Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not hitting big jumps but I do hit small to medium jumps and sometimes I hear a loud and nasty sounding pop/crack coming from the bike near the bottom bracket area or maybe even further back. It will happen on really small jumps to flat where the suspension bottoms out and even sometimes on a really high bunny hop over a downed tree or roots. I've hit some larger table top jumps and it doesn't happen when you hit the transition smoothly but if overjump to flat the frame makes the sound. Anyone else experiencing this or know what's causing it? I know the bike has limits and I want to respect that but it will happen when just riding along the trail and boosting off small rocks and roots that cause you to land to flat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have had the same, but recently got a shockwiz and it kept telling me to add air. The factory-recommended pressure for my weight was 180psi, but now I'm at 200. It feels pretty good, more playful, I was thinking I might need longer travel, but now I'm much happier with how it feels.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The online calculator tells me 190psi in the shock so I can try and bump it up some. I did notice that adding air didn't really change the sag in the rear as I've experimented with +/- 10psi at a time.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Tighten your rear thru axle. The torque cap I think starts rattling when loose. PS use the specialized suggestions on the psi it works good and tightened up the ride real tight.
It's not that man. My axle is tight and I can go out right now in my driveway boost the curb, land to flat in the road and produce that sound. I should clarify that it's not a rattle that you hear constantly. It's a very loud and horrible sounding pop/crack right at impact when you land a jump, boost some roots or rocks on the trail and get too much air without having a smooth transition for the rear wheel to land on. I don't hear it when I'm getting just a few inches off the ground but 10"-12" of air to a not so smooth landing and I'll hear it every time.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Off topic - other than this issue, how do you like the Epic Evo? It looks really fun.
I FREAKING LOVE IT!! My other bike is a V2 Ripmo (have owned a Ripmo for 3 years) which is great as well for downhill chunk or riding in the mountains of NC but I can do 40 miles on the Evo so easily with a mix of singletrack, gravel and pavement and it just rips everything that's not too far on the knar spectrum. It's DNA is XC so you have to keep that in mind and not expect too much. It's a bike that really makes me want to go out and ride for hours and hours and crank out miles. I would not change a thing about it except figure out how to make this sound go away or know that I'm not damaging anything.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I FREAKING LOVE IT!! My other bike is a V2 Ripmo (have owned a Ripmo for 3 years) which is great as well for downhill chunk or riding in the mountains of NC but I can do 40 miles on the Evo so easily with a mix of singletrack, gravel and pavement and it just rips everything that's not too far on the knar spectrum. It's DNA is XC so you have to keep that in mind and not expect too much. It's a bike that really makes me want to go out and ride for hours and hours and crank out miles. I would not change a thing about it except figure out how to make this sound go away or know that I'm not damaging anything.
Is there a way to record the sound and post here? That may help diagnose.

Wildcard guess but maybe its the cassette rotating and pinging off the engagement? What build do you have?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a way to record the sound and post here? That may help diagnose.

Wildcard guess but maybe its the cassette rotating and pinging off the engagement? What build do you have?
Yeah I'll get a video clip of it today if I can. Comp build - changed cassette to XT from SLX. Changed cranks from SLX to XO1. Onyx Vesper hubs laced to BTLOS carbon wheels.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had the same, but recently got a shockwiz and it kept telling me to add air. The factory-recommended pressure for my weight was 180psi, but now I'm at 200. It feels pretty good, more playful, I was thinking I might need longer travel, but now I'm much happier with how it feels.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
Is the noise happening to you under the same circumstances as it does to me?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I've got the same thing.
Something is moving/not happy at bottom out. It's not the cassette, it's for sure the frame.
It reminds me of the sound a bike will make when you reinstall the shock and take the first big hit, it moves a bit at the mounts but then is silent. This sounds keeps happening.

I was leaning towards the upper shock mount on the frame, or the main pivot area. I took it apart the first time it happened and greased both those areas (the upper shock mount hardware is pretty flimsy) and made sure they were plenty tight. I have not heard it since, but may have not bottomed it hard enough also.

Just keep telling yourself "lifetime warranty" and have a backup bike ready.... :D

For those that have not heard it, it's a loud "crack" like a carbon component breaking. I too looked for damage the first time it happened, but found nothing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got the same thing.
Something is moving/not happy at bottom out. It's not the cassette, it's for sure the frame.
It reminds me of the sound a bike will make when you reinstall the shock and take the first big hit, it moves a bit at the mounts but then is silent. This sounds keeps happening.

I was leaning towards the upper shock mount on the frame, or the main pivot area. I took it apart the first time it happened and greased both those areas (the upper shock mount hardware is pretty flimsy) and made sure they were plenty tight. I have not heard it since, but may have not bottomed it hard enough also.

Just keep telling yourself "lifetime warranty" and have a backup bike ready.... :D

For those that have not heard it, it's a loud "crack" like a carbon component breaking. I too looked for damage the first time it happened, but found nothing.
Yup, that's exactly it. Sounds like the chain stay snapping in half.

·
Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
1,187 Posts
My son's EVO started making a pop noise we had trouble tracking down. I eventually found the shock bolt at the flip chip wasn't tight enough. Double check every bolt on the bike and re-torque.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts

RockShox Deluxe Select+, Rx XC Tune, Two Position, Rebound Adjust, 190x40mm
Travel indicator never gets pushed off the end of the shock.
I am not sure what full bottom is on those.
Try increasing your air pressure a lot enough that you cannot bottom. See if you get the same noise off the same hits.

if the noise is gone the issue is bottoming out if not then it is something else

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not sure what full bottom is on those.
Try increasing your air pressure a lot enough that you cannot bottom. See if you get the same noise off the same hits.

if the noise is gone the issue is bottoming out if not then it is something else
I bumped the pressure from 190 to 210 and made sure everything was torqued. I'll give it a ride and report back.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.