel a little twichey and is not as comfortable to ride on the long 20-30 mile rides over roots and bumps. I do not race the bike and just enjoy trail riding. Most of my riding is in Indiana at Brown county. Below are some thoughts I have on each bike. Let me know if you have opinions on which bike is better for Indiana biking.

Specialized Epic Evo
  1. Similar to the chisel geometry
  2. Bike is lighter than spur
  3. Better on up hills
  4. About $1,000 less than Spur
Transition Spur
  1. Better down hill
  2. More rear travel
  3. More trail bike feel
  4. Less efficient up hills
  5. Concerned wheelbase is too long for tight technical sections

·
Registered
255 Posts
Spur all day. I have one and ride with a friend on an Epic Evo. His bike feels tall and twitchy on anything but a climb, where it is clearly faster, but that’s it. The Spur is overall more versatile and fun to decend on, that doesn’t give up much on the climbs. I’ve set KOMs on dh sections I’ve ridden on much bigger bikes, and have had no issues with tight stuff either.

It truly is an amazing bike.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about the stumpjumper but it is even larger and heavier than both bikes. Riding in Indiana I don’t need a bunch of travel, and I like being able to climb well. I have not road a stumpjumper, so maybe I’m thinking it is larger than it really is.

·
Registered
'18 Fatboy, '20 Epic HT, '21 Stumpjumper, '21 Stumpjumper Evo
114 Posts
I thought about the stumpjumper but it is even larger and heavier than both bikes. Riding in Indiana I don't need a bunch of travel, and I like being able to climb well. I have not road a stumpjumper, so maybe I'm thinking it is larger than it really is.
I think you are. It is really on the XC side of a trail bike, at least how it climbs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That is a great video, but it was also what made me question the length of the Spur. He says that the Spur felt like a handful in the tight technical climbs. The epic evo is close to what I am currently riding with full suspension. I wish I could just go ride both bikes, but unfortunately no one has them in stock.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Jeremy05,
I'm in Shelbyville and BC is where I do the vast majority of my riding as well. I look at this as...which end of the "downcountry" (sorry to use that term...) spectrum is best for you...more XC or more trail? A year ago I went with a Revel Ranger...that in the end I couldn't get any lighter than my older aluminum Top Fuel. I largely got the Ranger simply because I lucked out and it was the ONLY bike of the genre that could be had. Quickly I realized I should have just been patient and waited on what I really wanted, the EE. I view the EE as a little bigger XC bike, where the Ranger (and even more-so the Spur) are like shorter travel trail bikes. Just my opinion, but BC is a better place for the lighter, longer travel XC bike end of the spectrum. Sold the Ranger and hoping to land an EE eventually. In the meantime riding what I ride a big chunk of the time anyway, my '18 single speed Stache. Hope this helps out a little at least.

Randy

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeremy05,
I'm in Shelbyville and BC is where I do the vast majority of my riding as well. I look at this as...which end of the "downcountry" (sorry to use that term...) spectrum is best for you...more XC or more trail? A year ago I went with a Revel Ranger...that in the end I couldn't get any lighter than my older aluminum Top Fuel. I largely got the Ranger simply because I lucked out and it was the ONLY bike of the genre that could be had. Quickly I realized I should have just been patient and waited on what I really wanted, the EE. I view the EE as a little bigger XC bike, where the Ranger (and even more-so the Spur) are like shorter travel trail bikes. Just my opinion, but BC is a better place for the lighter, longer travel XC bike end of the spectrum. Sold the Ranger and hoping to land an EE eventually. In the meantime riding what I ride a big chunk of the time anyway, my '18 single speed Stache. Hope this helps out a little at least.

Randy
Was it just the weight that you did not like about the Ranger? Looking at the specs the ranger is very similar to the Epic Evo in Geometry. Riding my chisel in Brown County I defiantly feel it is fast & efficient on the climbs, but rooty sections & down hills will start to beat me up after a while.

·
Registered
'18 Fatboy, '20 Epic HT, '21 Stumpjumper, '21 Stumpjumper Evo
114 Posts
So would you pick a stumpjumper over the Spur? If so what's the reason?
My reading of your post gave me the impression that you really want a bit more travel, but something that climbs really well and can be ridden on XC length rides. To me, that would make the Stumpjumper a great option. Read up on them. Owners are either building them into more XC bikes or beefing them up to be used for heavier trails.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The weight was certainly a factor, but not the whole story. The Canfield suspension action is sublime, yet the bike just didn't feel fast. I really don't know why, don't have a good empirical handle on why that may be, but it simply wasn't a zippy feeling bike. I also didn't care a lot for the (what I consider steepish) seat tube angle. The EE is a little more slack there, hopefully slack enough. IDK, sometimes I can tell you exactly why or why not I liked or disliked a bike, other times it's just a more vague "feel" reason.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
I owned the spur and the evo. The answer is a EE. Its not even really a comparison. But for what you want to do I would look at the top fuel or blur. You don't need a 66 hta if you are already riding the same trails on a chisel. Get a faster bike similar to the chisel. I just sold my epic evo for a blur. Because I have a Stumpjumper for anything I would want more bike.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
The weight was certainly a factor, but not the whole story. The Canfield suspension action is sublime, yet the bike just didn't feel fast. I really don't know why, don't have a good empirical handle on why that may be, but it simply wasn't a zippy feeling bike. I also didn't care a lot for the (what I consider steepish) seat tube angle. The EE is a little more slack there, hopefully slack enough. IDK, sometimes I can tell you exactly why or why not I liked or disliked a bike, other times it's just a more vague "feel" reason.
The EE is not zippy either. It carries speed really good though.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
The EE is not zippy either. It carries speed really good though.
Totally agree.
Just sold my 2021 S-Works Epic Evo and kept my 2021 Orange Five Evo (29er wheels) that weighs 23.5 pounds with pedals (no dropper). The Orange has 115 mm or so in the back and I run a 34 Stepcast up front. Faster than my EE although it weighs 3 pounds more.

Also, don't take one person's review regarding long bikes in tight technical trails. That's just nonsense. See mark 4:20 if you need proof - or just watch the whole video for some Orange goodness.

Don't limit yourself to any bike. Do more research and in the long run you will be happier.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I owned the spur and the evo. The answer is a EE. Its not even really a comparison. But for what you want to do I would look at the top fuel or blur. You don't need a 66 hta if you are already riding the same trails on a chisel. Get a faster bike similar to the chisel. I just sold my epic evo for a blur. Because I have a Stumpjumper for anything I would want more bike.
You have a report on the Blur yet?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really wish that there was a good way to ride a bike before buying it now. I think that I have narrowed it down to either the transition spur or the 2022 Trek top fuel. They both look almost the same on the spec sheet, but unfortunally I can not get either bike until sometime next year. Anyone have an opinion on which would be the better bike?

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
I really wish that there was a good way to ride a bike before buying it now. I think that I have narrowed it down to either the transition spur or the 2022 Trek top fuel. They both look almost the same on the spec sheet, but unfortunally I can not get either bike until sometime next year. Anyone have an opinion on which would be the better bike?
I had the spur, then the last blur, then the top fuel, then the trance 29, then the epic evo, and now the new blur.

For what you described i would get the top fuel. Its very good in technical trails and climbing. Not too slacked out. You can lower the flip chip and still have a higher BB.

I got the blur because I care about pure speed on my xc/downcountry bike. I have a trail bike.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts