Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year or two ago, I saw an article and photos about E-MTB tours of the Alps. Then last fall, I got to demo a Pivot E-MTB around here.

I don't own an E-MTB (yet), but I'm trying to figure out if there are some affordable vacation destination spots where I could ride some very scenic, challenging terrain.

I've done lots of lift-access DH trips in the last 10 years. But, I'm trying to think of where an E-MTB might truly shine. Maybe it would just be next to a ski-lift mountain, but where the ski-lift riders don't have easy access to, or something....

I know it's a vague question, but I'm sure some of you will have some ideas.

(I do have MOAB on my must-visit-someday list, but I understand it's too hot to hit in July and August). This will probably be an August trip.

I've never been to Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana. Any opinions on Sun Valley, Idaho?

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Basically the entire west is BLM or USFS land. It is VERY hard to put together any sort of long/cool/extensive legal ride on an e-bike. Entire destination areas (most of the mountain bike trails in Moab, Park City, Durango, etc) are pretty much completely off limits.

I'd look at moto-legal trail systems where you could link stuff up and get epic length/elevation/views. Back in the day there was a lot of moto-legal singletrack in the Pike's Peak area, and likewise the Monarch Crest/Crested Butte area. Lots of other places, too. Eagle/Vail used to have some cool anything-goes trails.

Not sure if that's still the case, though, as I've not owned a moto in almost 15 years now. You're going to need to do some serious research to find spots in the west that will work for more than a day or two of riding.

-Walt

·
bipedal
754 Posts
The Moab area is usually too hot June to mid-September, but there are miles of "anything-goes" trails (moto and 4x4) in the area. We always take our emtbs as well as our regular mtbs when we visit. The emtbs are great fun for exploring scenic areas that might not be as fun on a regular bike (e.g., too much sand or climbing). Some emtb pics -

7-mile rim

Wheel Tire Mountainous landforms Landscape Soil

Merrimac Butte

Outcrop Rock Landscape Natural landscape Bedrock

Hidden Valley

Landscape Soil Rim Automotive tire Terrain

Dead Horse Point State Park

Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle tire Mountain bike

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'll second all the OHV trails in Moab as being great on EMTB. I will add that most if not all of Colorado state park will allow ebikes on bike trails. If you are in the Denver area, the Jeffco park systems offers tons of EMTB options from green to double diamond trails. Some resorts (steamboat for example) will rent EMTB to use on their bike park (guided tour only).

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is about 125 miles of ebike legal trails on the Colville National Forest/WDNR about 1 hour north of Spokane, WA. Batey-bould trail system (~40 miles) and its connected to the LPO trail system (~75 miles) are mixed use trails.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Back in the day there was a lot of moto-legal singletrack in the Pike's Peak area
-Walt
It's still the same. 18 good miles available from town, lots of mixed miles if you're willing to drive 45 minutes NW. There's 22K miles of moto legal roads and singletrack in Colorado, so with a bit of investigating, I'm sure there is good ebike riding around the state.

Cheyenne Mtn state park is ebike legal, they've got 27 miles total. The state park system allows them where mtbs are allowed, which is only in some. Some are hiking only, some are state wildlife areas without much in the way of trails, more of a hook&bullet experience.

This is worth a perusal, it's not super accurate yet as to use, we've come across a few errors where it says bikes aren't allowed, but they are. It's still newish. Nice phone app though.

https://trails.colorado.gov/

·
Mtbr Founder
35,469 Posts
MOAB will be awesome on ebike!!!! Though not allowed in the strictly mtb trails, they have so many cool moto trails great for a bike.

The Moab BLM district has over 3900 miles of designated motorized dirt roads and motorized singletrack. Slickrock, Amasa Back, Dead Horse, Sovereign Trail, and the Enduro Loop (near the Dubinky Well Road) are great singletrack options for E-bikes.

Some of these trails are really not that fun for many on normal bikes (like Slickrock) but they're almost guaranteed fun for most.

And your weather tolerance is better. It can be 10 degrees hotter and you'll still manage to have fun compared to an unassisted bike since you can create your own wind. Example, if your limit is 85 degrees, you'll be ok at 95 on E, approximately.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,469 Posts
An incredible destination is the Downieville area in Northern CA. Soo many trails, and three adjacent towns.

Used to be mostly shuttle rides. But turns out to be perfect for ebikes.

It's near Lake Tahoe, mostly ebike legal

·
Registered
45 Posts
Basically the entire west is BLM or USFS land. It is VERY hard to put together any sort of long/cool/extensive legal ride on an e-bike. Entire destination areas (most of the mountain bike trails in Moab, Park City, Durango, etc) are pretty much completely off limits.

-Walt
Some pretty misleading info on Moab there. There are many options there including the iconic Slickrock Trail, Amasa Back and the pretty good singletrack at Sovereign. Lots of other options too and you can ride them all from downtown.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Honestly, you could string together a great 10 days of ebike riding by basing near Grand Junction, CO. You have the Rabbit Valley area, Zion Curtain, motorized Kokopelli that would take a couple of days.

You could pop over to Moab for at least three days, to do Sovereign, Slickrock, Amasa Back jeep road, Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners, motorized Porcupine Rim, Moab Rim, Little Canyon, Bull Canyon/Poison Spider/Golden Crack, Dead Horse Point State Park, hell, it would take a couple of weeks to hit everything legal just around Moab. The trails group there hates ebikes, but fsck them, almost all of the original Moab trails are open to ebikes and are awesome. Some of the original trails have fallen out of favor because of the new, bright shiny singletrack that is off limits to ebikes, but Moab got its reputation with what are essentially Jeep trails, open to ebikes.

Back to Grand Junction, there are some awesome trails on Grand Mesa that are Forest Roads, some of them grown over so much they might as well be singletrack. Then there is the Sidewinder trail from Delta to Montrose, check this one out, all legal:

https://www.deltacountycolorado.com...il-22-miles-of-incredible-desert-singletrack/

There are also some great ebike legal trails down around Naturita/Nucla. Ridgway State Park has ten miles of beginner level trails open to ebikes as well.

It would take a long, long time to hit everything ebike legal within a two hour drive of Grand Junction. I hope to live over that way someday, and maybe I'll start a blog to guide everyone to legal ebike options in western CO.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Yeah, I guess I was referring to the "new" (last 15 years) Moab.

All the old school jeep road rides and Sovereign are still very cool and are perfect for e-bikes.

Grand Junction area is good too. I used to do an enduro (the moto kind) that went from GJ to Green River on at least 50% singletrack, a lot of which would be very fun on an e-bike, but horrible on a normal bike (too steep, too rutted, etc from moto use).

-Walt

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.