Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I jumped into the world of 29ers over the winter. Super pumped! So we're looking for more good epic rides in Colorado to do over the summer.

We've done the Monarch-Crest... which was awesome and a but kicker all at the same time. My buddy said the 401 in Crested Butte is amazing. So that's on the list.

What other rides are worth a drive from Colorado Springs?? Looking for 15-30 mile singletrack trails. Or shorter places that are just musts for Colorado. We both ride XC/All Mountain type stuff.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
LOTR's fan? gotta love those movies

-Kenosha to Georgia pass via CT, or all the way into Breck for true epic
-other CT sections nearby.
-Buff Creek
-Winter Park area, there are trails outside of the resort
-Durango has tons of epic stuff if you don't mind the drive
-many more great trails in Crested butte besides the 401

Our group does some nice rides locally during the season, not sure what you've ridden here but you could join us sometime

·
Adventurous Hacker
438 Posts
Other epics . . .

You could try some other routes off the Monarch Crest
1. Monarch Crest North
2. South Fooses Creek
3. Greens Creek
4. Agate Creek

Colorado Trail Sections not already mentioned
1. Copper Mtn to Searle and Kokomo Passes/return or on to Tennessee Pass/Leadville
2. Base of Mt Princeton

Peaceful Valley/Nederland Complex
Great place to build your own custom epic by combining whatever you want out of Sourdough/South St Vrain, Buchanan Pass, Waldrop/Little Raven/Wapiti/Baptiste

An hour closer than CB, right next to Gunnison is Hartman Rocks--the ultimate build your own epic. Slightly lower elevation and exposed sagebrush hills means this will dry out much earlier than CB or Monarch Crest--don't let the non-alpine environment fool you--there's great riding there!

I hear you can make a good epic out of Cottonwood Gulch to the Salida Mountain Trails--on my list for this spring.

There are also some great epics to be had around Fairplay, especially if you don't mind using a little fire road to complete some loops. Great place to go if you want to be all by yourself, even on a nice weather weekend.

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
WKD-RDR said:
Just got a new 29er myself!

I just
got two of those 29ers as well.. haha..

Seriously, the fact that you are riding a 29er is irrelevant.. endless epics in CO.. just shoot for a new ride every week of the summer and you will cover a lot of ground, some you will love, some you will question why others pointed you in that direction and some that you will just want to ride over and over and over.. in my opinion, 401 is one of the last rides I would choose when going to CB, but thats just me..

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I think there are some epics that can only be done on a niner. I tried a few on my hopelessly outclessed kids wheel bike and turned around due to lack of lack of just wanting to roll.

In seriousness, there are so many long rides you can do, get out and explore and have fun.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
scottdavis said:
Crested Butte...Reno, Flag, Bear, Deadmans...or scratch deadmans and hit doctors park. of course this would entail shuttling vehicles, but so worth it
Doctors park does not require shuttle vehicles. Last time out there we saw a few riders climbing the road up. And a few others were delighted when we offered them a ride up in the truck. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.