Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading that : https://www.facebook.com/Simonandre...tagram-today-but-here-is-a-/1959594744317282/

I'm curious on how people are setting up their Epic Brains. For Simon at 68kg I find his settings curious. They seem soft (PSI-wise) but he compensates with firmest brain settings.

At similar weight (67-68kg) I've been riding with
Rear : auto-sag and 3/4 for brain. Am I counting right that we have 4 clicks ? there seems to be a small click at both ends.
Front : 80-85PSI with halfway brain settings.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've got my rear auto-sag at either 3 or 4 depending on the trail, and yeah, there's 4 clicks. I don't recall what pressurei've got in the front, but its set it so that on a normal hard ride I've got a little travel left before it bottoms out, like the o-ring ends up right below the Debonair logo on the stanchion, and i've got the brain in the middle then 4-5 clicks to soft. Rebound on both front and rear is set in the middle then a couple clicks to slow.

edit... i'm 75kg

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many clicks at the front do we have ? they seem almost unnoticeable when I turn. I am guessing around 24 clicks ?!

I am curious about Simon's goal with his settings. I am guessing that since the brain only comes into play at (or around) sag, that he runs his pressure low into sag so he has a full stiff platform. I tested it in one ride and it felt like it was stiffer to have lower PSI. At higher PSI (15-17%) I felt like the brain was not really present at the front.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,829 Posts
I am 65kg.

I was running 95 front, 170 rear. Brain off.

I found that the SMALL gain I received by being locked when sprinting was not worth the lack of traction available all other times. I don't have the bike anymore, but I would rather run open or have a remote. The rear was pretty stiff when pedaling with the Brain off, but still active over bumps. The front didn't bob much at all.

I am back on a hard tail, with the option to lock my front. I like that better.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been playing the with Shockwiz lately. I'm at the rear now. Autosag for 145-148lbs has me at 165psi(25%sag). Just a quick ride with Brain at softest and the Wiz liked it. At that sag it feels stiff even without the brain. Before that I was at 135psi with brain at the 3rd click out of 5(firmest). Rode a faster ride in rocky technical terrain. The brain liked it as well! Without brain that is probably around 30-33% sag.

Seems like there are a few angles to setup the bike.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I am 165-170. I run 190-200psi in the shock. 5 clicks rebound and Rear brain I run fully firm. Front I run a Fox 32 SC fully open nearly all the time. This feels good like that over most terrain. I have had the brain fail on my twice and runs in "open" or full soft. In those cases it will pedal a little mushy on smooth ground, but technical stuff it is pretty good. The problem is that for me I really want it to feel like a stiff hardtail, but take the edge off. So brain firm is the way to go as it will open enough to take the edge off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am running a 2019 Pro model, where the Brain comes in right at 30% of sag in the back and front. I weigh right around 132-135lbs. Currently using the autosag in the back, and ending up around 130-135psi, and I run the rear Brain at 4 of 5 clicks (one down from full firm).

The Debonair SID form with the Brain has proved to be more of a struggle for me... Current setting is one Brain click (almost open), two Bottomless Tokens, and 53-55psi. This seems to work well for me - although I really would like a bit more suppleness in the SID fork.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At my weight for the front I am between 55-65psi(20psi). It's not the most supple fork(like the fox SC 32 I had on my previous bike) but it doe ride good. I added 3 tokens because of the low psi, maybe will go to 2. No Brain but the wiz did detect some bob, I didnt think it was bad.

I ordered a Fox34 120 and sold the Sid. I have not received it but that might be the ticket for my terrain.

For the debonair make sure you cycle the fork every 10-15 psi you add. 3-5 times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts