Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I wanted to check this place out since they're rumored to be more geared towards DH and I happened to be in the area. It would be cool to have a real mountain bike shop around the western side of the valley and Agoura. Their only "website" was their MySpace page which said open 9-5 every day of the week. Got there at 4 and they were closed and appeared to have been closed for some time. The shop is friggin tiny. My average sized 1 bedroom apartment is bigger than this store. They had a max of 10 bikes in there. Hardly a "badass" shop as quoted previously, and no real potential to be an online shop with any capacity either. Between the hours being inaccurate, the bike shop being about the size of a dog turd and the location being horrendous (15-20 minutes of twisty canyon roads in any direction to access it depending on how many slow drivers you get caught behind), I can't say I was real impressed by them.

In short, don't waste your time like I did. :madmax:

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
agreed.

i have been to visit larry mettler (very well known and one of the top dawg dealerships in the US)....his shop too is SMALL. As you may know, he is killer to work with. I will defer judgment.....and with larry, cause he is always out riding, his hours also are not what i would call normal but it would never stop me from going back to him

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Compare the location of The Path to that of Epic (120 S. Topanga Canyon, Topanga, CA). You'll see why they can't really afford to have many shortcomings.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
FoShizzle said:
agreed.

i have been to visit larry mettler (very well known and one of the top dawg dealerships in the US)....his shop too is SMALL. As you may know, he is killer to work with. I will defer judgment.....and with larry, cause he is always out riding, his hours also are not what i would call normal but it would never stop me from going back to him
which shop are you talking about where Larry Mettler works for

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,899 Posts
DHidiot said:
I decided I wanted to check this place out since they're rumored to be more geared towards DH and I happened to be in the area. It would be cool to have a real mountain bike shop around the western side of the valley and Agoura. Their only "website" was their MySpace page which said open 9-5 every day of the week. Got there at 4 and they were closed and appeared to have been closed for some time. The shop is friggin tiny. My average sized 1 bedroom apartment is bigger than this store. They had a max of 10 bikes in there. Hardly a "badass" shop as quoted previously, and no real potential to be an online shop with any capacity either. Between the hours being inaccurate, the bike shop being about the size of a dog turd and the location being horrendous (15-20 minutes of twisty canyon roads in any direction to access it depending on how many slow drivers you get caught behind), I can't say I was real impressed by them.

In short, don't waste your time like I did. :madmax:
How can you bag on a company because of thier size and location? Every company has to start out some where. It's how the company treats you that is important. You never even gave them a chance before passing judgment. And then you didn't hesitate to tell everybody not to shop there. "YOU A VERY BAAD MAN" A scene straight out of Seinfeld.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can bag on them for advertising incorrect business hours both on the internet and on the phone, spouting about how great the shop is on the internet and grossly misrepresenting it in terms of size and stock in doing so. I'm all in favor of supporting local and small as long as local and small is worth being supported. If they had the stock they claimed they did and ran their advertised hours I would have no problem supporting them and giving them business since they coincidentally are closeby to one of the trails we normally ride in the area.

Thanks for the wishes Mike. Expect it to go into production this spring.

·
45,899 Posts
DHidiot said:
I can bag on them for advertising incorrect business hours both on the internet and on the phone, spouting about how great the shop is on the internet and grossly misrepresenting it in terms of size and stock in doing so. I'm all in favor of supporting local and small as long as local and small is worth being supported. If they had the stock they claimed they did and ran their advertised hours I would have no problem supporting them and giving them business since they coincidentally are closeby to one of the trails we normally ride in the area.
thanks for the wishes Mike. Expect it to go into production this spring.

Snap!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see why you call yourself DH idiot. Give the shop a break! They just opened and need to work the bugs out. Not to mention the kid who runs it is still in school. Pretty ballsy. Wish more youth of today had his drive.

·
Pro Crastinator
12,019 Posts
DHidiot said:
.....Thanks for the wishes Mike. Expect it to go into production this spring.
after seeing you ride first hand and listening to the assinine excuses you make up for your lack of basic riding knowledge, i certainly hope you know more about engineering than you do about the simple dynamics of bicycle handling....

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
after seeing you ride first hand and listening to the assinine excuses you make up for your lack of basic riding knowledge, i certainly hope you know more about engineering than you do about the simple dynamics of bicycle handling....
Um? You saw me "ride" with my DH bike at some DJ's once when I was already hurt while I spent most of my time trying (yes, in vain) to carve out a small stepdown where a ladder drop used to be. I would hardly call that seeing me ride first hand. Exactly what excuses did I make up for lack of riding knowledge?

And yes, I probably know a lot more about engineering than riding a bike since I'm friggin paid to do it. Nobody is paying me to ride my bike. Job, and hobby. Think about it.

From what I understand the shop opened midway through last fall so that's going on 3+ months in business already. If it's a kid running it then yes, his drive is admirable, but something tells me that being a student and a shopowner doesn't allow you to provide the required commitment to either one.

·
45,899 Posts
DHidiot said:
Um? You saw me "ride" with my DH bike at some DJ's once when I was already hurt while I spent most of my time trying (yes, in vain) to carve out a small stepdown where a ladder drop used to be. I would hardly call that seeing me ride first hand. Exactly what excuses did I make up for lack of riding knowledge?

And yes, I probably know a lot more about engineering than riding a bike since I'm friggin paid to do it. Nobody is paying me to ride my bike. Job, and hobby. Think about it.

From what I understand the shop opened midway through last fall so that's going on 3+ months in business already. If it's a kid running it then yes, his drive is admirable, but something tells me that being a student and a shopowner doesn't allow you to provide the required commitment to either one.
Snap!

·
Pro Crastinator
12,019 Posts
DHidiot said:
...Exactly what excuses did I make up for lack of riding knowledge?....
i watched as you repeatedly attempted a few jumps, apparently having no clue as to what you were up to. after watching you fail try after try, you then proceded to attempt to blame your lack of understanding the physics behind jumping on a long travel bike all on your particular shock settings. that also let me know that you have no clue how suspension works seeing as how you were making up random things to sound intelligent. you forget that i have been dirt jumping for years and immediatly saw that you were attacking the jump all wrong....

sprinting into a jump fully extended (never preloading a single time) then having your front wheel just roll off the end of the jump and dive immediatly and the your rear wheel viciously kicked up at the end of your attempted jump (all the result of no preloading) over and over. every time you came back and tried to tell me how your terrible experience was all the result of your shock not being able to handle the "compression" that your frame gives it. then you went on and on about how you were going to have it custom tuned and you would be able to jump fine afterward...

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
i watched as you repeatedly attempted a few jumps, apparently having no clue as to what you were up to. after watching you fail try after try, you then proceded to attempt to blame your lack of understanding the physics behind jumping on a long travel bike all on your particular shock settings. that also let me know that you have no clue how suspension works seeing as how you were making up random things to sound intelligent. you forget that i have been dirt jumping for years and immediatly saw that you were attacking the jump all wrong....

sprinting into a jump fully extended (never preloading a single time) then having your front wheel just roll off the end of the jump and dive immediatly and the your rear wheel viciously kicked up at the end of your attempted jump (all the result of no preloading) over and over. every time you came back and tried to tell me how your terrible experience was all the result of your shock not being able to handle the "compression" that your frame gives it. then you went on and on about how you were going to have it custom tuned and you would be able to jump fine afterward...
That's funny, especially since I don't think I actually did any jumps that day. Exactly which "jump" did I do? I was just building the stepdown I believe.

Besides, I don't jump. I ride downhill. I jump my bike about once a friggin year. The only thing I mentioned about the shock was that it rode like butt and I wanted to sell it when YOU asked about it.

You are also talking to the WRONG person about physics buddy...

You actually seemed decent in person. Oh well.

How the hell did this thread turn into this shitfest from talking about a bike shop?

·
Pro Crastinator
12,019 Posts
DHidiot said:
That's funny, especially since I don't think I actually did any jumps that day. Exactly which "jump" did I do? I was just building the stepdown I believe.
it was the ski jump, ask everone, you were the joke of the day (and the next couple of days too) we all heard your ridiculous excuses, you forgot you were talking to a crew of dirtjumpers who already knew why you sucked....

DHidiot said:
Besides, I don't jump. I ride downhill. I jump my bike about once a friggin year. The only thing I mentioned about the shock was that it rode like butt and I wanted to sell it when YOU asked about it.
i would have never asked, i knew your failure had nothing to do with your shock....

DHidiot said:
You are also talking to the WRONG person about physics buddy...
when it comes to jumps, i am a mathematical genius....

DHidiot said:
You actually seemed decent in person. Oh well.
oh, now i'm a bad guy for calling you out for for putting someone else on blast for no other reason than to just simply put him down...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.