Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reputedly the longest point-to-point off-road ride in the East Bay, the 10th annual BADD Ride (Briones to Antioch Dirt Death Ride) will be held on Saturday, June 18. Sponsored by Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay, this grand tour of east bay parks will start at Lafayette BART and end at Pittsburg BART. It will include Briones, Acalanes Ridge, Canal Trail, Shell Ridge, Mt. Diablo, Black Diamond Mines, Contra Loma, and, finally, Delta De Anza Regional Trail. An estimated total of 56 miles (35 miles of dirt, 10 miles of paved bike trails, and 11 miles of pavement, with 8,000 feet of climbing). Obviously this ride is for very fit riders only. There will be lots of stops to look at views, insult each others' equipment, and appreciate the beauty of the East Bay. Ride starts at Lafayette BART at 8:00 a.m. For more information, such as bailout locations and route, food, and drink suggestions, contact ride leader Joe (Ibis) Towbis at [email protected].

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
imtnbke said:
Reputedly the longest point-to-point off-road ride in the East Bay, the 10th annual BADD Ride (Briones to Antioch Dirt Death Ride) will be held on Saturday, June 18. Sponsored by Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay, this grand tour of east bay parks will start at Lafayette BART and end at Pittsburg BART. It will include Briones, Acalanes Ridge, Canal Trail, Shell Ridge, Mt. Diablo, Black Diamond Mines, Contra Loma, and, finally, Delta De Anza Regional Trail. An estimated total of 56 miles (35 miles of dirt, 10 miles of paved bike trails, and 11 miles of pavement, with 8,000 feet of climbing). Obviously this ride is for very fit riders only. There will be lots of stops to look at views, insult each others' equipment, and appreciate the beauty of the East Bay. Ride starts at Lafayette BART at 8:00 a.m. For more information, such as bailout locations and route, food, and drink suggestions, contact ride leader Joe (Ibis) Towbis at [email protected]
Tentatively, I will be there! Sounds more like a cyclocross ride, tho.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan'ger said:
Tentatively, I will be there! Sounds more like a cyclocross ride, tho.
I have to say I don't know. I've never done it. I just posted the message on behalf of someone else who wants to publicize it.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you like singletrack...

imtnbke said:
Reputedly the longest point-to-point off-road ride in the East Bay, the 10th annual BADD Ride (Briones to Antioch Dirt Death Ride) will be held on Saturday, June 18. Sponsored by Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay, this grand tour of east bay parks will start at Lafayette BART and end at Pittsburg BART. It will include Briones, Acalanes Ridge, Canal Trail, Shell Ridge, Mt. Diablo, Black Diamond Mines, Contra Loma, and, finally, Delta De Anza Regional Trail. An estimated total of 56 miles (35 miles of dirt, 10 miles of paved bike trails, and 11 miles of pavement, with 8,000 feet of climbing). Obviously this ride is for very fit riders only. There will be lots of stops to look at views, insult each others? equipment, and appreciate the beauty of the East Bay. Ride starts at Lafayette BART at 8:00 a.m. For more information, such as bailout locations and route, food, and drink suggestions, contact ride leader Joe (Ibis) Towbis at [email protected].
If you enjoy riding your bike on singletrack...this is NOT the ride for you. Out of 56 miles there is about 1 mile of the good stuff. I have done this ride 3-4 times. While the whole "10th annual" thing is nice, this ride really deserves to die off.

And as for a cross bike...descending Prospector on MtD would be scary on a 1" tire.

·
Registered
241 Posts
fourarm said:
If you enjoy riding your bike on singletrack...this is NOT the ride for you. Out of 56 miles there is about 1 mile of the good stuff. I have done this ride 3-4 times. While the whole "10th annual" thing is nice, this ride really deserves to die off.

And as for a cross bike...descending Prospector on MtD would be scary on a 1" tire.
Man... BBQ to D. Elbow, down prospectors gap is a serious ride itself, let alone getting there from lafayette. Sounds absolutely insane.. which is right on my mark.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
But it's 32mm!

fourarm said:

I get your point but if that's the only section of trail I've got to worry about on narrow tires, isn't it worth the trade-off to be able to ride the rest more easily?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
fourarm said:
(Reply deleted.)

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
imtnbke said:
I knew I would be flamed the minute I posted this! OK, I'll delete my original post and leave everyone to wonder what it was about.
You can, but you can't delete the content stored in my reply...you cow-chop non-riding whiner :rolleyes:

I'll see you at BADD, like it or not, as I unpack my bike from my SUV! :p

·
Registered
411 Posts
Does anyone know the exact route of this epic ride? I am considering riding it or anyway part of it with the possibity of droping out before Black Diamond Mines. I live a few minutes away from the BDM park, and I will be pleased making it to Clayton.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Route

VTT said:
Does anyone know the exact route of this epic ride? I am considering riding it or anyway part of it with the possibity of droping out before Black Diamond Mines. I live a few minutes away from the BDM park, and I will be pleased making it to Clayton.
It might change a little here and there but this is basically it:
Laf BART
Happy Valley Road
Mariposa Trail
Lafayette Ridge to Acalanes HS
Shell Ridge Open Space(can you clean the climb here?)
Paved bike trail over to J Muir Hosp.
Briones-MtD Trail for 7-8 cattle filled miles
BBQ Terrace Fire Road - nice little climb
Summit Fire Road
Pavement to Devil's Elbow
Devil's Elbow trail(only singletrack of the ride)
Prospector Fire Road
Meridian Fire Road
fire road by the creek(I can't remember the name)
Clayton Road
Black Diamond Mines(2 stiff climbs here)
A few miles of streets and then 7-8 miles of bike path into a very stiff breeze to BART

·
Registered
411 Posts
fourarm said:
It might change a little here and there but this is basically it:
Laf BART
Happy Valley Road
Mariposa Trail
Lafayette Ridge to Acalanes HS
Shell Ridge Open Space(can you clean the climb here?)
Paved bike trail over to J Muir Hosp.
Briones-MtD Trail for 7-8 cattle filled miles
BBQ Terrace Fire Road - nice little climb
Summit Fire Road
Pavement to Devil's Elbow
Devil's Elbow trail(only singletrack of the ride)
Prospector Fire Road
Meridian Fire Road
fire road by the creek(I can't remember the name)
Clayton Road
Black Diamond Mines(2 stiff climbs here)
A few miles of streets and then 7-8 miles of bike path into a very stiff breeze to BART
Thank you for the reply.
Is the Shell Ridge climb you have in mind the one at the cross-road of the Contra Costa canal trail and the Ygnacio canal trail (at the fork left goes to Treat and Concord, right goes uphill)? In any case my answer is NO. The climb I am visualizing is way steep, and I am not a good climber (47 years old, 206 lbs against me :) )
The fire road coming down from Meridian is Donner Canyon.
I am definitly interested and I will go at my pace and enjoy the day anyway!

·
Registered
241 Posts
VTT said:
Thank you for the reply.
Is the Shell Ridge climb you have in mind the one at the cross-road of the Contra Costa canal trail and the Ygnacio canal trail (at the fork left goes to Treat and Concord, right goes uphill)? In any case my answer is NO. The climb I am visualizing is way steep, and I am not a good climber (47 years old, 206 lbs against me :) )
The fire road coming down from Meridian is Donner Canyon.
I am definitly interested and I will go at my pace and enjoy the day anyway!
He might mean Acalanes Ridge Open Space, not shell. I don't see how or why you would enter shell ridge then come back out to ride the path by j. muir. However coming out of Briones by the Acalanes gate sets you up to enter Acalanes Ridge, which then drops out to the canal tr. on the other side.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Mixed up...

biggz said:
He might mean Acalanes Ridge Open Space, not shell. I don't see how or why you would enter shell ridge then come back out to ride the path by j. muir. However coming out of Briones by the Acalanes gate sets you up to enter Acalanes Ridge, which then drops out to the canal tr. on the other side.
You are correct...I have my open spaces mixed up. The climb I was referring to starts right from Pleasant Hill Road.

·
Pale-ale-ontologist
130 Posts
Don't be a chicken!

It only hurts a little.

I've done it a few times but not in the last couple of years. I must suffer from repressed memory because I have commited to ride it once again! Long live the BADD ride!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.