Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have Epics always had chanisuck issues. I did a race today (Camp Mack Attack, East PA) and the combination of mud/clay and hard pedaling prevented me from using my middle ring for the second lap. The chain would always get suck up into the frame, and I'de have to backpedal for a rotation, then it was fine for another two rotations. Is this common on Epics, or is it just the mud.

Jake

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
PAmtbiker said:
Have Epics always had chanisuck issues. I did a race today (Camp Mack Attack, East PA) and the combination of mud/clay and hard pedaling prevented me from using my middle ring for the second lap. The chain would always get suck up into the frame, and I'de have to backpedal for a rotation, then it was fine for another two rotations. Is this common on Epics, or is it just the mud.

Jake
Built up a few of them in the shop. My boss had a custom epic decked out in goodies and carbon bits, and I also built one for a dude with all his oldschool parts. Haven't had anybody complain of chainsuck yet. Make sure the limit screws on your derailleur are dialed in properly.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This happens to me too sometimes. Really you need to make sure your chainrings are not worn out (remove any burs). Make sure the chain is not old. Use better lube in wet muddy races. Thicker stuff, not the wax stuff. With proper lube and good chain/chainrings, chain suck should not be happening. I usually have a fairly new race only chain.

In you defense, I find the chainstay shape does trap the chain once it does chainsuck.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Is it an '03? They had a "non-existant issue" that was resolved by the addition of a little dent right inside the large chainring on the swing arm. With this new little ding the chain may occasionally wrap around the middle ring, but it doesn't get jammed and its only under extreme condition or if you ignore your drive train for to long. Some '03 owners didn't have the issue, but 4 out of 5 I see from '03 have a lot of chainsuck damage to the chainstay. It doesn't seem to affect the integraty. I also have a friend that took a C clamp and worked the chainstay until it created a ding and his doesn't chainsuck anymore.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Even if you think the chainring is not worn, change it. The cause is the teeth grabbing the chain due to the forces. There is a website that talks about this in detail but I can't find it. Take my word for it, you change the ring and the chain suck will go away. I personally have had good luck with Salsa rings. You don't really need to concern yourself with the ramps on the middle ring either. If your derailleur is adjusted right it will shift just fine.

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok...

It's an 04, and I think it does have the little dent in it. Thanks for the advice guys. I think I resolved the issue by cleaning the whole drivetrain.

Jake

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've heard from a couple wrenches who have built up several Epics and they told me that they tend to have chain line problems when paired w/ the standard XT or XT Bottom Brackets. They suggested the easiest fix was to swap for a different width BB or put a shim in between the cassette and the hub. I recommend you talk to some good mechanics for details or specs.

We replaced the BB with a different size on my '03 and it made a world of difference on mine. I still have a problem once in a great while, but very rare. MTC's fix sounds like it would solve the problem w/ the chain getting stuck (man that is tough to get out when it is jammed in there!) but I'm not going to go hammering/bending a frame after investing that much...

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.