Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the fence between a new Epic 29er or a Stumpjumper 29er. The Epic seems to be a solid choice for endurance racing, but I also want the bike to be trail worthy. I know there are a fair number of folks racing carbon stumpjumpers for endurance events, so I think the brain equipped stumpjumper can be stretched into endurance racing duty with the right setup.

Have an order in for the Epic, but am second guessing whether it will be versatile enough to serve as a general purpose trail bike too.

Any opinions? Anyone ridden both? Anyone know the weight difference between an alum Epic and an aluminum SJ frame?

·
Team Awesome
993 Posts
Epic Marathon 29er weighs 26 lbs, and has light wheels and some carbon. While I'm a big 29er guy and don't mind riding a heavier bike, I think you might be better off spending 6k on a really light bike for racing (blur carbon, stumpy 29er) or get a more versatile bike (tallboy? enduro 26?)... I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't have a problem with the Epic per se, I have a problem with the epic as a 6k race bike that is heavy and probably a little fragile.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
How is a 26lb. full suspension bike with 29 inch wheels heavy? I agree that the price is completely ridiculous whatever the weight.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I think it's specific to price/weight and choices

GrantB said:
How is a 26lb. full suspension bike with 29 inch wheels heavy? I agree that the price is completely ridiculous whatever the weight.
you could instead consider the SC Tallboy for a similar price and at least 1 lb lighter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not to state the obvious but;
So much of your decision should be based on the TERRRAIN you will be riding & of course, like stated above, how much endurance versus everyday riding you will be doing. Having owned both of these platforms minus 29r status & 2010 SJ increased travel, I can say the EPIC is the way to go for pure performance for most all trails. However, if you want it all (LOTS of travel) in addition to the Epic's qualities you can ride anything with the Stumpy. My choice: The Epic truly climbs & sprints like a hardtail due to the Brain being tuned differently than the SJ's brain. Sure I give up a smidge of comfort on long descents like in the Blue Ridge Mountains but boy do I climb & around the southeast that is all I need!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.