Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adrian (red mr2man) and I rode an Auburn route that I had planned out a little bit ago and finally had a chance to try. We hit 10.4k feet on the Garmin. We got a late start so we had to ride Stagecoach in the moonlight at the end. The original plan called for Mercy Mile to finish the day, but we just weren't up for it in the dark. If we had done Mercy Mile there would have been almost no repetition. Check it out :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing I would've done different is start earlier so we could hit Mercy Mile at the end instead of a 2nd stage coach. That was the only real repetition. And I guess Culvert DH twice... but that was fun as hell with those new burms.

·
fRIDEday makes me happy!
902 Posts
Sick!!! I have to let those numbers sink in for a while to grasp the awesomeness!!! I love hearing of these epic rides, gets me hungry for one myself!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts

I think I got more by dropping my water bottle on flood and having to climb UP flood to find it. That was steep! Water bottle on the bottom of an ibis mojo doesn't work too well.

Thank god for a travel adjust revelation. I was still doing wheelies up most of the steep stuff, but at least it wasn't stuck in 6in fork mode. While kevin and sam rocked it on 22-25lb race 29ers, I tossed on my light wheelset (flows!) and rocked a near 30lb bike!

Drank 6 liters of water, 2 bottles of heed, and enough food to sink your battleship.

We did get to watch 3 or 4 people base jump off foresthill divide, in the dark, and open chutes. Badasses!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow, what a monster ride... nice work!

Tackling a 10k feet climb up in Auburn is my next goal. (My last was completing a 50mi ride up there.) Could you be so kind as to share your route notes? I'd like to try your route, but some sections are a bit hard to follow on the Strava map.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, what a monster ride... nice work!

Tackling a 10k feet climb up in Auburn is my next goal. (My last was completing a 50mi ride up there.) Could you be so kind as to share your route notes? I'd like to try your route, but some sections are a bit hard to follow on the Strava map.
Let's see if I can get this right...

Starting at the confluence: Stage Coach, Manzanita, back up Stagecoach to Flood, Flood, Clementine to the dirt/pavement split, down to lake and up, rest of Clementine, Fuel Break, Culvert DH, down to bottom of OHV, full Ranch trail, some other moto trails I don't remember the name of that hook up to the back side FHDL, backside FHDL to Ruck-a-Chucky and down, up McKeon Ponderosa, back down MKP and up Ruck-a-Chucky, FHDL to Upper Clementine Rd down and up, FHDL to Connector, Doc Gordon's Rd from Connector down and up, finish Connector, Fuel Break, Culvert DH, Confluence DH, one final Stage Coach (should have been Mercy Mile).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Let's see if I can get this right...

Starting at the confluence: Stage Coach, Manzanita, back up Stagecoach to Flood, Flood, Clementine to the dirt/pavement split, down to lake and up, rest of Clementine, Fuel Break, Culvert DH, down to bottom of OHV, full Ranch trail, some other moto trails I don't remember the name of that hook up to the back side FHDL, backside FHDL to Ruck-a-Chucky and down, up McKeon Ponderosa, back down MKP and up Ruck-a-Chucky, FHDL to Upper Clementine Rd down and up, FHDL to Connector, Doc Gordon's Rd from Connector down and up, finish Connector, Fuel Break, Culvert DH, Confluence DH, one final Stage Coach (should have been Mercy Mile).
Sweet. Thanks much!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
McKeon Ponderosa is a really shitty climb, especially knowing what you have left to do on the way back.

It just keeps going and going. It is also exposed. Garmin shows a high of 86 (can't be right) but an avg of 72.5. It was pretty damn hot on that climb. I've climbed out of ruckachucky in mid-summer heat, and that was pretty bad. I probably wouldn't do ponderosa on a hot day unless there was a Cytomax truck with the A/C blasting up top.

Also, the stream that crosses the road at ruckachucky campground seems aerated nicely by the rocks. We all refilled on water there. While I know it isn't the smartest idea to grab water on an open stream, we all needed it and seem fine...for now at least. Really should have had some purification tablets. Next time for sure.

·
more skier than biker
2,374 Posts
redmr2_man said:
Also, the stream that crosses the road at ruckachucky campground seems aerated nicely by the rocks. We all refilled on water there. While I know it isn't the smartest idea to grab water on an open stream, we all needed it and seem fine...for now at least. Really should have had some purification tablets. Next time for sure.
haha holy shi! (pun intended?)

Giardia takes 1 - 2 weeks to begin showing symptoms.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia

Sebt frm my iPhne usig Tapaak

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
hmm, maybe I should drown them in beer?

Already on it!

seriously though, doesn't aeration by rocks knock down on all but like...1 or 2 fairly rare strains? I swear I read that somewhere.

This ZZ hop triple ipa is gunna kill all the bacteria!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Already on it!

seriously though, doesn't aeration by rocks knock down on all but like...1 or 2 fairly rare strains? I swear I read that somewhere.

Giardia and Cryptosporidium are the two to really worry about. I really should've had my iodine tablets in my camelbak, but even those only work on Giardia plus all the normal baddies. Crypto needs micropur, which takes 4 hours to purify, so pretty much useless to us.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
A 10K in March, Nice early season fitness!

Learned a little trick from by TV buddy Bear Grylls, he gave him self and enema with nasty water, that way his body could adsorb the water without getting sick. I carry a rubber hose now on big rides ;)

·
NedwannaB
12,767 Posts
Weren't hung over on the ride?

Already on it!

Interesting. :skep: But seriously, nice job up there boys!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts