Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
yes it will get a new brain.

Talk about continuous improvement, addressing the previous complaints. If it really does what it is describing, I may switch over. :D

Sucks to be the one riding the 06. So you gonna trade your 06 in and go for the 07 again like you did with the 05? :D You know exactly the types of people I am talking about. ;)

http://thisjustin.bicycling.com/2006/07/this_just_in_sp.html

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'll keep my "06

No way I am taking a chance on a first year shock from Specialized. Maybe in a couple of years when they get it figured out. Until then, my Fox built Brain works just fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, I'll throw out another point of view.

From what the article was describing, it does not sound like Specialized is starting over. They are picking up the technology Fox built, and improving it (refering to the Brain).

So at least with the Epic, I'm not that concerned. I'm willing to look at upgrading my 03' S-Works if the 07' lives up to the promises. But I would have prefered that SP stayed with Fox for the brain.

I still own the original FutureShock, and it is still a handsome looking fork with good performance.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's not the design...

I am sure the design is a great design. It's the ability to build them properly and fix them when they break. I don't care how good the thing is designed to work if it leaks oil/air or looses dampening ability every few months. They could have had Fox build this new Brain for them using the manufacturing know-how they have developed over the years. Makes no sense.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I guess Fox will still be manufacturing the shocks. At least you get that impression from the pictures, eg. the levers look the same as on rp3. And as with every other branded components, it is always someone else who manufactures them, Merida makes Specialized bikes and so on.

The new Epic sounds good on paper at least. If the stumpy gets the same brain shock, then I might replace my current 2005 S-works.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I hope you are right..

but I am told Fox IS NOT making the shock. Merida does NOt make SP bikes. They are owned by the same company though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
EPICYZ said:
I am sure the design is a great design. It's the ability to build them properly and fix them when they break. I don't care how good the thing is designed to work if it leaks oil/air or looses dampening ability every few months. They could have had Fox build this new Brain for them using the manufacturing know-how they have developed over the years. Makes no sense.....
I don't recall any repair issues with past futureshock forks and Specialized tend to have good customer repair service:confused: . Besides, the original futureshock was not built by RS. This is the one that had the tapered CF legs, and no elastemers.

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
Guppie58 said:
Wow, the marathon in carbon. That is what I wanted to get this year (marathon). Wonder if the price will jump a lot. If so, I may just go get an 06 Marathon (if I can find one).
I'm thinking maybe 5500 MSRP for the Marathon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wonder how much 'different' the carbon will be between the S-Works and the Marathon?? eg. FACT 8 for the Tarmac v FACT 6 for the Tarmac Pro

Are they doing the Stumpjumper Marathon hardtail in carbon too??

·
Registered
410 Posts
aaahhh...

My bad. The original Future Shock was a Rock Shox Mag 21 with Specialized
carbon legs. The next version was a RS Judy with carbon legs.

Guys, don't get me wrong. I hope there are no issues with the new stuff. The fact is though, they hadve no past history with making forks and shocks. I see no reason for it when Fox would and has made anything for them. Oh well, we'll see. I will be the first to upgrade my '06 Epic to the new shock if it proves to hold up.

·
Registered
532 Posts
AzzaC said:
I wonder how much 'different' the carbon will be between the S-Works and the Marathon?? eg. FACT 8 for the Tarmac v FACT 6 for the Tarmac Pro

Are they doing the Stumpjumper Marathon hardtail in carbon too??
I hear there will be a carbon SJ Pro(Marathon level). We'll see

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
^that' s a good question. I would 'assume' the brain would trickle all the way down but something to keep an eye on.

$5500 for Epic Marathon Carbon sounds about right. I liked the $3800 marathon price. Wonder what the weight savings really is. Maybe a pound? I think it was in MBAction that they said the weight from Carbon to the Marthon was only a pound difference, thus the price was not justified. I know I read that in some magazine.

Wonder if they would offer a non-carbon Marathon. I can't find a 2006 Marathon anywhere. All my LBS say they can't even get one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.