Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Here are some pics of the Epic disk that has been on a diet. She has gone from 28.4lbs to 25.3lbs. I am very satisfied with the results. I may get lighter tires but I'm unsure. The Specialized Roll-X's work very well for me and the lighter Kenda's or Scwalbes may be a reduction in traction etc. So I'll keep the Roll-X's for now. It's good to know I can knock off a 1/2 pound if I wanted to. The bike could be lighter but I'm trying to strike the balance between weight, reliablity and cost. For me, the bike as spec'd meets that happy equilibrium. So it'll stay like this until SRAM releases their front derailleur then I'll probably switch to a complete SRAM drivetrain. Thanks again to all for your advice. Here are the specs:
2003 Medium Epic Disk
Fox Float RL 80-set to 100mm
XTR 952 rear dr
XTR 952 front dr
SRAM PC 99 chain
SRAM 9.0 cassette 11-32
SRAM Rocket shifters
XT cranset w/Raceface middle/small rings
Magura Marta SL Disk brakes
Velocity VXC rims 32hole
WTB LaserDisk Lite hubs 32hole
DT Supercomp spokes
Specialized Roll-X Pro tires w/Stan's
Syntace F99 stem 105mm
Easton EC70 Monkeylite bar/1" rise
ODI Rogue lock-on grips
Thomson seatpost 30.9/367mm
Salsa seatpost binder
Selle Italia SLR XP saddle
Time ATAC XS carbon pedals

Attachments

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
floydg68 said:
Ok. Here are some pics of the Epic disk that has been on a diet. She has gone from 28.4lbs to 25.3lbs. I am very satisfied with the results. I may get lighter tires but I'm unsure. The Specialized Roll-X's work very well for me and the lighter Kenda's or Scwalbes may be a reduction in traction etc. So I'll keep the Roll-X's for now. It's good to know I can knock off a 1/2 pound if I wanted to. The bike could be lighter but I'm trying to strike the balance between weight, reliablity and cost. For me, the bike as spec'd meets that happy equilibrium. So it'll stay like this until SRAM releases their front derailleur then I'll probably switch to a complete SRAM drivetrain. Thanks again to all for your advice. Here are the specs:
Absolutely, keep it like it is. Very nice, and nice pics also. I like how you took it out to a nice location to shoot them. And, If the Roll-X's work well for you, use them. Sometimes we get carried away with trying to get down to 21 lbs, and it really isn't necessary, or sometimes even practical. Yours is a good looking build with good finish and no doubt performs beautifully.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dompedro3 said:
thats the cleanest bike I have ever seen!! wow, is it new, or do you just clean it meticulously?
It's been cleaned. I just weighed it and didn't want mud to be part of the resulting number. Believe me she gets dirty enough! Here is a pic. before she went on a diet.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DaFireMedic said:
Absolutely, keep it like it is. Very nice, and nice pics also. I like how you took it out to a nice location to shoot them. And, If the Roll-X's work well for you, use them. Sometimes we get carried away with trying to get down to 21 lbs, and it really isn't necessary, or sometimes even practical. Yours is a good looking build with good finish and no doubt performs beautifully.
Thanks. I orignially saw your bike posted on light bikes and was blown away. I actually used it as a background on my computer for inspiration during this process. How do you like the Noleen Fork BTW? Anyway, I decided to take the bike to a local park to shoot it since I put all this work into the project. It sort of brings it to a close for now. Thanks again.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
dompedro3 said:
how did you clean it? Hose? brush? I see everything, down to the teeth on the cassete are clean. it seams that I can never get my bike all clean like that...any advice?
I get my bike that clean. Its just a pain in the ass. I just spray it with the hose and then wipe it down with a dry rag. Either that, or use one wet and one dry rag. To clean my casssette, I remove it and just slip a rage between the teeth of the cogs that are attached, and clean the other ones seperatly. All it takes is water and time. Some simple green will give it a nice shine as well as a good wax. Oh ya, I ahve used q tips to get to the smaller areas, and I remove the wheels to clean them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dompedro3 said:
how did you clean it? Hose? brush? I see everything, down to the teeth on the cassete are clean. it seams that I can never get my bike all clean like that...any advice?
First of all, I finally got a repair stand. That helps a lot. Here is what I did.
Prepare a bucket of warm soapy water, not dish soap. I use Mother's car wash
Use sponge, large soft brush, small brush for drivetrain, towel for drying
Place the bike in the stand.
Remove both wheels
Spray the drivetrain with Simple green. Let sit for 5 minutes while you wash the wheels
Scrub the wheels with a soft brush-don't forget the hubs.
Rinse with very low pressure water (hose w/o nozzle ar very low pressaure)
Go back an scrub the drivetrain with the small brush rinsing with low pressure occationally until clean.
With the small brush you should be able to get in between the chainrings and derailluer pulleys.
Only when the draive train is clean should you do the rest of the bike.
Use the large sponge and soapy solution to clean the rest of the bike.
Rinse with low pressure water. Use as little water as neccessary
Towel dry.
to finish it off I use Finishline Bike polish to get the shine!
If your chain is extra dirty, remove it and clean it separately. Helps if you have a SRAM chain with the removable link.
I think that's it. Happy scrubbing!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Fire Engine Red :)

I so love that Specialized red... Mmmm your bike looks great I wish I could keep mine that clean. The matt silver on the Cove seems to get dirty just sitting in the spare room :confused: ... Which reminds me I should be out cleening it now, before tomorrows race.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.