Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently picked up a 2nd hand '05 S-Works Epic frame and as part of the cleaning/lubing cycle decided to check for play in the bearings.

Well after releasing the shock pressure (please re-assure me it's not unusual to have some oil discharge), could hardly get the rear triangle to work so sstarted to loosen all the bolts etc.

The rear races were seized on the drive side and "as-good-as" on the shock side. So anyway, as I had some spares in, changed them out after packing the new ones with grease. After then moving the remnants of the main triangle as its creaking like my floorboards I will swap them all over the weekend.

Getting to the point now...

This bike had (allegedly) only been raced & ridden a few times (albeit, it was quite dirty - but dry chalky dirt) - it's an '05 model so clearly not any older than a few months - and needs the bearings replaced. Is this unusual ?

·
Dude!
132 Posts
I had a thread going on a few months back as I replaced my 03 S-Works Epic bearings this year. I would assume they are the same bearings as yours. It would be odd if they were ruined already. You can clean them and repack them if they are contaminated or just replace them. Check back a few pages for some good info on this. A guy was kind enough to provide a real nice layout on the process.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.