Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to ask your help guys.
I really like to throw my leg over one of the new Epic 29er Comp.
The problem is I couldn't find one .
If somebody run into one accidently pls let me know the location .
I know winter is just started but I have no bike right now and it's really missing from the rack...
That bike is on the top of my list and I'd like to know if 29er is working for me or not.
Thanks.
 

·
sock puppet
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
I've got the marathon

and also know a guy who owns one but will be selling it in favour of Gary Fisher Superfly 100. His size is medium. My size is Large. We can try to set something up if my size fits you. If you are over 180# and over 5' 9" I think you are pretty much guaranteed that you will love 29er.

want to ride said:
I'd like to ask your help guys.
I really like to throw my leg over one of the new Epic 29er Comp.
The problem is I couldn't find one .
If somebody run into one accidently pls let me know the location .
I know winter is just started but I have no bike right now and it's really missing from the rack...
That bike is on the top of my list and I'd like to know if 29er is working for me or not.
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

Thank you for your offer but your bike is out of the question because I'm a bit shorter and lighter than what you mentioned...
I'm 5'7" and 155# so I think the medium would be the perfect match.
By the way your bike is neat.
The reason why I'd like to test ride one because I'm coming off of an Enduro and I'm a bit afraid from the nervous handling and the overall feeling of the Epic.
I have to keep my budget around $3000 that's why I picked the Comp ohh and I'm a weekend warrior who'd like to attend at the half marathon series if we'll have one....


osokolo said:
and also know a guy who owns one but will be selling it in favour of Gary Fisher Superfly 100. His size is medium. My size is Large. We can try to set something up if my size fits you. If you are over 180# and over 5' 9" I think you are pretty much guaranteed that you will love 29er.
 

·
sock puppet
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
Yes, the medium is your size...

however, if you want this bike to be raced at half marathons, among other races, you may find it a bit too heavy for that purpose. This bike is in 28 pounds weight range, which is a bit to heavy for marathon racing... You have another option - purchase a frame/fork/seatpost/front der Epic Marathon 29er combo in the States and bring it in. It is not available in Canada for some weird reason by Specialized. I went down this road and built the Marathon to my specs. Once I go tubeless, it will be sub 25 pounds bike. Now, that is totally acceptable for endurance racing... Your cost may be a bit over 3000, but is well worth it.

If you decide to go with the Comp, I can try to hook you up with a friend of mine - and you can try to buy it off of him as he will not have any usage for it once he receives his Gary Fisher Superfly 100. Maybe he will consider selling it early, as he has a couple of other bikes to use in the meantime... He didn't have much riding on the Comp at all.

If you want me to find out, let me know.

thx



want to ride said:
Thank you for your offer but your bike is out of the question because I'm a bit shorter and lighter than what you mentioned...
I'm 5'7" and 155# so I think the medium would be the perfect match.
By the way your bike is neat.
The reason why I'd like to test ride one because I'm coming off of an Enduro and I'm a bit afraid from the nervous handling and the overall feeling of the Epic.
I have to keep my budget around $3000 that's why I picked the Comp ohh and I'm a weekend warrior who'd like to attend at the half marathon series if we'll have one....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again

I wish I could afford a build like yours....
Not this year that's for sure , as a first time home buyer I'm on a really tight budget which can't go over 3 grand...
My plan is to ride the bike stock this year then next winter a lighter wheel set casette etc could come as a Xmas present..:D
I'm still hesitating between the 29 er Comp or the 26 expert which comes around 25.5# stock.
I had a really bad experience with the E-150 fork on my Enduro so I'd like to be the original owner for the bike because of the warranty...
So far the reviews are nothing but good on the 2010 brains so hopefully I won't get into the same fiasco.





osokolo said:
Yes, the medium is your size...

however, if you want this bike to be raced at half marathons, among other races, you may find it a bit too heavy for that purpose. This bike is in 28 pounds weight range, which is a bit to heavy for marathon racing... You have another option - purchase a frame/fork/seatpost/front der Epic Marathon 29er combo in the States and bring it in. It is not available in Canada for some weird reason by Specialized. I went down this road and built the Marathon to my specs. Once I go tubeless, it will be sub 25 pounds bike. Now, that is totally acceptable for endurance racing... Your cost may be a bit over 3000, but is well worth it.

If you decide to go with the Comp, I can try to hook you up with a friend of mine - and you can try to buy it off of him as he will not have any usage for it once he receives his Gary Fisher Superfly 100. Maybe he will consider selling it early, as he has a couple of other bikes to use in the meantime... He didn't have much riding on the Comp at all.

If you want me to find out, let me know.

thx
 

·
sock puppet
Joined
·
8,104 Posts
I didn't mean my build. You can get the frame/fork/seatpost/front der for around 23-2400 US$. For $550-600 you can get Crossmax 29er wheels in the classifieds. The rest is left to your imagination and maybe moving components back and forth...

In any case, you know what is best for you. I hear you about being the original owner, yes, it does help.

'10 Brain seems to be working perfectly, based on my experience and experience of the other owners. In my mind - 29ers are here to stay, so you may as well make the switch today. It will make you a better rider, as it did to me.

I can try to hook you up with the guy who owns the Comp in medium size - so that you at least try it before you take the plunge. Give me a couple of days and I will see if it is doable.




want to ride said:
I wish I could afford a build like yours....
Not this year that's for sure , as a first time home buyer I'm on a really tight budget which can't go over 3 grand...
My plan is to ride the bike stock this year then next winter a lighter wheel set casette etc could come as a Xmas present..:D
I'm still hesitating between the 29 er Comp or the 26 expert which comes around 25.5# stock.
I had a really bad experience with the E-150 fork on my Enduro so I'd like to be the original owner for the bike because of the warranty...
So far the reviews are nothing but good on the 2010 brains so hopefully I won't get into the same fiasco.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ride on the Comp would be helpful for sure.
Unfortunatley I don't have any spare parts to build up a marathon , not even a stem or handlebar...
I'm in no rush with the test ride if you can set something up that would give me an idea about the bike.
Right now it's really cold out there so I don't mind if I have to wait for the opportunity.
Thanks again.


osokolo said:
I didn't mean my build. You can get the frame/fork/seatpost/front der for around 23-2400 US$. For $550-600 you can get Crossmax 29er wheels in the classifieds. The rest is left to your imagination and maybe moving components back and forth...

In any case, you know what is best for you. I hear you about being the original owner, yes, it does help.

'10 Brain seems to be working perfectly, based on my experience and experience of the other owners. In my mind - 29ers are here to stay, so you may as well make the switch today. It will make you a better rider, as it did to me.

I can try to hook you up with the guy who owns the Comp in medium size - so that you at least try it before you take the plunge. Give me a couple of days and I will see if it is doable.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top